Serpent 1:10 buggy - future vintage classic?

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LurkingCAT

Serpent 1:10 buggy - future vintage classic?

Post by LurkingCAT »

Still not vintage, but anyway... Even if this is no news to some of you guys, here is a little note along the line of the CAT K1 post (http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=29085). My guess then was no 4WD shaft drive and gear diff to take over the race winning tradition of Schumachers legendary vehicles. After all we are talking about Cecil, the inventor of the ball diff and the -86 ancestor SWB CAT.

On the other hand Serpent seems up and coming on 1:10 buggy http://www.serpent.com/cars/ ! I say gear diff and shaft drive on this very interesting car from a down to quality factory. After all, also the Durango had its (at least sort of) start within these walls. Gerd Strenge, the man behind the prototype Durango, was for a short while hired by Serpent, planning to release the car as the S400... but it never came.

Interesting it will be - for sure!

LurkingCAT

Re: Serpent 1:10 buggy - future vintage classic?

Post by LurkingCAT »

And did I forget to mention the 2WD... Looking forward to see the relation between the two 8)

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

2 more interesting cars of these days: X-ray 4WD buggy (not released yet I think) and Hobao 2WD : H2 pro.
I think the X-ray is the most likely candidate to become a wanted future classic

Lonestar
Approved Member

Post by Lonestar »

the xray is available for a week now and getting rave reviews. i let them fix the unavoidable first-batch bugs, and this will be my next car for 13/14

The durango was almost release by seroent as the S500, but then serpent bellied up and Gerd had to find another funding source, and now the brand belongs to GreatPlanes (tower hobbies, if you want... aint that sad... )

Serpent is now an asian brand, i doubt the new cars will ever become classics...

Paul
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

ooh, I didn't know they went out of business. I thought they were doing well with the S120. How about that other Dutch constructor: Corally? Are they still independent or also taken up by a larger group?

PS: another idea if you want to start a future vintage collection today: X-factory conversions and cars and the atomic carbon kits

CAT3K
Approved Member

Post by CAT3K »

LurkingCAT wrote:Still not vintage, but anyway... Even if this is no news to some of you guys, here is a little note along the line of the CAT K1 post (http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=29085). My guess then was no 4WD shaft drive and gear diff to take over the race winning tradition of Schumachers legendary vehicles. After all we are talking about Cecil, the inventor of the ball diff and the -86 ancestor SWB CAT.

On the other hand Serpent seems up and coming on 1:10 buggy http://www.serpent.com/cars/ ! I say gear diff and shaft drive on this very interesting car from a down to quality factory. After all, also the Durango had its (at least sort of) start within these walls. Gerd Strenge, the man behind the prototype Durango, was for a short while hired by Serpent, planning to release the car as the S400... but it never came.

Interstingly, i forgot to post on that thread.. The new CAT K1 has geared diffs listed in the option list on Schumacher website, so the rumour was kind of correct. http://www.racing-cars.com/sp/abspage/2/category/New_Cars_and_Parts/searchbox7/Speed_Secret_-_Option_Parts/subcategory/CAT_K1/templateid/12.html

Paul.

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

In the eighties I didn't think my cars would become classics as well... Even though I had a slight feel that something was coming up (I luckily kept some of my stuff I was most crazy about), I wasn't near the thought of interest these things would bring in the future (the mere existence of this group at RC10talk, re-release, collectors market, Tamiyaclub etc etc etc).

Considering Serpents history (even if Serpent isn't Serpent any more) I think the first buggy from these guys has a potential to become a classic. If cars of today ever will become classics (and from my own experience I am almost certain they will), then all in all this car has got it. The BK Racing Aero A-1 (the early Durango) to me already is becoming a classic - a friend of mine here in Norway has got one. Have a look! http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=89688&sid=22039

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

CAT3K wrote:
LurkingCAT wrote:Still not vintage, but anyway... Even if this is no news to some of you guys, here is a little note along the line of the CAT K1 post (http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=29085). My guess then was no 4WD shaft drive and gear diff to take over the race winning tradition of Schumachers legendary vehicles. After all we are talking about Cecil, the inventor of the ball diff and the -86 ancestor SWB CAT.

Interstingly, i forgot to post on that thread.. The new CAT K1 has geared diffs listed in the option list on Schumacher website, so the rumour was kind of correct. http://www.racing-cars.com/sp/abspage/2/category/New_Cars_and_Parts/searchbox7/Speed_Secret_-_Option_Parts/subcategory/CAT_K1/templateid/12.html

Paul.
I know and, good for Schumacher. Brings on some future to the K1. I think the gear diff also has been around for some time for the Cougar SVR, hasn't it?

Talking about new cars, gear diffs and Durango. The fellow I referred to above with the Aero A-1, has got Durango diffs in one of his B44's...

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

Mr. ED wrote:ooh, I didn't know they went out of business. I thought they were doing well with the S120. How about that other Dutch constructor: Corally? Are they still independent or also taken up by a larger group?

PS: another idea if you want to start a future vintage collection today: X-factory conversions and cars and the atomic carbon kits
Couldn't agree more, also here I have to refer to the fellow mentioned above - take a look at his show room at tc (follow the above link) and his X-Factory and Atomic Carbon in addition to his views on these cars potential for future.

And just want to mention the Corally. My third 1:12 was the PK Corally (first edt of the Corally with stick pack) - what a fantastic finished car out of the box! Nothing like it back in the day... Although Schumacher C-Car was my overall 1:12 favorite.

LurkingCAT

Post by LurkingCAT »

Now taking a look at the XRAY XB4 - interesting 8)

EvolutionRevolution
Approved Member

Post by EvolutionRevolution »

Mr. ED wrote:ooh, I didn't know they went out of business. I thought they were doing well with the S120.
Basically they went belly up due to financial mismanagement after Bervoets retired. Gave a minor scandal in RC world around here, because people couldn't see how they could all state they never saw anything coming :roll: (tells you a big deal about their finincial competence... :roll: )
How about that other Dutch constructor: Corally? Are they still independent or also taken up by a larger group?

Corally is still alive and kicking. They have the advantage of being associated to a large hobby store, though.