Fishing - Repo RPM World's Rear Tower

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

Fishing - Repo RPM World's Rear Tower

Post by mrlexan »

Been thinkin bout this one, so I want to fish around for interest. Hoopty dropped some case on a RPM World's rear shock tower not long ago. Now, these things are virtually non-existent. So that being said, can we muster up enough interest on this forum to get at least 25 pieces made? I don't know if there are 25 chassis in this forum, but that would be the number to make it cost feasible. I would also need the someone who trusts me to procced me a piece or at the absoulte min, a template.

If my memory serves me right (hoop, please verify), doesn't that same tower work on the JRX2? I think these also can be used with the AE 6323 bulkhead.

Thoughts? Let em rip.

Jay

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

the tower is for an rc10 bulkhead, but it has the eyelet in the top to use the losi se body.
Attachments
IMG_1377.JPG
IMG_1377.JPG (124.55 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
IMG_1377.JPG
IMG_1377.JPG (124.55 KiB) Viewed 1724 times

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

You're going to mill some out of fiberglass? I have interest, but I don't have one to lend for a template.

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Are you going to change them in any way from the original? I hope this won't be the start of fake parts.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

They would be CNCed.

Give me some credit Scott, I would never offer something up as real when it is not. My idea was to offer something up to those that want to have the correct part on the correct chassis (including myself). I have not seen too many of them and when they do show up, everyone on this forum would jump on it, now you have a $60.00+ tower, 1 member is out some serious $$$ and 10 other forum members that are still left in the cold. On to the waiting game for the next round. I figured, why not skip all that make everyone happy for $10 to $20, problem solved.... No, I was not planning on changing anything. :D

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Oh and I have been selling a Repo CRP Tamiya chassis and RCH Tamiya skidplates for about a year now and never claimed they were something they are not. :D

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Post by MelvinsArmy »

mrlexan wrote:
Give me some credit Scott, I would never offer something up as real when it is not.
I know you're an honest guy, I wasn't questioning that. I know you'd tell people up front exactly what you're offering, and I would obviously never have a problem with that.
mrlexan wrote: No, I was not planning on changing anything. :D

This is the part I see a problem with. There's a reason why that is a $60 part. It's because it's rare, and it's real.

I don't like this idea one bit. There is nothing wrong with making a duplicate part. The problem is when it gets to the secondary market. Member X buys your part on RC10talk. Builds a car with it. Gets tired of it. Turns around and puts it on ebay. Some people are honest and will say it's a reproduction, others won't. Now we've got fake parts out in the world that are identical to the originals. Kind of defeats the whole reason for collecting "vintage" anything doesn't it?

Why does it need to be an exact copy? It can have some small difference. A stamp, an extra set of shock holes, different center pattern cut out, whatever. I don't like this idea of identical fake parts.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

i agree with mel that it should have some sort of feature that prevents it from being passed off as an original.

an extra shock hole or two would be all you need.

btw, a few weeks after i bought that damn tower another one sold for a fraction of what i paid.

i definitely had more money than sense back in those days.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

Understood. Hope you did not take me the wrong way. :D

I guess, in this wonderful world we live in, to each his own. Like I said, I did not say I was going to do it, just trying to feel out the interest and hearing you out, it would make sense to make some minor changes.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

You could probably have a single hole drilled down low that would not be visible when the tower is mounted in the full rpm car(given that part of the tower looks to be sandwiched between 2 plastic parts), but which would clearly ID it as a repro part.
adding extra shock holes or doing anything visible to change from the original part would take away the whole reason for making the tower in the first place.
just my $.02 as I don't actually have one of these myself yet, but the reproduction issue is obviously a generally controversial one.
-Anthony

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

I could put MRL etched or NC into the part somewhere. At any rate is would have to be something you can't take out of the part or add a feature that someone would never do to an original

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

if it's not gonna be the same as the original, why even bother making them? that is absolutely pointless.

companies have been reproducing parts for real cars for many, many years. just make the shock tower look exactly the same, but fit like total crap. like most aftermarket reproduction parts.

mrlexan
Approved Member

Post by mrlexan »

There are obviously different opinions on "fake", "repo", etc., rightfully so... this is America, but we are diverging from the topic....... is there enough interest for 25?

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

jay, if you need them, sharkman sent me a copy of tracings he got directly from rpm. i was gonna cut some out of graphite for one of my cars, but never got around to it. let me know if you want a copy, and i'll send it along.

front and rear towers.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

scr8p wrote:companies have been reproducing parts for real cars for many, many years. just make the shock tower look exactly the same, but fit like total crap. like most aftermarket reproduction parts.
LOL, that is so true. :lol: