A Vintage race in the West...

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Orange
Approved Member

Re: A Vintage race in the West...

Post by Orange »

You all should do that idea... I live in Phoenix, so its not like I am available to go race at OCRC on a whim.

I'm not your guy for something like that. Sorry. When I started this thread it was about the possibility of a race with meaning, not club racing.
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

body snatcher
Approved Member

Post by body snatcher »

Believe me,I tried. I drove down there,looked at the track,and talked to the track owners. The main concern I picked up on here was approaching the track owners with the idea and being taken seriously. I did that. And it was taken seriously,with great enthusiasm I might add. I did what I feel nobody else wanted to do for fear of not being taken seriously. The only thing left to do was set up a day,time,and show up. But it appeared interest in the idea quickly disolved,leaving one to question the seriousness of those who showed such strong enthusiasm to begin with. Again, its the attitude. If youre really serious about vintage,NO vintage race/event has to be big to have"meaning". Thats the type of attitude that killed what could have been a really good thing.Oh well.....

JK Racing

Post by JK Racing »

I want a vintage class to be here in SoCal, my problem is juggling life with racing. Little League now owns my free time, locking up what little time I had left to race :(

By this summer, LL should be winding down and I can get out to the track more often and help drum up support.

One of the other issues (IMO), is many people are collectors and occasional runners, not many (in SoCal) are racers (again, my opinion). If they are racers, the vintage class would be in addition to all the other classes (short bus, wheeler & buggy).

I would love a local meeting @ OCRC, big track or little track, doesnt matter to me, I love 'em both. First step may be to get a vintage "club" to group together and have OCRC the meeting place (like we talked about body snatcher), get the interest up and numbers enough to generate an actual racing class.
--Joey --
Vintage A&L and Factory Works
Old School Racer & Vintage RC Car nut
JKRacingRC.com

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

body snatcher wrote:Believe me,I tried. I drove down there,looked at the track,and talked to the track owners. The main concern I picked up on here was approaching the track owners with the idea and being taken seriously. I did that. And it was taken seriously,with great enthusiasm I might add. I did what I feel nobody else wanted to do for fear of not being taken seriously. The only thing left to do was set up a day,time,and show up. But it appeared interest in the idea quickly disolved,leaving one to question the seriousness of those who showed such strong enthusiasm to begin with. Again, its the attitude. If youre really serious about vintage,NO vintage race/event has to be big to have"meaning". Thats the type of attitude that killed what could have been a really good thing.Oh well.....
Without sounding like toobig of an ass, this is a vintage board- very much a non-racing forum, in fact I would estimate less than 2% race weekly and less than 5% race yearly, so your "crowd" is pretty damn small. Use the search feature, there has been TONS of talk about this subject, but it comes down to a very limited numbers of participants, which nullifies the idea to mainstream "market" for such an event. build a track, start a club or race an old buggy weekly. That's about all you have available. I ran my gold tub weekly for (2) years and A-Mained (with full sponsored guys racing weekly) and (1) other guy built and raced one in the entire 2 years.

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

Thats really why to me it seems like something big and grand would be more ideal to me. If its promoted right, we are in the backyard of a lot of the guys from BITD that COULD be something to try and get them back together. I say that loosely of course, but I have mentioned the idea to a few and they have said if their schedule allowed for it, they would be interested.
So a club type get together is great, and if my schedule allows it, i will go... But something big and great would be more beneficial for our purpose I think because of the few of us that do it AND the specialty of the cars we are driving as Reggie suggested. Plus if its scheduled right, then it could be something that might draw a few people from all over, not just the west. The intention of the thread was to get an idea of what kind of interest it garnered or if it was just a pipe dream inside my head, :)
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
My feedback

body snatcher
Approved Member

Post by body snatcher »

I have to agree with all of you on the race issue. However,Joey and I did discuss possibly having a weekly or even a bi weekly meet where we can just meet up,hang out,talk shop,and make new friends. This sounds a little more realistic. Our local rc flying club has open meetings like this to discuss future events,eat(pizza,burgers,or potluck),swap stories,b/s/t parts and kits,and draw new people to the hobby. And these meetings arent even held at the flying field,theyre held at in a multi purpose room at a park on tuesday evenings. Theres no flying(obviously),but everyone has a good time and looks forward to the next meeting.I think that if we applied the same concept here,It will be a success,and the numbers will grow in time. What do you guys think?

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

Sounds great... You could just do it a pizza place or something for the time being. At least you can have some food and a beer, :)
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
My feedback

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

body snatcher wrote:I have to agree with all of you on the race issue. However,Joey and I did discuss possibly having a weekly or even a bi weekly meet where we can just meet up,hang out,talk shop,and make new friends. This sounds a little more realistic. Our local rc flying club has open meetings like this to discuss future events,eat(pizza,burgers,or potluck),swap stories,b/s/t parts and kits,and draw new people to the hobby. And these meetings arent even held at the flying field,theyre held at in a multi purpose room at a park on tuesday evenings. Theres no flying(obviously),but everyone has a good time and looks forward to the next meeting.I think that if we applied the same concept here,It will be a success,and the numbers will grow in time. What do you guys think?
If there's going to be something like this in the OC/LA area, I'm in. I don't have any fellow vintage R/C friends that are local. Would be great to hang out and meet some people.
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

body snatcher
Approved Member

Post by body snatcher »

Ok. Now to pick a particular day/evening,time,and place. Anybody else onboard? We have several burger and pizza restaurants locally that have separate overflow and patio dining areas that can be used for our get togethers at no extra charge. I have a couple of places in particular that i spoke with that are more than willing to let us bring in our cars and use their separate enclosed patio area. One is hoffs hut in long beach,and the other is a burger place called pauls place in anaheim/buena park. Both places are willing to accommodate us and our cars. The food is great and reasonably priced at both places. The facilities however are much larger at hoffs hut in long beach,and they have a bar. I should also mention,due to the evolution of this thread,Ill be posting this idea in the more appropriate get together section later this evening. That way it will be more visible and apparent. Anyone interested can feel free to pm me with any ideas or questions.