YOKOMO YZ10 - 870C restoration to runner.....more fun :)

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

YOKOMO YZ10 - 870C restoration to runner.....more fun :)

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hi Guys,

Here is the second of the Yokomo's I am building for the upcoming Vintage Festival here in Australia. (Heres the link to my works 93: http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=21011)

This YZ10 is pretty rusty, stiff and rather well used - but under all that grime and hard life - I can see a car that has a tonne of potential.

Love how the front suspension looks in these pics - its seized up so bad - the shocks dont even return to full rebound!! LOL

The YZ10 is another favourite of mine - I actually did not actually own one back in the day (I was more a Shuey/Kysoho driver in the 80's and early 90's), however this is the car that really kicked my interest off in the brand (other than my first love - the 834b).

Heres some pics to show you what I am starting off with:

Cheers and thanks for looking,

Darryn
TO KNOW WHERE YOU ARE GOING - YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHERE YOU HAVE BEEN
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

a01butal
Approved Member

Re: YOKOMO YZ10 restoration to runner.....more fun :)

Post by a01butal »

Should be a great looking runner especially with that top deck. Keep 'em coming.

This is all very interesting!

nvxwax
Approved Member

Post by nvxwax »

Very cool, I love the old YZ10's, I think the previous owner was trying to compensate for the hard suspension with that spring clamp lol

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

BTW, I don't think you have enough pre-load in the front shocks...

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

if you want that magnesium stuff cleaned up, let me know.......

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7956

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

:lol: :lol: You guys are a crack up!! Thanks to the "Captain Obvious" club!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yeah - this is how I got it - nice and funky! This one is actually (other than the grime and rust) a bit better than the Works 93 I am doing at the moment. The chassis on this one is near perfect actually - at least they always ran an undertray and didnt use superglue to hold everything to the chassis.!!

Will be onto this one soon - should be a really nice ride by the time I am finished.

Cheers

Darryn
VENOM International | Factory Pilot - Team SCHUMACHER UK | J-Concepts USA | B-Fast Performance USA | Bugle Boy Racing | MAX Racing Products International

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

scr8p wrote:if you want that magnesium stuff cleaned up, let me know.......

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7956
Hey - thanks a heap Jason!!

I will definately contact you if need to go that far. I think I bought a bead blaster a while ago out of Hobbyking for a really cheap price......just have to find it!! :lol:

Cheers man,

Darryn

Bullfrog
Approved Member

Post by Bullfrog »

hey Daz, if you feel like giving this one away, i'll put my hand up for it :)

cheers
Rob

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Hey Rob,

Mate - I have been itching to run one of these for ages - but didnt want people toi think at the vintage meetings that I am always just running the uber competitive stuff (thats why I ran Samurais, Bulldogs, Vipers etc etc). I love runnign the less "competitive cars" - however I really want to give this one a real good go. I will only be running it in stock - but still , should be a treat to drive.

The guy I bought this off had another one- but it was worse than this one!! Could always ask!! :)

Cheers mate

Darryn

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Well, this one has completely surprised me.

The original owner told me that this car had done little to no running at all!! Now, on first inspection I thought he was completely full of it. The transmission is siezed, the bearings are "shagged" and the magnesium bits look like they have been on the bottom of the ocean since 1990!!!

After pulling it down though and really giving it a good going over - this thing is actually pretty darn good. Sure - the elbow grease is going to be needed again - but some aspects of this buggy are excellent. For one - the chassis is damned near perfect!! So much so that I am actually going to use it on a new built! There is not a gouge or deep scratch on it anywhere - in fact, it is probably better than my completely new built from kit one!! The only thing that has been done is the filing of the battery slots - and it has been done really well!! So this chassis will be used to build a new 870c to sit alongside new built YZ10 - kind of like an "ëast and west" version display when finished..... Anyways - I digress. I have another chassis that was been used quite a bit, but still completely serviceable.

The shocks are almost totally "kaput", so I will probably put the ones from my 93 on this one. So far so good - she is all stripped down and ready to be cleaned.

Gotta love the little bonus of the Novak servo!! The think doesnt have a mark on it - I think it may be brand new - just a shame about the mounting lugs being trimmed....still - nice to have for a project down the track.

Heres a few pics of the teardown:

Thanks for looking - cheers for now

Darryn

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Looks like it should clean up nicely. -Jeff

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Well, it has been a week or so since I updated this thread. Have been busy with orgainising a vintage meeting here in Aus for a couple of months time and family duties coming up to easter.

Plenty of progress has been made, I havent rushed any of this - being meticulous as this puppy is going to be a vintage racer - so no shelf queen. I wasnt going to do any mods or optional parts to the car at all, but have decided a few simple ones here and there will make it more reliable and stronger. So I have added some Lunsford turnbuckles, new hinge pins, RPM front arms and a couple of other little peices here and there.

Most notable issues with the front end were that the camber link thread on the hub carriers were totally stripped on both sides. I dont have spares - so I got a larger thread imperial screw, some allot Yokomo option balls and some Durango spacers and got busy with the drill......the result is a flashy gold ball link assembly that is nice and secure.

I have ended up using a chassis that I got in bulk lot a few years ago from a good racer friend of mine by the name of Darrin Campbell. He raced at the worlds with Yokomo - but I didnt get a 870C from him. What I did get in amongst all the parts is this chassis that has been modified a bit to allow more droop and clearance for the suspension arms. Unfortunately for me - it had lots of decals - and even worse that dreaded super glue all over the chassis again! So I used the same trick I did with the Works 93 in the other build thread I have going. I sanded it all down, got rid of the glue and made it nice and smooth. I then place a tough carbon look decal over the top and it looks pretty sweet. Because of the Jammin upper deck on this car, I have decided not to run the "spine" that goes on the lower chassis - as I dont want the car to be too stiff. The chassis that came with this car is going to be used on a "near" new built car - as it is darn near perfect and too good for a runner!!

Heres a few pics of the progress:

Here is the workbench as it stands at the moment - still a bit of work to go:

I have had to replace pretty much every hinge pin in the car - all have bent and made the suspension bind horribly. The front arms were trashed - I had the RPM ones hanging around, so I decided to fit them. I am enjoying building these Yoko's.

Cant wait to paint up that Re-production 870c shell form Mr Lexan, it sure is beautifully molded.

Cheers

Darryn

GJW
Approved Member

Post by GJW »

very nice work daz, looking very clean indeed. have fun with painting the body :)

RETRO R/C
Approved Member

Post by RETRO R/C »

Thanks Gary.

Well, the easter break has given me some time to get alot more done that I normally would be able to!! A few late nights and it is getting there. Losts of cleaning, spacing and getting everything "just right". I have used Associated TC5 ball studs where I can - as they are light and strong. Also added lightweight screws where appropriate - not because I needed to loose the weight on the car - but because it looks good and worked best with the spacing I was using on the rear camber links, always disliked the angles the standard ones had on them - so I went my own way. Spent heaps of time on the diffs and they are "butter" smooth with no slip - really happy with them. Magnesium is such a pain to clean, but its a runner -so I am not too fussed.

Only way to build a good race car is to use my biggest rule and guide when building a car - geometry. "Build it Square" is my motto, so everything is as close to the exact same length side to side. All camber links, sway bar links and steering links as the same each side. You cant tune a car if it isnt square - and besides - it loks bad if one side has 3 degrees neg camber and the other side 1! God I hate being so retentive sometimes - I could save so much time!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyways - heres a few pics:

Just have to get the shocks sorted, not sure what to run yet, might run Kyosho Golds or RC10 shocks, cant make up my mind, will probably go RC10.

Working on a paint scheme for it - something that is in my "Öld School" style, which I still use today on my modern runners.....just love the 870c "shark fin" body.

Cheers for now

Darryn

andsoitiswritten

Re: YOKOMO YZ10 - 870C restoration to runner.....more fun :)

Post by andsoitiswritten »

Nice work, I am sure it will be fun to run.