A little help trouble shooting please

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

azcactus

A little help trouble shooting please

Post by azcactus »

So I picked up a buggy about a month ago and then got slammed with work. Last week I finally had some time to start tinkering with it. It had a spur gear with a million teath on it and I wanted something a little better for all around use. So, I took it over to the local hobby shop and had an employee try and set me up with a new spur and pinion gear that would be more suitable. Both were Traxxas I believe. Anyway, the spur and pinion won't hook up (bite). They just kind of spin. So after messing with it for a while I just had him put the originals back on that came with the car. Now those won't hook up either.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Where can I find a proper spur and pinion gear for this setup? I just want a decent all around combination as I will be running it at the park, backyard etc.

Here's a picture of the car now as it sits. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, here's a link to a little video I made to give you more of a visual. Thanks again. http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a355/austin3119/?action=view&current=VID00001.flv

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Re: A little help trouble shooting please

Post by PBR Allstar »

I'm gonna go straight to the really obvious one, Did the diff balls get put back in the spur gear? I've seen that one done before when a guy brought one into the LHS and said the slipper wouldn't adjust tight enough, The younger guy at the counter didn't know the deal either as he started wrenching down on the diff nut?!? I took it upon myself to step in on that one.

Next thing I'd look at is the adjustment on the diff nut, is it tight enough? is the nut bottomed out on the threads?

those are the first two things I'd look at. If you can hold both wheels and easily turn the spur gear then you have problems. You should be able to hold both wheels stationary and barely, if at all be able to get the spur gear to move with your hand and a good amount of force.

PBR Allstar
Approved Member

Post by PBR Allstar »

after listening to the video with the sound up, it sounds a little nasty in the transmission! maybe a torn up idler gear? if you take the pinion off (to disengage the motor) and spin the wheels by hand how does it feel? is it smooth and buttery? or like a box of rocks?

azcactus

Post by azcactus »

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the balls were put back in the spur gear. If I hold the wheels and try to turn the spur gear it will turn 3 clicks either way quite easily (if that makes sense) and then it gets harder to turn.

The guy at the hobby shop totally wrenched down on the differential nut (if that's the nut that holds the spur gear on). There's a lot of slop in the spur gear though. It moves what I would think is a lot if I move it around by hand.

The weird thing is that it worked fine with this setup when I first started playing around with it, but it was just geared really high or fast and I wanted something more in between.

By the way, is there a manual posted somewhere with diagrams of the parts etc?

azcactus

Post by azcactus »

I just took off the pinion gear and spun the tires. The only real noise comes from the spur gear I think as it only hooks up and bites about half the time.

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Can you take some close up pics of the spur and differential nut? Sounds like something's not adjusted correctly. Are the pinion and spur meshing together evenly the entire time when you turn the spur gear?

rctenracer
Approved Member

Post by rctenracer »

If your trans is turning freely and not binding with the pinion removed . Check the gear mesh and adjustment also check to see that the spur gear hub is not rounded out where it fits over the shaft. I would just take the time to disassemble the trans and check for stripped or missing parts.

Rustbucket
Approved Member

Post by Rustbucket »

HEY GUYS sorry for repeating this but I hit the send befor I was ready and found a couple of mistakes . YUP even your OLD Rustbucket screw up .;-)

Hello. OK IF nothing works after you do what has been sudjusted I have a feeling what may be going on. Since I cant see what tranny you but from what I am looking at over all from the rest of it. FOR it looks like the old RC 10 Gold pan.
I would sudjust removing the tranny that is if it is large 6 gear tranny? FOR that is what came stock in those. All of us knows about that tranny . What the weak spot in the tranny was the small plactic Ideler gears . That are in side, Othe then that those were good tranny. YOU may fine a couple of teeth mising from or broken off of the gears. Then you have to try fine or if you still can order a set from Assocated.

IF that cant be done you may want to concider steping up the newer stelth tranny in witch you can up date to the newer RC T 4 tranny. but you have to use the reg RC 10 Stelth Tranny eather from the buggie or truck in witch you can all most buy or can buy all of the parts to build it . Including a new case. But if your pan is not drill for the tranny you will have drill new holes so you can mouth the stelth. It is differnt then then one you may have but much better. IF you do that I can tell you what you will need to up date the tranny so you can use the newer spure and pinions . I have done this to all of mind and now I have no more problems. It is nice to walk into a hobbie shop up and ask for a T -4 buggie spure and just install it.
BUT befor you do any of that use the sudjustions that has been given to you befor you go to all of that changing I do go a long on what all has been sudjusted to ya . GOOD LUCK DON