SUPER SHOT 'ultimate gearing/motor combo?

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bormac
Approved Member

SUPER SHOT 'ultimate gearing/motor combo?

Post by Bormac »

Im going to be honest, im not realy that good with roll outs/gear ratio's for these kinds of cars. I want to run my Super Shot with modern 2.2' rims and rubber and want to get the most out of this runner. My question here simply is- what motor choice and pinion is best suited to this cars gearbox ratio? I dont care if its a silver can or a 10turn open motor. If anyone has any idea of what motor wind and pinion ratio works best with this car i'd like to hear from you.
Thank you in advance, Jason.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

My collection-http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom.asp?id=10980

mikedealer
Approved Member

Re: SUPER SHOT 'ultimate gearing/motor combo?

Post by mikedealer »

i dont have too much advice, have put my hot shot on the back burner for now.. i had a 17.5 brushless motor in there, but the pinion choices (4 of them) really left alot to be desired. i got barely ANY speed even with the largest pinion in there, really pretty crappy results. im sure a faster motor would do well, but was hoping to run it at the vnats with this car and the 17.5 or 27turn setup. i havent tryed a 27t yet but might see if it gives it anymore speed

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

I ran a 27T brushed in mine (a few different ones actually. All racing motors with laydown brushes) at the vonats. Ran the smallest pinion I could fit in there w/o drilling the gearbox and they came off the track smokin hot every time. Plenty of top speed, not a lot of bottom. Maybe go with a stand up type brush hood? It's gonna be hard to gear it for anything other than a silver can if you run brushed. I would have thought since overgearing seemed like the problem that a BL motor would be more suited for it, but I hadn't tried. And sounds like from Mike it didn't work too well either.

Maybe a sport tuned Tamiya motor? (Black can)

cyberded
Approved Member

Post by cyberded »

Hi,if it were me i would try a 19 turn with ajustable timing.you would have more torque than a 27 turn motor and less rpm @ 0deg. timing.you have to understand that modern
stock motor with laydown brush not only have tons of rpm but also draw alot of amps.thats why your getting off the track with a smoking hot motor.there are alot of different
stock motor outhere CO27,GM3,EPIC27...etc and even thought the manufacturers claim some have more torque than other they all have one thing in common,on 6cell they
rev to the moon.like i said i would try a 19 turn brushed whit ajustable timing put the stock pinion and then put more timing in it to have more top end.you will see,i think,
that a setup close to what i describe will be powerfull yet easy on the motor(because timing make the brushes arc and arccing destroy com)and it should be better gearing wise.
cant wait to hear from you if you try it.

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Thank you all for your input this far. I have a 19 turn Komodo Dragon waiting to go into this car. I also have a brushless 10.5 (19t equivelent) Speed Passion set up, do you think this might be an even better choice?
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

cyberded
Approved Member

Post by cyberded »

well the 10.5 setup is cool but i fear it could be undergear youl have to try it to know.let us know :|

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

cyberded wrote:you have to understand that modern
stock motor with laydown brush not only have tons of rpm but also draw alot of amps.thats why your getting off the track with a smoking hot motor.
Yeah, that's why I stated try using a motor with stand up brushes. I simply had no options since the motor I brought was laydown, and there wasn't much to speak of at the track as far as brushed options goes.

Mad Racer
Approved Member

Post by Mad Racer »

Jason you can get a Brushed motor to work quite well stock or mod.

Brushless should be ok but as Mike Dealer said a 17.5 will not be strong enough. You will need to do some testing with ratios.

My original Hot Shot just screamed with my Trinity 19T strapped in. Had awsome bottem end as well as it left 4 rooster tails every where. Mario and i couldnt belive it.

After that run i pulled out the electrics to shelf it as its a original not a re realise. I cant remember what pinion i had on it . Since than i have tried different winds lower and have not found a good ratio. Keep in mind there is a lot of differance between motor cans and brushes. My Chamelon is a torque based motor compared to the Komando . Different can design only but makes a huge differance.

Its hard to get a motor combo right as the internal ratio is Low ( speed ) I guess im lucky to have a large selection of brushed mod motors to play with.

When i get a chance i will tell you what i end up with.

Cheers Mark.
Vintage . Older is Better !!!!!!! Vintage At Boondal, Australia.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/australian-racing/548133-off-road-vintage-boondal.html

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Ok so I have researched the re-release manual and have found these gear ratio's.

13tooth pinion = 10.043:1
15tooth pinion = 8.704:1
16tooth pinion = 8.160:1
17tooth pinion = 7.680:1

Now I have fitted my car with a 14 tooth pinion and a 19 turn Komodo Dragon brushed motor. Im also running modern day 2.2" rims and rubber in place of the stock 2.0" items.

Any thoughts?
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Current 17.5 control class racing - people are gearing around 5.5 if you are game......it will be closer to 6.5 now though as the new software for the speedies with turbo and "ramp up" continue to inclease the RPM of the motors.

Personally I would start with the 15 or 16 and go from there - its not about run time - Li-Po's will give you plenty of that - it is about heat ..thats what will ruin the day.

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

Thank you Daz. It is indeed the heat of the motor that worries me on this car. So if Im running a 19 turn brushed motor with a 14 tooth pinion then its puts me around 9:1.
-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Luckily the Hotshot is not as bad as some cars for heat - at least the motor gets some air over it - run a low profile heatsink if you can.

Dont forget that the overall tire diameter also plays a part in you final "roll out". If you are running 2.2's or any taller tires - the car will have a different roll out. Larger diameter means more top end etc etc.

14 is very safe I would think. You dont want a brushed motor going much over 70 or so degrees if possible (celcius).... Just do the old "can I hold it for 10 seconds" test - every minute or two of running.

Cheers

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

Bormac
Approved Member

Post by Bormac »

I called into the track at Castle Hill and gave the Super Shot a real good run today. The first few laps were taken very gently then I let her have it!
My god I must have flogged the gearboxes within an inch of their lives. Not that 32dp gears sound all that good at the best of times but by the time I was done hurtling that car around the track at MACK-5 and busting some big air off those jumps the poor thing was limping around on its last few laps.
I've got to say though that with the 19 turn motor that car was FAST! Seriously this was the fastest I've ever seen a 'Shot' put round a track.
I'm running 2.2" modern wheels and rubber so the thing held on ok but its a pitty there isn't a whole lot of ground clearance with the front bumper plate and the chassis guard leaving little clearance from the track.
Still, it was fun and that's all it needs to be. No doubt I'll be tearing the gearboxes down to investigate just how many gears were torchered at my hand.

-Jason.

Still known as- bormac

cyberded
Approved Member

Post by cyberded »

wow,nice looking shot you got there bormac... i like the silver.happy to hear that the 19 turn workout well for it.
i hope that th gear are not to mangle.at least if theres any broken bits youre cover partswise with the rere.

give us a follow up.nice pic by the way.

geeforce59
Approved Member

Post by geeforce59 »

Jason what kind of wheels was that? that's a nasty 'Nazi' looking Super Shot you got there! :D