Impulse Buy - Pavidis YZ10

The place for all things Yokomo.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ralphee
Approved Member

Re: Impulse Buy - What did I get?

Post by ralphee »

Looking good! I htink the majority of us run MG servos now, i don't fork out tons, the Alturn ones seem to work nicely, have them in both Yokes and my Dyna, pretty quick too.
I would keep your eyes peeled for a TCS though, ive just got done fitting mine, and im glad i did, ihate to put major pressure on this expensive drivetrain.

lee

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Ironic that it is an expensive drivetrain, isn't it? It's just four pulleys and two belts ;)

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

stickboy007 wrote:Ironic that it is an expensive drivetrain, isn't it? It's just four pulleys and two belts ;)
Hah, i know buddy, diff pulleys alone are a fortune, i reckon to build two complete diffs from parts, in todays money, wow, well over £100 over here!
Im good on spares, just need a few rear belts, but Yokomo ones are scarce, anybody ever used the Tough Racing brand?

lee

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I am using Tough Racing rear belts on my 870c. I have only run it a few times, but it seems to work pretty well so far. However, since they ship from Korea, you can of course get them much faster if you can find a local or sort-of local supplier for 3M timing belts.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

stickboy007 wrote:What model servo is it? I would imagine any decent mid-range metal gear servo, like a Hitec 5625MG, should be just fine for something like this.

Bear in mind that locked steering racks are popular now in modern buggies, since it eliminates lag between servo movement and wheel movement. The B4.2 comes with a solid bellcrank, and so you're basically forced to run a MG servo with it.

Servo I'm trying to fit is a Hi-Tec HS-625MG. Not sure if it's good or not, only servos I've ever messed with were a Futaba S148 and some oddball "DAD Pro+" in my old cars.

Yeah, messing around with my old cars, it's driving me nuts how sloppy their steering and suspensions are. Wonder how I managed to get them around the track, way back. Actually took to shimming them to tighten them up.
Losi LXT (JRX-T Conversion)
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky
Parts-Car-to-Runner Kyosho Rocky
Yokomo YZ10 WCS '95 Pavidis
RJ Speed Spec10 "Chew Toy Mk1"
Redcat Lightning STK "Chew Toy Mk 2"
Kyosho Lazer ZX, ZX-R, ZX-RR

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

The 625MG is an analog metal gear servo. If you're just bashing around, it'll do just fine. If you want to go racing, then you'll need something faster.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Finally put power to it, tonight! Was exciting to finally run it around the room. Definitely steers differently from the 2wd cars I'm used to, and need to line up the front end.

Also went ahead and got an HS-7975HB Coreless Digital servo for it with an aluminum horn, just in case I go race it, and to give the fanciest car I've owned the proper high quality steering. Never seen a car steer that fast! Probably rushed the servo install a little bit, but I did try and get everything centered before I taped it down. But, now, I'm going to need to convert my Losi's to Deans Plugs, since what I have was likely long discontinued.

Time to start thinking about bodywork. I've seen Team Bluegroove on eBay, but I thought I saw someone on here say there was a better option. Can someone point me that way?

And still need a front bumper. Meanwhile, latest pictures. Still need to tweek the speed controller, tidy up the wiring, and secure the receiver.

Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

ralphee
Approved Member

Post by ralphee »

OK, wiring, a tip if you want to run a cable through the belt, coil the RX and servo wires around and allen key, itll coil the wire, works a treat when running wires through tricky places, ill take a snap of my 94 install if it helps ya buddy, i hate Deans plugs, always swore by Corally tubes TBH!
Body, i have a Mr Lexan on my 94, which are hard to get now, but your options are Cobra (Ken Reith) on another board, or, the TBG shells. I dont recommend TBG stuff as i feel its too tight/small for the YZ10, but i suppose opinions vary, quality of pulls are better than Kens, but Kens have a better fit by a country mile IMO.
Bumper, i can help you with that, got a few left of you need one!

bests.......lee

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Holy Sidetrack! Been a little involved in a dirt bike trip to Moab, coming up in a couple of weeks.

Lee: Sure! If you've got a bumper you can part with, I'm interested. I'll take the ugly one, as long as it's whole, because it's probably going to get used!

Where do I need to look for Ken? I guess PM me your email address, if this board doesn't permit posting links to competing boards. Any chance he does old Losi bodies, too? Wouldn't mind another for my JRX Pro SE, and maybe my LXT, too.

Been driving the YZ10 around in the driveway a little bit. The tires work pretty well on the concrete; actually flipped the car when I got too aggressive. I definitely need to come up with a slipper clutch at some point, though; if I get on the throttle moderately hard, I can hear the differentials slip. Still do so despite tightening them.
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

I run TBG bodies for all kinds of chassis and have not had any issues with them. In fairness, though, I have not tried anything from Kamtec or Mr. Lexan, so I cannot speak to relative goodness. I have a TBG body for my 870c and it fits just fine...

The YZ10 diffs are weird. All they have is this little spring washer that keeps the diff tight, and it feels like there's not much of a tuning space for it, unlike modern diffs which have an actual spring that presses the thrust bearing down. I am surprised that you're getting the diffs to slip with a 19T brushed motor, though, because that's not a whole lot of power. I run a 10.5T brushless with no slippage problems. Could be the grip coming from those tires. Maybe put some off-road tires on it and run on a track ;)

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

That's what I was thinking, too; concrete too grippy. I did get them (or one, at least) tightened enough they don't slip at WOT indoors. And, yeah, not a lot of range of adjustment.

If I can't get this other guy by the time I get back from my trip, I may just go ahead and give the blue groove stuff a whirl. I need a body for my stalled Rocky project, anyway.
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

Maybe I should get back to this project..

Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

stickboy007
Approved Member

Post by stickboy007 »

Cats and Dog(fighter)s. Mortal enemies.

HS-YZ250

Post by HS-YZ250 »

He seems so comfortable; my YZ must be one of those Dogfighters that loves everyting.

I'm thinking of using music wire for wing wire. Can anyone give me a ballpark wire diameter?

Is there a trick to tensioning the front belt without overdoing the rear? The last couple of times I drove it, I could hear the front belt skipping under brakes. I'm sure a TCS with an overruning front pulley would cure that, but I'm probably going to have better luck waiting for my buddy at work to have time to make one for me.

Also, I'm going to try and set my shocks up like Pavidis' at the worlds. Is there an Associated equivalent to the Yokomo Copper springs? ( think that's what he used; don't have the image in front of me)
Losi JRX Pro SE
Kyosho Rocky

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

stickboy007 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:31 pm Oh, this is pretty. I want to get another YZ10 as a runner, but my fear is that after I clean/fix it, I won't want to run it, and then I'll get another one, and another one, and the cycle repeats forever... ;)
That's exactly what happened you Yokomo loverboi.