old rcca mag. article (update)

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

old rcca mag. article (update)

Post by scr8p »

i know this is probably a long shot, but i'm hoping someone has this issue. i'm looking for and issue from 89 or 90. it was dedicated just to pancars (rc10l, trc pro 10, bolink, hyperdrive, etc). they did build-ups and track tests on these cars. on the cover, there was a picture of the velodrome in california, with all of the cars lined up on the track for pictures and the concourse judging. i think it said "east coast west coast shootout". there was also a pancar buyers guide inside.

if anyone has this issue, i would either like to buy it or borrow it. or, have you scan a couple pages of one of the build-ups.

thanks in advance.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

just to add, i'm now almost positive that the issue is december 89. the cover art that i described is from january of 90. i know that for a fact, now. i remember there's a picture of the tq10 jumping across the cover, and fifthscaleracer posted the article of the tq10 in the scan archives. that was january of 1990.

i'm still think there's a picture of the velodrome on the one i'm looking for. lake whipporwill might be on there, too.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Doesn't sound like exactly what you are looking for, but I have March 1990, with Whip on the cover and inside it says East/West Oval Shoot out. Don't see an buyers guide in it.

Also have March 1989, with Thunderdrome on the cover, INDY in the foreground and GTP/Sedans in the foreground. There seems to a few articles featuring on roaders, but no buyers guide either.

No TQ on either cover.

These sound like the ones? I really don't want to part with them, as these are the only ones I have that are old.

Jay

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

mrlexan wrote:These sound like the ones? I really don't want to part with them, as these are the only ones I have that are old.
naw, i'm can almost guarantee the one i'm looking for is december 89. actually, being as though it was kind of a special issue, maybe it didn't even have a date? they always put buyer's guides in the last issue of the year, from what i remember. but everything in this issue was pancar/on road related. here's the cars i remember being in it:

rc10L
bolink eliminator
trc pro 10
mrp budweiser indy and stock car
hyperdrive 10
panda stocker w/ monte carlo ss aerocoupe body
advanced technologies agitator

there was also a tamiya hornet that was converted to an on-road car. and they also showed how to convert your rc10 gold tub buggy to an on-road racer.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

well, i've done some hunting around on the net, and it seem that the dec.89 issue was a monter truck shootout. so, it appartently can't be that one. you guys remember in the back of the issues, there was a section that had 6-8 back issues from the prior months? maybe it'd be in there? atleast i might be able to get an idea of when it came out.

i don't know............................i'm getting the feeling i might not ever come across this one. it just pisses me off. i had 14 complete years of rcca, and i threw them all in the dumpster 3 years ago. and that was one of them. :evil:

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Looking at the back of one of mine. Jan 90 has the TQ on the cover, another East West Oval Shoot out at the Thunderdrome, but no mention of the on road thingy...... I will keep reading.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I dont see anthing that has that exact list of articles or features from July 88 to Feb 90. Feb 89 is a stock car special, but doesnt seem to have that info. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

mrlexan wrote:I dont see anthing that has that exact list of articles or features from July 88 to Feb 90. Feb 89 is a stock car special, but doesnt seem to have that info. :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
hmmm, stock car special. i wonder if that's it? i wish i could remember what the cover looked like. do they show the pictures of the mags, or just a listing of the back issues?

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I have many years of RCCA stored with a friend back in belgium. The thunderdome issue is certainly among those and more from before and after. But there's no way to get acces to it and find the right one, sorry.

Like Jay, I don't remember ever seeing a whole issue devoted to pancars and alike.
That said, and the fact they 'd never devote an entire standard issue to one type of cars... it was probably one of the special issues which are not included in their standard subscription.

Good luck with the search

wyldbill
Approved Member

Post by wyldbill »

i think i remember an issue that i have with a on road converted rc-10 in it i still might have it i will check. it was a full article on the build up. the battery was mounted outside the tub on the left side,the noseplate was flattened,it had strikers all around and it had some kind of sprint car wing on top that was mounted on a spring that would change pitch while you drove. it was pretty slick does this sound like the same car or not. i will check my library i got rid of alot when i moved but im sure i kept that one because it had all the scale #'s and cornerweights for the car in the article, that is what i needed it for. let me know and i will check.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

i have a feeling this issue is gonna be impossible to find. especially if it was a just a "special issue", and has no publishing date. i practically wore that magazine out looking at it so much over the years i had it. i think it was the first rcca mag i ever bought.

i want to make a replica of a car they built. i can picture it in my head. what body was on it, how it was painted and decaled, and for the most part, all of the mods they did to it. so, even though i don't really need it to build the car, i'd just like to have it. ya know?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

wyldbill wrote:i think i remember an issue that i have with a on road converted rc-10 in it i still might have it i will check. it was a full article on the build up. the battery was mounted outside the tub on the left side,the noseplate was flattened,it had strikers all around and it had some kind of sprint car wing on top that was mounted on a spring that would change pitch while you drove. it was pretty slick does this sound like the same car or not. i will check my library i got rid of alot when i moved but im sure i kept that one because it had all the scale #'s and cornerweights for the car in the article, that is what i needed it for. let me know and i will check.
the rc10 gold tub they built up in the one i'm looking for has a bolink buick body, painted up like Ricky Rudds quaker state car from the late 80's. it also had a set of bolink foams on it with the chrome wheels. i'm pretty sure the issue your talking about is not the one. all they really did to this car was make some custom rear upper shock mount, put short shocks on the back, and added limiters to all four coners to get the car to sit like a 1/4" off the ground. they didn't change the battery placement or anything like that.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Who's your daddy?

By your last description, that is the one I have. March 89. It is a Quaker State Buick body. I will take some pics and post tomorrow. As for the rest of the issue you describe, maybe you have a couple issues mixed together.

More later.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

sweet. by any chance, does your march 89 issue have a pic of the feb 89 issue? i there a 1/4 stock car in the corner painted up like darrell waltrip's tide car? or is that the jan 90 issue? how bout a guy carrying a 1/4 scale done up like tim richmonds folgers mcss aerocoupe?

or i'll just wait to see what you got. :lol:

Dual
Approved Member

Post by Dual »

Hi Ssc8p,

I believe I have the issue you are after. It is titled 'Radio Control Car Action - Stock Cars'. There is no date on the cover but it does say 'Spring Series' and it has Darrell Waltrip's Tide Car (replica) as well as a guy carrying the 1/4 scale car you mentioned. The track reports are as follows-

McAllister Outlaw
Hyperdrive Hyper 10
C&M Cobra II
Kyosho Buick Stocker
Associated RC10L
Bolink Eliminator 10
Parma Pro Panther 10
Tamiya Porsche 956
Global Panda Stocker
MRP Budweiser Stock Car and
TRC Pro 10

Also has 'Bonus Stock-Car Buyers Guide". I am scanner(less) though.

Dual