my old Cougar 2 works.

The place for all things Schumacher.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

EDman

my old Cougar 2 works.

Post by EDman »

Hi guys, I went down in my parents basement today and found something i had almost forgotten!

Its a Cougar 2 works that i remember buying from a friend sometime in the early nineties, wanting an upgrade from my club-10.

It was missing some parts so they were scavenged from my Club-10 cougar.
Aluminum Driveshafts broke at some point, but most other works parts are there, I think! correct me if im wrong, it has the correct pan, shocks, gearbox, slipclutch, rear wishbones and also the rear CAT-dish style rims( where the front ones went i cannot rember) all the neat ballbearings etc.
Also in the box are the remnants of my club-10 cougar, and a beat up cougar-1 pan, lots and lots of parts and a lexan-pan my friend made(it was wobbly as hell but looked cool!)

things i can see are missing are: obviously the aluminum shafts and the front wishbones, the wingmount, front shockmount(custom carbon one is mounted since i broke the original) the rear one i think is from the club-10.
The body (I remember trying to remove the paint from the body with acetone and failing)
and also using the original box for throwing knife practice so its unfortunately also gone...(i was 11years old :P)

It has a tekin sport, wich i rememberd where totally bad ass when i bought it, the motor is something fast(back in the day), cant remember the terminology anymore. Im thingking about buying a new bodyshell for it, take it appart and clean it, and take it for a spin to really get the nostalgia going :)

Sorry for bad pics, will upload better ones later

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Re: my old Cougar 2 works.

Post by klavy69 »

Hi Edman and welcome to the board. You got a nice example of schumacher history there. There is a plentiful lot of info on these here as for the people that love them. I try to stay out of this area so I don't end up with another niche that I just gotta have :lol: . Well, anyway, if you have questions about anything missing from your original post you can check out this thread to answer them. Hope you enjoy your newfound old treasure.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

EDman

Post by EDman »

I was Talking to a friend about old RC today and it turns out he has an old club-10-2 in the basement, and lots of spares so hopefully we can switch some spares so i have a complete cougar again :) this is fun! i feel like im 12 again :lol:

I found repro cougar-2 bodyshells on ebay and i think i have to buy one!

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

yeah, this is addictive being 12 again :lol: .

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

EDman

Post by EDman »

Bought the penguin repro body and wing kit today, so now i have to figure out a nice retro paintjob for it! 8)
A couple of new 7.2v cellpacks is next on the list.
Then it is time for a teardown, i am afraid some of the threads are stripped here and there in the aluminium parts so i guess i will have to retap them and step up a dimension. Will try to wetsand the CAT-dish wheels so i get rid of most of the scratches and yellowing. Unfortunately the underside of the pan has taken quite a beating from highjumps on tarmac, but thats just patina :lol: so i will just clean the pan and be done with it.

A question i have is i cant remember how to calculate what gearing to use to what motor, and i dont really remember what motor i have, I THINK it was called a 16-5 or something like that if that makes any sense? The gears i have now is an undrivable combo, just spins out as soon as i touch the throttle.

A better pic of the car:

All the spare parts from the box, i can remember having alot more, but they must have been in another box :/:

The anodized surface is worn off:

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

I love the works buggy's. I have the matching Bosscat as well and am currently contemplating a Storm "works" as well so I have the triple threat.

What are your plans? Are you going original? I can see the front strap and gear cover are missing and as you said the front arms and shock towers are not original.

The front strap is still available from Schumacher. The shock towers and gear cover will be harder to find however. The works gear cover is VERY, VERY RARE! I have only ever seen a dozen or so for sale in the last couple of years.

If you have any questions LMK.

A 16-5 motor is pretty hot for that pinion. Try going up to a 23 or 24 tooth pinion and drop the spur down to 90 or so to clear the pinion. The tires are probably not helping the spinning out either.
"It's not broken, it's British!"

EDman

Post by EDman »

Thanks for the gearing-advice!

The first step will be to clean it and service it! But im thinking of having new original looking shocktowers lazer-cut.
Buy som new tyres and refurbish some wheels for it. I remember that almost no aftermarket wheels was to be found(never liked the schumacher wheels). Maybe ill make some adapters to run kyosho-wheels... :lol:

The front strap is in the box, i removed it cause i lost the lock-washers.

The lexan-gear cover went to hell rather quick as i can recall, must be why they are so rare :P I would really like to have roller driveshafts, i used to have one and a half in the box also. Must be a black hole in there eating parts haha.

8rad
Approved Member

Post by 8rad »

2.2 wheels are available from JC Racing Products in the UK.

Fibre Lyte have the shock towers for you too.
"It's not broken, it's British!"

EDman

Post by EDman »

As i am a 3d-modeler at work i couldnt really help myself ;)

The adapter at the far left will be made in nylon and tested before i make any changes. It will make running standard wheels alot easier for me.

The shocktowers are backward-engineered from photos and measurements ive taken from a club-10 shocktower, not 100% correct but i think they are close enough! will be water or lazer cut from 3mm carbon sheets at a lokal guy i know.

I have also ordered spanking new wingmounts, new spur gear and pinion.

PerKr
Approved Member

Post by PerKr »

I'm a CAD jockey myself and have been thinking of making an adapter but have no idea how to get from a 3D printed model to an actual usable adapter... are you going to mold it yourself or have someone machine it from a solid block of nylon?

stulec52
Approved Member

Post by stulec52 »

Hey EDman,
Did you ever get those shock towers made?
Might be interested in a pair myself if possible.

yorak

Post by yorak »

EDman wrote: The adapter at the far left will be made in nylon and tested before i make any changes. It will make running standard wheels alot easier for me.
I've been using Traxxas wheel axles with hex mounts in my C2, but now the problem has shifted to find wheels with correct offset. The standard C2 wheels are fitted really close to the outer rim (dish) of the wheel and most 1:10 wheels I've seen come with a larger (or smaller?) offset. Thus, wider stance to rear end. No problem for the backyard, but it is not race legal anymore. :-)

Any thoughts/tips/knowledge to remedy this?

So, EDman, a word of warning, the hex adapters are only a half win...