2011 Ifmar Off Road Worlds on now!

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

DerbyDan
Approved Member

2011 Ifmar Off Road Worlds on now!

Post by DerbyDan »

Here's a link to the reports day-by-day from the Oople forum.

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/worlds2011/

Obviously its a little UK biased :wink:

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Re: 2011 Ifmar Off Road Worlds on now!

Post by SRTracer121 »

DerbyDan wrote:
Obviously its a little UK biased :wink:
yeah but im an american... from america...

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

It's been a bit of a fiasco with the lipo's so far it seems.

And what can i say about Masami's hat in the last picture of the day 1 report :lol:

Paul.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

Did you guys see pics of the track? That's the nicest dirt on road track I've ever seen! What the heck happened to DIRT tracks? That thing is a lot like the other atrocities of off road racing today. It is so hard packed and smooth that foams would probably get around it. They just threw in a few jumps here and there. I really miss the off road tracks of the late 80's. No you typically didn't have those giant table tops, doubles and triples. You might find a few here and there but nearly every bit of track was a challenge. There were barely any smooth sections except for the front straights. This is lots of fast smooth sections connected by jumps. This isn't a world class off road track in my book.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

the lipo thing is crazy.

things like that are why i'd never want to get to that level, that doesn't look like fun at all. :?

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

Here's a couple of videos from 2WD practice today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JemL3TDkJGQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gC64TSrVU8

Paul.

LTO_Dave
Approved Member

Post by LTO_Dave »

kaiser wrote:the lipo thing is crazy.

things like that are why i'd never want to get to that level, that doesn't look like fun at all. :?

Exactly! So the power ratings aren't enough and you have to go by dimensions? Can someone explain the major differences between a 5000 40C that is one size and a 5000 40C that another size? Why on earth would that cause legality issues?

If they want that many rules, why not make it a spec race! :roll:

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

It's not even a problem with certain manufacturers. It seems to be random as any battery from any company may pass or fail. Some have swelled slightly and fail as a result. I don't understand what the issue is with battery size anyways. I see no reason why it should matter. As long as it has a certain amount of power and the vehicle itself fits within size and weight specs, the actually dimensions of the battery or anything under the body really shouldn't matter. This rule is so stupid that I'd swear NASCAR is involved.

You've got some people filing batteries down and some sanding a couple thousandths off of them. Seriously, how is this giving an advantage or disadvantage in any way?

tecnica2001
Approved Member

Post by tecnica2001 »

That track is a thing of beauty.... :mrgreen:
Life is like a box of chocolate, you never know what R/C car you're gonna get next!!!

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

fredswain wrote:Did you guys see pics of the track? That's the nicest dirt on road track I've ever seen! What the heck happened to DIRT tracks? That thing is a lot like the other atrocities of off road racing today. It is so hard packed and smooth that foams would probably get around it. They just threw in a few jumps here and there. I really miss the off road tracks of the late 80's. No you typically didn't have those giant table tops, doubles and triples. You might find a few here and there but nearly every bit of track was a challenge. There were barely any smooth sections except for the front straights. This is lots of fast smooth sections connected by jumps. This isn't a world class off road track in my book.
I agree, why not just pave it? An off-road track should be just that. I feel a dirt track should breakdown throughout the course of a race causing ruts, dips, bumps, etc... This is whats considered challenging these days? Its the same thing every lap. What other "motorsport" that uses a dirt track stays groomed the entire race?

SRTracer121
Approved Member

Post by SRTracer121 »

am i the only one who wants to pour nitro fuel in their eyes after seeing all those horrendous forward mounted cab bodies.

id like to see just 1 aerodynamics expert design a body.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

Regarding the track, yes, it's onroad with jump... just a different style I guess ;)

When it comes to punisher-like bodies, it's very polarizing... I think the more old-school you are (like us) the more you hate them.... I really can't see them doing anything to the handling given this HUUUUUUUUGE front tower in the airflow, but then again who knows. NEver tried one on my b4/b4.1 back to back with the stock body... can't justify the $15 for such an UGLY piece of lexan :mrgreen:

What's funny about what's happening in Finland is that all the AE factory boys have a cut T4 chassis that's about 1/3" longer than the stock b4.1 chassis... but the guy turning the fastest laps is a 17y.o. (and 2x 12th WC already!!!) running a bone-stock b4.1 and saying things like "setup doesn't matter in 2wd it's all about fingers" :mrgreen:

Some of the vids are unbelievable... crazy skills... :shock:
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

After 4 rounds of qualifying Brian Kinwald has only managed to crack the top 10 once which is not good enough to average the A-main. I think there is one more qualifying round tomorrow. The lap time difference between 1st and 10th is only 7/10 of a second. That can be anyone's race when traffic becomes a factor!

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

Well, I can atttest to the cab forward bodies making a difference in the handling. I tried one (the proline bulldog) on my car this weekend, back to back with my stock B4.1 body. The difference isn't huge, but noticeable. The body kept the nose down on the jumps more than before, and gave me more on power and high speed steering. I also felt the car seemed more stable (locked in to the track surface). This was however minor. I didn't paint the body however, because i couldn't see how ugly it was that way while racing :lol: . -Jeff

adam lancia
Approved Member

Post by adam lancia »

Jay Dub wrote:I didn't paint the body however, because i couldn't see how ugly it was that way while racing :lol: . -Jeff
:lol: :lol: Great solution to the ugly problem!!!