The fall of old Tekin...

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV
Approved Member

Re: The fall of old Tekin...

Post by GoMachV »

Funny enough it kinda fits in with my “never meet your heroes” attitude :lol: Back in the day a good portion of the famous racers were drunk, high, crazy or all three :lol: Some of the stories I have heard...wow. Most of them were young kids back then.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

RS Chris
Approved Member

Post by RS Chris »

That's no lie GoMachV. Used to race with Frosty St. Clair back around 2000-2001. Nice guy and all most of the time, but he was also kinda strange. Hooked me up with some cool factory parts from time to time though, so there is that.

As far as Tekin products, never was impressed with their "high end" stuff. Ran a speedstar esc for a while, then spent the big bucks to upgrade to a G9 supersonic. No difference at all. Run time, speed, nothing changed. Still have the speedstar 20yrs later and works fine. No clue where the G9 went.
Current:RC10T, T3 FT, GT Blue Tub, GT FT, GT2 FT, GT5, RC28, SC28, Micro RS4.

Previous:B2, B3, B3 FT, 10T pink chassis, GT FT, TC3, TC3 FT, RS4MT
Tamiya TA02, Thunder Tiger TS4N pro, Kyosho VoneR, Emaxx, MX4, MP 7.5, 7.5 Kanai.

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

GoMachV wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:18 pm Funny enough it kinda fits in with my “never meet your heroes” attitude :lol: Back in the day a good portion of the famous racers were drunk, high, crazy or all three :lol: Some of the stories I have heard...wow. Most of them were young kids back then.
I agree. I think when you are really good in one area, it seems to detract from other areas. Hence the term poor bedside manner for doctors. I worked for Dell Computer Corp in the mid 90’s, helping to design their automation and factory layouts. Michael Dell is no doubt a financial wizard, but terrible to work for. There’s a parody on the AC/DC song called “Highway to Dell” that was popular in Austin Tx for a while. Employees could completely relate and used as a rallying cry - 60 hr work weeks, hostile management, nothing ever good enough. I was very disappointed after meeting him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hw9yjN9FpFA

My first ESC was made by Tekin - so I have been partial to their products. I was never a big racer, I just enjoyed wrenching on all things mechanical.

- Limestang
Last edited by klavy69 on Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: installed youtube links correctly

Nige55
Approved Member

Post by Nige55 »

Wow ! Really enjoyed reading this. Always love to hear more back stories on brands I love. A sad story, it's a different world now for people with clearly similar conditions. Never the less, adds that air of reclusive genius. I had a 410s as a kid, was ultra smooth, and I got it after seeing how smooth other Tekins were at my local club. I still love the brand, and have a few products.
I'd love to read more stories and history from that era in RC.

GregM15

Post by GregM15 »

A great read as I always wondered what happened. I run Tekin now, although back in the day was running Novak.

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

RS Chris wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:49 pm That's no lie GoMachV. Used to race with Frosty St. Clair back around 2000-2001. Nice guy and all most of the time, but he was also kinda strange. Hooked me up with some cool factory parts from time to time though, so there is that.

As far as Tekin products, never was impressed with their "high end" stuff. Ran a speedstar esc for a while, then spent the big bucks to upgrade to a G9 supersonic. No difference at all. Run time, speed, nothing changed. Still have the speedstar 20yrs later and works fine. No clue where the G9 went.
Chris, we might have met... I was in TX from 98 to end-00, in Austin, but I was driving to Performance, K&M regularly during 2000, even though most of my touring car racing was in Austin (Discount Hobbies run by Joe and Tony). I went to Killeen and Indy RC a couple of times too, I remember meeting Crosty St Flair :wink: a few times too back then. I would hang out with John Hale often... If we met you probably would remember, everyone was calling me Frenchguy, because, well, I'm French and there weren't too many of my fellow co-citizens in TX doing RC back then (and probably not now, either :lol: )
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

RS Chris
Approved Member

Post by RS Chris »

I definitely went to Performance and K&M around that time occasionally. My local track was Mammoth RC in Pasadena, it later became J's Action RC. That's where I met Frosty. We mostly raced nitro cars together, electric sometimes as well.
Current:RC10T, T3 FT, GT Blue Tub, GT FT, GT2 FT, GT5, RC28, SC28, Micro RS4.

Previous:B2, B3, B3 FT, 10T pink chassis, GT FT, TC3, TC3 FT, RS4MT
Tamiya TA02, Thunder Tiger TS4N pro, Kyosho VoneR, Emaxx, MX4, MP 7.5, 7.5 Kanai.

brn2fly

Post by brn2fly »

Wow, I didn’t know. I was into off road racing in the mid 90’s and left the hobby when I entered the military. I started back racing about two years ago. Never new Tekin had these troubles. Now Novak is gone. Sad!

Avante2001r

Post by Avante2001r »

Wow that was some story had no idea this had happened, though always wondered as the new Tekin just doesn’t have the same vibe about their products that the originals had. I became a Tekin fan since buying the 411G back in 1991. Since then have owned the 410K, 411G2 and still have them today.

Such a shame Kevin probably a great electronics engineer but terrible social skills and how to deal with people led to the demise.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Found a video purportedly featuring Kevin Orton, in case you've wondered what he looked like.

Losi LXT (JRX-T Conversion)
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky
Parts-Car-to-Runner Kyosho Rocky
Yokomo YZ10 WCS '95 Pavidis
RJ Speed Spec10 "Chew Toy Mk1"
Redcat Lightning STK "Chew Toy Mk 2"
Kyosho Lazer ZX, ZX-R, ZX-RR

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

HS-YZ250 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:40 pm Found a video purportedly featuring Kevin Orton, in case you've wondered what he looked like.
Bad link. This one should work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoE1oJWb8mM

The official TX SKUNK

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Which guy was him..dark hair dude?
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

coxbros1 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:54 pm Which guy was him..dark hair dude?
From the description in the original post, I presume the awkward guy in the red shirt.

*EDIT* and the camera guy calls him "Kevin".
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

jcwrks wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:29 pm
HS-YZ250 wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:40 pm Found a video purportedly featuring Kevin Orton, in case you've wondered what he looked like.
Bad link. This one should work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoE1oJWb8mM
Fixed.Not sure why it was wrong the first time.
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky