RC12L to RC10L-SS

RC10/12/100/200/250/300/500/Dual Sport
General discussion, builds/restorations etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

fredswain
Approved Member

RC12L to RC10L-SS

Post by fredswain »

My friend and I have started getting back into on road a bit and I've been toying with the idea of getting another pan car. Back in the day I had a graphite 10L. I sold it to my friend and he's started driving it again. I've had a chance to play with it again as well and man was that car fun! The problem is that 235mm wide bodies aren't as easy to find. I know you can get many of the old Bolink bodies again and there are a few others out there but the number of 200mm bodies is nearly unlimited by comparison with many modern offerings. Am I correct in assuming that they 12L and 10L-SS were both 200mm wide cars? If so can a modern 200mm body be used on an old SS? The SS is much harder to find but we could easily make a new chassis and rear end plates for the 10L that narrows things down to the SS width. The reason I ask about the 12L is because we were toying with the idea of just making a new chassis for a 12L that lengthens the wheelbase to fit a 200mm body which would actually make a converted 12L very similar to a 10L-SS.

I own a 3 axis cnc and can make anything I need for these cars. The fact that they are flat makes them simple. I'm not ready to dump a few hundred dollars on a brand new car but I am willing to make a retrofit kit for the cars if it would work. What are anyone else's thoughts? Should this be possible?
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

scr8p
Administrator

Re: RC12L to RC10L-SS

Post by scr8p »

all you have to do is shorten the wheelbase on a 10lss a little bit (1/4" or so) if you're trying to fit a 200mm touring car body to it. there's always some on ebay, and they usually go cheap. no real need to design a whole new car.

if you go with something like a 10l3, or any other somewhat modern pan car, they have multiple front end mounting points already in the chassis. just put it where you need it.

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

That's the thing. It is far cheaper for us to just modify what we already have instead of buying something else. We aren't racing. We just have a world class track and want to run on it. I am really just trying to verify that the idea would work.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

If you don't mind ordering from overseas, 235 mm bodies that actually work well can easily be had in Europe. E.g. PK Model Racing (Corally) has two different ones in stock http://www.pkracing.nl/

Niki
Approved Member

Post by Niki »

10LSS sure is 200mm wide car. I'm driving my own 10LSO with a World GT body (ProtoForm Sophia GT). No modifications to wheelbase needed.
12L is much narrower.

-N-

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

McAllister still makes all of his 10L bodies and their like 15 bucks each no mods required.

http://www.mcallisterracing.com/racing/
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

drbelleville
Approved Member

Post by drbelleville »

bearrickster wrote:McAllister still makes all of his 10L bodies and their like 15 bucks each no mods required.

http://www.mcallisterracing.com/racing/
+1

And Gary is super easy to deal with.