Which Traxxas buggy is this? Maybe Hybrid

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

drbelleville
Approved Member

Which Traxxas buggy is this? Maybe Hybrid

Post by drbelleville »

Here is a buggy I bought for parts, yet I am not sure as to the model, and parts. Is it worth keeping and restoring?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0924.JPG
IMG_0925.JPG
IMG_0926.JPG

karnivool
Approved Member

Re: Which Traxxas buggy is this? Maybe Hybrid

Post by karnivool »

front bulkhead and rear shock tower are different from trx1 pics ive checked out, id say a blue eagle.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Looks like a Blue Eagle, but is missing the body mounts. Front and rear are the same as the Rad2, so it could be that buggy with a different chassis as well.
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

i'd say blue eagle as well, though the motor plate looks to be a later model, as it's gray anodized. the blue eagle should have had a blue motor plate, as far as I know.

most of the stuff is there, if the white cleans up nice, and the chassis cleans up as well, you have a nice car there. You can still buy shocks, though they wil be hard anodized including the caps. The blue eagle had either blue shocks, or hard anodized with blue caps. you could put blue associated ones on there as well.

traxxas still sells front and rear truck wheels, white dish that are dyable. I'll post a pic of my mostly complete blue eagle

you can still get alot of parts for it, btw. The body and original wheels are hard to find however.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

I will take some measurements, it seems it is standard buggy width, judging from previous Blue eagle pictures. what should I look out for / upgrade on the tranny?

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Blue Eagle LS chassis, the kickup is wider and the bulkhead is a giveaway. The suspension is radicator or bullet, and you're missing one piece off the motor mount/ guard.
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

drbelleville wrote: what should I look out for / upgrade on the tranny?

I have a few trucks with that transmission running brushless.I use the delrin top gear(3195x),aluminum idler(1996x),and pro diff(2520).I put a whole season of racing with the Traxxas vxl system on that trans and it never missed a beat.The diff is not the best but it works if set up properly and is maintained.I also upgraded to the newer vxl slipper.All you need is the top shaft(3793)and the slipper assembly.The shaft is a direct replacement for the stock.

As for the roller in the pics: Looks to be a Blue Eagle LS chassis with Hawk 2 suspension parts.Reason I say that is because it ha screw-type hinge pins and the arms look shorter and have less shock mount holes than the LS suspension.And the motor guard is most likely from an SRT judging by the color.

Looks like a nice project truck.Good luck! :D

S Montgomery

Post by S Montgomery »

What you have is a traxxas truck before I went to work for them and made the TRX1. The transmission is the same as a Blue Eagle truck with a ratio of 2.6 to 1 and the trx 1 has a ratio of 2.25 to 1. the model you have is about 1990 vintage. I would need to know more about the rear suspention mounts to give you a better time frame.

thanks,
Scott Montgomery

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

That would make a very original and probably pretty capable vintage racer. With the added advantage it is still easily maintainable.
So if that was your goal in buyiong this you nailed it. IF you were planning to sell on: defintiely devide it up :h ybrids don't sell at very good prices no matter how smart they are.

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

Just wanted to run an update: This buggy has been passed on to another member of the forum. I have since bought a TRX1 from another person here. The Car/Truck I had posted is to be donated for a vintage build.