Houge Trailing Arm Help [PICTURE]

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

InetRC
Approved Member

Houge Trailing Arm Help [PICTURE]

Post by InetRC »

I started fabricating a carbon fiber chassis for use with a pair of Houge trailing arms. I found that the placement of the trailing arms on the chassis vary depending on the length of the rear shocks. Otherwise, there are length issues with the dogbones. So, I was curious what the typical mounting setup was.

Anyone have a template or dimensions for the chassis mounting holes for Houge trailing arms? I basically need to know the hole placement (maybe using on of the rear bulhead holes as a point of reference).

This has turned out to be more work than I bargained for already! :)

-Alex

Eau Rouge
Approved Member

Re: Houge Trailing Arm Help

Post by Eau Rouge »

InetRC wrote:I started fabricating a carbon fiber chassis for use with a pair of Houge trailing arms. I found that the placement of the trailing arms on the chassis vary depending on the length of the rear shocks. Otherwise, there are length issues with the dogbones. So, I was curious what the typical mounting setup was.

Anyone have a template or dimensions for the chassis mounting holes for Houge trailing arms? I basically need to know the hole placement (maybe using on of the rear bulhead holes as a point of reference).

This has turned out to be more work than I bargained for already! :)

-Alex

Yeah, Alex, I have a few sets of arms, mounts and a Houge chassis I can scan or template for you. They inset further in the chassis than you'd think. Give me a day or two and if I don't get you something usable by Saturday (I'm ADHD), remind me again here.

Also, the shocks mount in front of the shock tower, aiming back towards the mounting points on the arms. I have pictures somewhere, too.

doug

InetRC
Approved Member

Post by InetRC »

Thanks Doug. Whatever is most convenient (a 1:1 scan or just the dimensions of where the trailing arm holes should be). And yes, I did notice the arms go pretty far in when I spit out a test template. Also, I decided to mount the shocks at the rear of the shock tower instead of the front. If I mounted the shock in the front, the shock doesn't align well at the top since there is quite an angle on the shock going from front to back. I found that the rear shocks mount nicely on the back side of the shock tower and aligns quite well with the lower shock mount on the trailing arm this way. The angle of motion on the shock is also quite good. I should note that I am using small shocks in the rear. I'll take pictures tomorrow when I get a chance.

-Alex

InetRC
Approved Member

Post by InetRC »

Doug - never mind about the chassis... I eneded up fabbing my own:

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=317

This is what I meant to show you with respect to the rear shock placement. As you can see, dues to where I mounted the shock on the trailing arm, I mounted the shocks on the rear of the shock tower because if you look at it from the side, you will see the shock has nicer movement this way. Since the top of the shock is rigid, I don't like to see it being angled back.

CLICK TO ENLARGE