X5 Impressions?

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

mrlexan
Approved Member

X5 Impressions?

Post by mrlexan »

Anyone know anything about the X5 (and/or X5 conversion)? Good, bad? Worth the price? Etc.? I am not a racer, but it looks interesting.

Jay

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

I've been tempted to get one. I just don't want to use my current B4 for parts. Maybe if I have time, I'll buy a beater B4 off ebay and get the X5 kit. I think oOple has a review.

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Good cars, they take the best bits of the XX4 and XXX4 and put them together. The only real downside is the 4+2 battery arrangement so you have to build packs just for the car, unless you also run the X6 in 2wd.

Yes, Jimmy Storey has done a full review on his website
http://www.oople.com/rc/index-reviews.html

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

RichieRich wrote:I've been tempted to get one. I just don't want to use my current B4 for parts. Maybe if I have time, I'll buy a beater B4 off ebay and get the X5 kit. I think oOple has a review.
you must be talking about the X6 which is the 2wd conversion, the X5 being the 4wd conversion... great cars and ideas, but I don't think they are that better compared to their stock parents, just my 2 cents :wink:

hkp
Approved Member

Post by hkp »

I've heard its hard to get it set up right, but if you aren't gonna race, go for it! Certainly an interesting car and guys behind it are meant to be really nice :)

RichieRich
Approved Member

Post by RichieRich »

Asso_man! wrote: you must be talking about the X6 which is the 2wd conversion, the X5 being the 4wd conversion... great cars and ideas, but I don't think they are that better compared to their stock parents, just my 2 cents :wink:
It's an X-something. :lol:

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Post by Eau Rouge »

When I was running a XX4WE, I considered the conversion, but the cost was ridiculous for a car that was still relatively fragile (like the Losis). I thought the XX4 was at least as good as the X5 conversion, with considerably less cost and parts off the shelf. The big turn off to me (strangely enoug) was the fact that the X5 conversion needed a lot of hand-fitting and Dremel work, plus the strange 4-2 battery configuration to work right. I also didn't like the body at all, as the X-Factory bodies seem to thrive on ugliness. That, and the car is still a belt drive off road car that can be cumbersome to work on.

It also posed a lot of problems for anyone running larger ESC and radio gear (brushless GTB, Tekin G11, etc).

I never owned one, but I did enough research and pouring over of information on the car to know that it wasn't for me.

As far as the cost goes, I eventually wound up with a JConcepts BJ4WE, so throw that whole comment out the window. I think the X5 still is really WAY up there in price, even compared to a BJ4.

d

Bikerbob

Post by Bikerbob »

There are several of them running where I race.. both the X5 and the X6..

One thing I will say.. is they "FLY" nice.. they are one of the smoothest in the air buggies I have ever seen.. No worry about nose up or down.. wow..

Now the drivers that run these cars are not the best at our track.. but they do get them into the A-main fairly often.

Yes, except for the battery config. they have had great reviews around here.

James

Weave
Approved Member

Post by Weave »

If the battery "issue" of the 4+2 is the only thing holding you back, then there is nothing holding you back, lol :lol: I'm an X-6 owner and I transfer all of my packs seamlessly back and forth from X-6 to T4 all the time. The only real difference is a jumper wire connecting the "4" to the "2" instead of a traditional battery bar. When you need a side/side pack just put 'em back in line. The X Factory instructions clearly cover the proper way to build/modify your packs to accomodate the 4+2 and 6 cell side by side.

Weave

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I have built/owned and raced both the X5 and X6...awesome handling cars. Not hard to set up, the X5 uses the same set up as any XX4 or XX4WE. The X6 is a different breed. With the mid mounted motor, and it being 2wd, the car just handles....different. Not bad, but different. I enjoyed the cars, while I had them, I am very bad about keeping any one car very long.

That will change when my gold tub arrives next week... :twisted:
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com