New to me Blue Eagle LS

The place for all things Traxxas.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Momo5
Approved Member

New to me Blue Eagle LS

Post by Momo5 »

I bought my first electric Traxxas last night on ebay. Obviously I havent gotten it yet, but I'm pretty pumped about it.

According to the auction, it has MIP CVDs, MIP Gold shock shafts, ball bearing steering, Lunsford Titanium turnbuckles, Fiber-Lyte Graphite chassis.

It doesnt look like I'll need to do much to complete it...maybe a gear cover, and a battery strap. I'm thinking of getting one of the reproduction nitro hawk bodies and white dished wheels to finish it up.

jwscab

Re: New to me Blue Eagle LS

Post by jwscab »

looks great! nice collection of hop up parts too!

the white dish wheels are readily available and dirt cheap too! Gear cover is also easy to find in black, but not white.

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Post by 3trxvintage »

Awesome find! Love the graphite chassis, I have never seen one of those before. Look forward to seeing the finished project :)

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

I have one of those chassis too. Mine is metallic black with glitter in it though...I hear you thinking : that can't be original. But it does have the silver traxxas sticker with a serial number.
I don't want to scare you but I wonder if yours has not been 'beautified' with a printed foil?
Are you planning to run it? Would make a killer vintage stadiuml truck with spere parts relatively easy to find.
Anyone know what the difference is with the LS2?

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

Mr. ED wrote:I don't want to scare you but I wonder if yours has not been 'beautified' with a printed foil?
Are you planning to run it? Would make a killer vintage stadiuml truck with spere parts relatively easy to find.
I cant be too sure about the chassis until it arrives in about a week, but the seller on ebay sells a ton of RC stuff...so I'm hoping he knows what hes talking about. He did state that the chassis was a fiber lyte. I honestly dont care if it is or isnt, as long as it is a graphite chassis without anything on it to pretty it up. Yeah, I will run it for sure although I tend to drive really slow on a track because I dont want to break anything.

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

Mr. ED wrote:I have one of those chassis too. Mine is metallic black with glitter in it though...I hear you thinking : that can't be original. But it does have the silver traxxas sticker with a serial number.
I don't want to scare you but I wonder if yours has not been 'beautified' with a printed foil?

The chassis you have is an original Traxxas piece. It came on the 1901 Eagle and the earlier 1902 Blue Eagle. The Blue Eagle was later updated to the flat chassis that is also used on the LS and LS-II. The chassis in the pics above is definitely aftermarket.

Main difference between the LS and LS-II is the upper chassis plate and battery boxes that weren't used on the previous models.

fakiee
Approved Member

Post by fakiee »

Don't think I've seen that truck before but if I saw it on ebay I would have snapped it up, that chassis looks amazing!

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

Can anyone point me in the right direction for parts? I found the white dished front wheels on ebay, but I cant find any for the rear. You guys also say the black gear cover is fairly easy to find, but I havent had any luck with that either.

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

rear rims:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=traxxas+1972&_sacat=0&_odkw=traxxas+hawk&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

front rims:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=traxxas+1974&_sacat=0&_odkw=traxxas+1972&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

I remember seeing the black gear cover, but can't find it now. I used the RPM gear cover for the Slash/Rustler/Bandit and it worked decent. Only difference I noticed is that the Slash cover doesn't have the lip around the outer edge like the Eagle one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RPM-80522-Trasmission-Gear-Cover-Traxxas-Slash-NIB-/200668501341?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2eb8c6555d

bearrickster
Approved Member

Post by bearrickster »

harry697 wrote:I remember seeing the black gear cover, but can't find it now.
I have this one if it will fit let me know?
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (35.91 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
001.JPG
001.JPG (35.91 KiB) Viewed 2075 times
LOSI RULES!!

Bearrickster's Rides
http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=16714

3trxvintage
Approved Member

Post by 3trxvintage »

The rustler bandit gear cover will work just fine. I picked one up for my LS a few weeks ago and it fits. The part number is #3792. See picture…
Attachments
Desktop.jpg

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

Yup, the screw pattern and gear cover shape is the same. Reason I went with the RPM is because the stock gear cover has that hole in it to clear the driveshaft yoke. Kinda defeats the purpose of the gear cover IMO. :roll: Also, like I said in my previous post, the Rustler cover doesn't have the lip around it like the Eagle cover, so it doesn't quite seal as well as the original. The gear cover on the Rustler actually sits in a groove in the trans case. But if you need it for looks or to make the truck race legal, it works just fine. For a runner, I wouldn't even bother using any cover.

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

Thats for the info fellas. harry697--that link for rear rims is great. I think my search was a little too narrow. I didnt know they used the same rims for quite a few different trucks.

harry697
Approved Member

Post by harry697 »

Momo5 wrote:Thats for the info fellas. harry697--that link for rear rims is great. I think my search was a little too narrow. I didnt know they used the same rims for quite a few different trucks.

C'mon! It's Traxxas! They only make 3 different types of rims to fit every vehicle they've ever made! :lol:

Well maybe that's an exaggeration, but not too far off. :mrgreen:

Good luck with the build! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Momo5
Approved Member

Post by Momo5 »

Got it in the mail yesterday. It looks pretty sweet. The only thing I can see wrong with it is one of the rear stub axle carrier is completely cracked in half. Im going to put a couple of items I'm looking for in the wanted section.

I really dig the carbon fiber chassis. It does have some scratches underneith, but Ive never seen a chassis like this on a BE.