Raider rebuild-She's finished, kind of!

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

isitafox
Approved Member

Raider rebuild-She's finished, kind of!

Post by isitafox »

Hey all, just signed up here as I dug my old Raider out my dad's attic the other week to have a play about with and I've decided to give it a tidy up as it's looking a bit rough. Will keep the progress of it updated in here for my benefit if nothing else though I'll be after A LOT of info and advice from people as I know nothing about RC cars! Bought this one off a friend about 18ish years ago just to mess around with as a couple of mates were into them and competed locally.

Basically it is completely standard currently, I plan on getting new wheels, maybe tyres, an esc and possibly new motor, new body, new shocks if I can find some and sorting any other bits people advise me on. Gonna follow the example Vintage AE set with his green one a few years ago but the colour depends on what wheels I can get hold of. I've already ordered my first hopups, got a full set of bearings on the way to replace the bushes so my next step is gonna hopefully be wheels as the current ones have yellowed and the fronts are chipped.
I can't wait to get it up and running. Will get a pic up shortly of how she looks at the moment and keep them coming as the build progresses!

Hcp22
Approved Member

Re: Raider rebuild

Post by Hcp22 »

Welkom to RC10Talk!
Cheers
Lars

My Feedback

isitafox
Approved Member

Post by isitafox »

Stripping down has begun! I've started by removing the MSC altogether as I plan on swapping it out for a cheap ESC and removing the receiver to relocate it. Wheels are off as I'm gonna spray the rims for the time being to tidy them up till I can source a couple of suitable replacements though I can't decide whether or not to go 2.2 or stick with the original size. Also just removed the gearbox to replace all the bushes and found a screw in the bottom which has obviously abused the diff, it's still useable and I should be able to tidy it up though I think long term I'm gonna have to swap it for new!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

You found a screw inside the gearbox?! :shock: That'll screw things up in a hurry! :lol:
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

isitafox
Approved Member

Post by isitafox »

Yup, worst thing is I can't for the life of me see where it's from and how the hell it got in there!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Is it a set screw? Optimas & Ultimas use a set screw to fix the gearbox pinion gear onto a shaft, and a time or two I've had to invent new swear words when one of those things dropped off a hex driver into the gearbox while trying to install that set screw. :x
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

isitafox
Approved Member

Post by isitafox »

Nope it's a m3 machine screw. I daren't imagine how long it's been in there, more than likely from new so it's amazing how I've got away with just the diff being a bit marked!

isitafox
Approved Member

Post by isitafox »

Small update:I've made up a couple of mounting plates for the new esc and the relocation of the receiver out of some 2mm aluminium, just need to drill the screw holes and they can be fixed in place. Also as the colour scheme has been decided by the blue shocks I'll be getting I ordered some nice blue nuts for the wheels and various other bolts and some new screws to replace a few rusty battered ones from underneath. My next task is going to be spraying the wheels black, that way they'll look relatively smart (and not yellow) till I can source some new ones and help hide the chipped bits around the edges!
Will get some pics up later when I'm home of the car as it stands.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

isitafox wrote:My next task is going to be spraying the wheels black, that way they'll look relatively smart (and not yellow) till I can source some new ones and help hide the chipped bits around the edges!
Don't spray them, dye them. Spray paint will flake & chip off; RIT dye won't, and it's a simple enough procedure. Put black dye in a disposable pot of boiling water and immerse the nylon wheels for as much time is needed to get the desired color depth. The dye impregnates the nylon and won't come off. 8)

isitafox
Approved Member

Post by isitafox »

Is that just normal clothes dye then? If it is then thats a bonus as I just so happen to have some black dye in the cupboard at home!

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Yes, it's for nylons. For MOST of us male RC guys, the only nylons we own are wheels & car parts. :P

isitafox
Approved Member

Post by isitafox »

Bugger! Just got home an checked the dye I have and it's no good for nylon so I'll have to take a trip to the local hardware store tomorrow :evil:
Anyway, here's a few pics including the diff where the screw got it.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

You might be able to find RIT dye at Walmart, too.

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

You guys have Walmart in the UK? That screw got some damage done :? . Otherwise its lookin like progress anyway.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

isitafox
Approved Member

Post by isitafox »

Yeah, it's part of a supermarket group over here.