Some Cougar variations

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Some Cougar variations

Post by DerbyDan »

My poor Cougar 2 Works has been sitting on the shelf getting dusty... ever since it arrived from BORMAC in Australia back to Northamptonshire, UK. from its around the world trip.... It had also developed a leaky front shock, so it was about time I gave it a freshen-up :)

Anyway - I dissmantled the front end & have brought a replacement front bulkhead (still available from Schumacher) I thought it would be interesting to show the differences between the old & the newer part... i'm also pretty sure that there are many other variations that have been made to this one part - the one on my original Cougar 1 years ago, certainly didn't have the holes to fit the Storm or Road & Track body mounts - i'm not even sure it had those wedge shaped fillet peices on the inside faces?.. note also how the groove underneath has been in-filled where the part flexes to give different caster angles/front kick-up.

I also got a small amount of Schumacher spares with a bunch of Losi parts a friend gave to me.. amongst them were some front hubs, the casings/bearing retainer part on them seemed evidently a little deeper than the hubs I had just dissmantled from the Works car.... on dissasembly I realised that these where the double bearing version, as shown below nearest the camera..

I remember once seeing this set-up being sold on ebay - but I don't know whether this was an 'Options' part or a set-up developed later on after the Cougar series for cars like the Big6...... similarly for the bulkhead part? Obviously with the deeper assembly this also widens the track of the car a little.

P.S; I also got what I think is the original Schumacher slipper clutch assembly but I forgot to take a photo of it, i'll have to take a picture so that someone can identify it :)

P.P.S; If anyone has one single steering arm/hub for a Cougar (as shown above) Please let me know :wink:

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Re: Some Cougar variations

Post by Incredible_Serious »

That twin bearing front hub upgrade was developed after the release of the Shotgun, when Schumacher realised that the single front bearing was a bit weak with big truck wheels on the front.... a great upgrade for any truck, but not sure if really needed for a simple Cougar.... unless you're looking for a little extra width :wink:

Must check to see what is on my Big6.....

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

Incredible_Serious wrote:That twin bearing front hub upgrade was developed after the release of the Shotgun, when Schumacher realised that the single front bearing was a bit weak with big truck wheels on the front.... a great upgrade for any truck, but not sure if really needed for a simple Cougar.... unless you're looking for a little extra width :wink:

Must check to see what is on my Big6.....

Alex
Sounds about right Alex - though I can remember re-building my mate's Nitro 10 truck & that didn't have the twin bearing set-up? Maybe it came with later kits & the ShotgunII? I'm guessing the twin bearings was more about reducing slack by introducing two bearing surfaces for the wheel to run on - the original single NMB bearing I think was about the same size as the ones we put in skateboard wheels - so I don't think the bearing itself would ever fail.

I wanted to fit the double bearings to my Cougar as there is quite a bit of 'play' in the front wheels, just to try it out really - the track width difference is only about 1mm each side. But unfortunately I think Jason has used slightly larger (but shorter) screws to fit the bearing cover - which means the longer (but smaller dia) Schumacher screws wont thread into the current hubs/steering arms (Part # T328) - I have one spare one that will work but I need another....

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

While I said it was a development after the Shotgun, I never said it was standard..... none of the Nitro 10s had them, nor did the Storm, or any of the Cougars. It was an option on everything that ran those front hubs.

I would have to have at least 3 or 4 new hubs in my parts lots.... PM me an address and I'll drop one in the mail.

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

uzzi
Approved Member

Post by uzzi »

Yup those bearings used in the older Schumachers were 16x8x4...same ones used in 1/8 buggies. Pretty much overkill for 1/10 cars but for load purpose dual bearings (even if smaller size) are much better of course.

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I've got it all back together now, took some pictures this lunchtime since the sun was shining 8)

Paintwork courtesy of BORMAC

Mmmm purple! :P

Wear underneath

Love the Cougar2 shape!

Despite putting in some new plastic spigots, there's still plenty of 'slop' in the front wheel bearings so will swap the hubs for double bearings as soon as I can :)