How to set up Airtronics XL2P with Novak T4

Brushed, nicad, radios, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

AndrewSi
Approved Member

How to set up Airtronics XL2P with Novak T4

Post by AndrewSi »

Hi, new here and wanted to ask and see if someone can help me out. I just picked up Novak T4 esc for my gold pan but I am having a hard time setting it up. Either that or the esc is no good. The esc is plugged into slot number 2 on an Airtronics 2 channel 75 AM band receiver mated to an airtronics xl2p. When switched on the led stays lit and when I go to adjust the neutral pot to find neutral it never turns off like the instructions states. I have tried adjusting the THRO EPA High/low pots as well as other adjustments on the transmitter but no dice. The led always stays lit no matter what. Never got any movement out of the motor when pulling the throttle trigger.

The steering works but thats about it. If someone can help me it would be great, hopefull soon too, so that way if the esc is no good I can contact the seller on ebay.

Thanks in advance!

aeiou
Approved Member

Re: How to set up Airtronics XL2P with Novak T4

Post by aeiou »

Plug your steering servo into channel 2 and see if the throttle trigger moves the servo. that'll rule out the radio. Also check the wires on the plug from the ESC to make sure they are in the correct order (white/black/red).

pwc167

Post by pwc167 »

It's also possible that there's an issue with the throttle trigger, I had a problem with mine not making contact. I found a parts transmitter and was able to replace it

Bongo Fury
Approved Member

Post by Bongo Fury »

Good points. In case you’re not already aware the wiring order wasn’t standardized between radio brands long ago. You could easily have a T4 wired for a different radio system. Since your steering servo works perhaps the easiest thing to do is make sure the T4 wiring order matches up with the steering servo order going to the receiver.

Regards

Edit: Upon reflection it occurs to me that if your steering is working, and assuming the T4 is supplying the power for the Rx & steering, the point about wiring order may not be very helpful. :oops:

AndrewSi
Approved Member

Post by AndrewSi »

It turns out my receiver took a dump on me. channel two does not work or seem to get any power, however it is still able to power the steeing servo. Tested the esc on another receiver and it works.

Weird because it was working fine before. If anyone has a mid/late 80's to early 90's airtronics fm receiver that they want to get rid of let me know, that way I can use my 3ps. I want to keep it old school.