Schumacher Cat SWB Build Tread

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Jimbo
Approved Member

Schumacher Cat SWB Build Tread

Post by Jimbo »

Guys,

With Scott selling his :roll: I thought I d show you my SWB build so far. Its been a pain getting hold of some of the parts and I still need some but more on that later.

So picture 1 shows most of the new parts used in the project. I ve always had loads of NIP schumacher parts for years and years now ( I ve got 4 SWB belts for example) but some of these have only come to me in the last couple of months. Note Mint XL bottom chassis plate next to SWB one for reference.

Picture 2: SWB Manual out, which to be honest is a complete joke, how anyone could build the car from this is beyond me! Youre better off using the exploded diagram.

Picture 3: The diff :oops: Not really a fan if the original diff, too many parts to be honest. Went with a NIP Procat layshaft and black spur gear so it 'looks' right and added a MMS diff and new belts.

Picture 4: Diff and layshaft ready to be hidden in the gearbox.

Picture 5: With the rear gearbox box now assembled and a XLS front diff added to the front gearbox I added the top and bottom chassis plates and one of my NIP SWB Belts :wink: Was going to added a front pulley but although I ve got the one ways and the pulley shafts I ve not got any pulleys!!

Picture 6: Coming along nicely now. Added all the front and rear arms and front uprights which are all new. Bumper came from a trade with Scott and the shocks from Luke, cheers guys.

Picture 7: Front end now finished. Not added one way drive shafts to the front due to lack of width. All drive shaft are new and the shorter versions. My hands are still smarting from making the dam things. :(

Next two pictures are detail of front and rear ends.

And now the projects at a bit of a holt!!!!!

I need a body and untertray. Spoke to Jay and he said that he has no more in stock and would only make more if he can sell 10 of them, which I think is completely fair........ So myself and a friend are gonna take 3, is anyone else still interested in a SWB body set from Jay? Hopefully my pictures will help you make a decision?

Thoughts and comments always welcome.

James

CNA75
Approved Member

Re: Schumacher Cat SWB Build Tread

Post by CNA75 »

Top build, James! Thanks for posting pics step by step. I agree re the original manual, it's completely useless in places. I found that I had to refer to both the XL and XLS manual too just to check and then, of course, I needed to make sure the correct SWB parts (and not XL/XLS parts) were used. A fair old game, that's for sure.

I can vouch for the quality of Jay's shells so stick with it and I'm sure you will find someone to join you. If you don't you could ask Jeroen if he could spare one - I believe that he may have bought up the last of Jay's last lot. The shells are well worth it particularly as it is almost a waste of time looking for originals as they are so difficult to come by.

Will you be fitting roll bars to the car? Also, a tip on the tyres (if you don't know already), you can still get them nip from Schumacher.

Look forward to seeing more pics as your build progresses.

Jimbo
Approved Member

Post by Jimbo »

Cheers Charles, did you get the parts ok?

Already spoke to Jeroen and hes out of the bodies that Jay sold him :shock: Have started a thread in the wanted forum for people that are interested in Jay making some more so please post any interest there please. I ve got the wing as Schumacher were selling them with the XLS body up to about 2 months ago until they sold out!

Yes I ve got the anti roll bars to fit, just waiting for a trade for the ball ends. As for the tyres got loads from schumacher a couple of months ago, just need one front wheel still or I ll have to de chrome a XLS one!

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Hi James,

Nice build....coming along nicely I see :D

You would'nt happen to have anymore more of those battery clamps would you?

Jimbo
Approved Member

Post by Jimbo »

uzzi wrote:Hi James,

Cheers Chris,

Sorry I ve got no more clamps (didnt I sell you some?), I know of someone with over 10 packs tho :shock: Will talk to him for you.

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

10 Packs?....wow! I would really appreciate that thanks :D

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Jimbo wrote: I need a body and untertray. Spoke to Jay and he said that he has no more in stock and would only make more if he can sell 10 of them, which I think is completely fair........ So myself and a friend are gonna take 3, is anyone else still interested in a SWB body set from Jay? Hopefully my pictures will help you make a decision?
Al said he needed two, so that's five. Anyone else? I really need five more people (or one person for five bodies). Let me know.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

uzzi wrote:Hi James,

Mate, if Jimbo doesn't sort you out, I think I have a set or two NIP somewhere.... will take a look tonight.

Nice rebuild Jimbo!!!! Almost makes me want to start doing one of my wrecks...... almost :shock:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

jeroen206
Approved Member

Post by jeroen206 »

Great built you got there JIMBO.
I almost want to built mine NIP one.

I hope you find some more people for the bodies , so you
can finish your Cat.

Nice to see more and more SWB Cats come alive.

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Mate, if Jimbo doesn't sort you out, I think I have a set or two NIP somewhere.... will take a look tonight
Thanks Alex...much appreciated let me know :D

CATS
Approved Member

Post by CATS »

Ok, I can see you all most think Im a bit mad to sell a new built swb cat, but there is a method to my madness!! Iam in the process of building a completly new xls and I had enough spares to almost build another swb cat(ALMOST) so I thought I would sell it if the right price came along (which it did :) )my thinking is if I ever want to transfer my xls back to a swb should'nt be to much of a problem!! could do with a swb belt if you have one jimbo, pm me

I will come in on the bodyshells too I'll just take 1 set though

Scott

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I think there is enough interest for another run. I have a busy week next week, so it might be 3 wks before I have them ready for shipment.
I am not here cause I am playing photographer and on my mountain bike.
www.gojammedia.com

Jimbo
Approved Member

Post by Jimbo »

mrlexan wrote:I think there is enough interest for another run. I have a busy week next week, so it might be 3 wks before I have them ready for shipment.
YAY :P

Scott PM sent. Half the fun/stress is building the models and trying to find the parts in the first place. It took me ages to finish an XL and once it was done the challange was over so I sold it!!!

QuackingPlums
Approved Member

Post by QuackingPlums »

Man, I am so jealous every time I see one of these! Brings back so many fond memories!

I see you're in Oxfordshire too - are you ever planning on running this? If so where? :)

Jimbo
Approved Member

Post by Jimbo »

QuackingPlums wrote:I see you're in Oxfordshire too - are you ever planning on running this? If so where? :)
Was planing on runing this, but think its gonna be a shelfer. Theres nothing in Oxfordshire to run them that I know about so the back garden will have to do. :lol: