6 Gear rebuild question and general lube question

General info, Q&A.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

stingerrray
Approved Member

6 Gear rebuild question and general lube question

Post by stingerrray »

Thanks for this great forum, I know this has been answered before. I have tried the search and came up empty. In one of the early RC10 Manuals it states to OIL the Bushings in the tranny and rear end. What is a good modern oil to use during a rebuild for this. And also the balls in the slipper. What is the best type of diff lube to use today on these? Lastly the Tranny gears themselves?? Is there a modern grease that is available and could be used for tranny gears?

Outline:
1) Bushing oil
2) Diff Balls Grease
3) 6 Gear Tranny Grease

I greatly appreciate any help I can get with this.

Thanks,
Stingerrray

RC104ever
Approved Member

Re: 6 Gear rebuild question and general lube question

Post by RC104ever »

I would suggest avidrc.com and just upgrade to bearings, they are dirt cheap there.

As for diff lube, the Stealth diff lube should still be available anywhere, check losipartshouse.com or oldrc.com
- Chris
Lots of cars...so many cars

stingerrray
Approved Member

Post by stingerrray »

Thanks Much, I ordered the full set today. form avidrc. Is there any lube required on the surfaces of the gears themselves?

Stingerrray

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

If it's a 6 gear you may want to order a set of 6614 idlers too, removing the tiny screws can be next to impossible and the driver is much smaller than a normal size.

I never run any lube on the gear face but i hear great things about Tamiya ceramic grease
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

stingerrray wrote:Thanks Much, I ordered the full set today. form avidrc. Is there any lube required on the surfaces of the gears themselves?
I've personally never used any type of lube on the gears. It can be very beneficial to go over each gear very carefully with a small file and remove any burrs or imperfections. Turn them slowly against each other while the tranny cover is off and you can actually tell where any rough spots are in the mesh. The 6 gear will spin freely for a good while if it's in proper working order. If it doesn't seem to spin freely enough for you try barely backing off the motorplate screws. If they are overtightened it can cause drag.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

stingerrray
Approved Member

Post by stingerrray »

OK I appreciate you guys help. I ordered bearings from avid. When I began rebuild everything was going smoothly. I already had the black idler gears but I was not able to get the screws out of them due to the zap glue im sure. As the manual does tell you to do that. I used an .035 allen. So that leaves me with the problem of finding more gears which seem to be nearly impossible. What would you recommend that I do that might be the easiest.

1)Keep serching for idlers #6614
2)Grind down beat up outdrives
3)Something better

Also is there an actual stickie post on a 6 gear tranny rebuild and bearing mod? If not maybe Ill take the time to do one to simplify this for others. I cant seem to find one if there is.

Thanks,
Rob

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

call r/c plus in Salem, Oregon- 503 364 9188- they have them on the shelf for the original $5 or so and I hear they will do mail order

Id sell you a set of mine but you need buy/sell/trade access first :(
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

stingerrray
Approved Member

Post by stingerrray »

Thanks gomachv, I'll work on the 25 meaningful posts. Eventually I'll get BST but I'm in no hurry. I saw another poster talk about heating with a soldering iron. Do you think this will ruin the gears? Also I'm going to order an EDS .035 wrench and see if that helps. I am goin to quit messing with them till I get the wrench.

Thanks,
Rob

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

a good wrench is great, and heat may help, but they are still old gears and new ones come with new screws and an Allen wrench and are cheap if you can get them 8) Just my .02!
You will probably never need that .035 again either, so buying a good one may be a waste- depends on how many times you will be rebuilding
Factory Works website

stingerrray
Approved Member

Post by stingerrray »

I bought 5 cars in the last month. So I will convert all of the transmissions over to ball bearing. I love tools. I'm sure most of us have tools that we only used once!!! Some love to race. I just like fixing and restoring stuff reselling it. Nearly always at a loss. It just gives me something to do.

Thanks again,
Rob

stingerrray
Approved Member

Post by stingerrray »

OK took another posters advice and heated with soldering iron for 90 seconds each one at a time. I set the weller soldering station on 4. I had to keep filing the wrench flat as it was the weakest link. They came right out. I am going to do a full rebuild on another one in the next few days. I may document it and post it for newbs like myself. Not sure if anyone would be interested. Let me know guys.

Thanks again.
Rob

oldstuffrules
Approved Member

Post by oldstuffrules »

stingerrray, I'd be interested in seeing that if you'd want to do it.

I have yet to tear mine down for a rebuild...I have the bearing set in waiting but didn't know about the special allen wrench. I'll have to see if I've got one.
Back at again because of a phone call..."Hey, how do you adjust those old Novaks?"
I have a RC channel on YouTube too...take a look at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuAS9eDBj_wSIyl4JakUIzA Thanks :)

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

stingerrray wrote:I may document it and post it for newbs like myself. Not sure if anyone would be interested. Let me know guys.
This may be the only place where things like that will meet with an interested crowd. :lol: Share everything! :mrgreen: It's just digital airspace. If people aren't interested they may just pass it over. The more technical and tutorial pieces are always well received and appreciated. Post anything you're doing. A forum is all about discussion and conversation. If people don't post regularly this would become nothing more than a database. Pictures are fun to look at too. :D I can't read so I find them especially helpful.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Just a little tidbit; when ya get the new idlers they comr with a new hex wrench...I have a bunch in the tranny box...but have a larger hex also...JohnnySr

rc10johnny
Approved Member

Post by rc10johnny »

Just a little tidbit; when ya get the new idlers they come with a new hex wrench...I have a bunch in the tranny box...but have a larger hex also...JohnnySr