Tamiya Farm King - Now that's different

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Tamiya Farm King - Now that's different

Post by Coelacanth »

I received a Tower Hobbies catalog and I'm surprised to say there was hardly a single item in there that I would consider buying, but the Tamiya Farm King certainly was one of the more unique items. I'm not sure how many farm tractors were capable of doing wheelies out in Farmer Brown's back 40, but I think this might be fun to bash around. Anyone see one in action? Maybe it's still too new...

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/58556-TAMIYA-1-10-R-C-WR-02G-Farm-King-Wheelie-w-ESC-BONUS-ITEM-/200900096062?pt=US_Radio_Control_Control_Line&hash=item2ec694303e
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

kink
Approved Member

Re: Tamiya Farm King - Now that's different

Post by kink »

That is soooooo odd. I bet they hardly sell any then drop it. Cute 'face' on it though :)
GARBO 1/8

kaiser
Approved Member

Post by kaiser »

That's one of those funny kits that I'd like to build but I'd never run it.
Tamiya has a bunch of stuff that I'd have fun building but would have a hard
Time finding the time to use.
They are such a strange company.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

kink wrote:That is soooooo odd. I bet they hardly sell any then drop it. Cute 'face' on it though :)
If that's the case, this would be the kind of kit you buy a few of and hang onto it for 25 years. ;)
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

skunk.werkz
Approved Member

Post by skunk.werkz »

Its so ridiculous but it makes you kinda-sort want one. Being a m38 Wild willy and Lunchbox owner, you can never get enough wheelies :mrgreen:

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

They also have a Unimog that does wheelies. I knew they did a Unimog RC, but I didn't know it did wheelies. Since when do Unimogs do wheelies? Maybe they'll make the Wheelie Rig and Wheelie Tank models next? :roll:

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

I seen the catalog as well, came in the mail today, not a fan of the tractor, but did fall in love with the pro line rat rod body, with the painted white wall tire's. Very cool.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

Oh the Farm King has been made fun of on here before. Tamiya has shown for a long time now that they no longer posses the creativity they once did. It feels as if all they know how to do these days is re-body the same model countless times. For example they took the Wild Willy 2 and threw several different bodies on it such as the Farm King here, and released it as individual kits each time. Yes they've always done this to some degree but now it's gotten completely out of hand.

kink
Approved Member

Post by kink »

Coelacanth wrote:
kink wrote:That is soooooo odd. I bet they hardly sell any then drop it. Cute 'face' on it though :)
If that's the case, this would be the kind of kit you buy a few of and hang onto it for 25 years. ;)

That is what I was thinking. But do you really want to store a large box/s for 25 years? Also bear in mind if no one buys them, there won't be a long queue of people with nostalgia in 25 years time. The only buyers will be other rc die hard fans / freaks :mrgreen: who want to own something super rare for the sake of it. In other words a niche. So the value may not be that high - supply and demand etc. But who knows.

The Unimog sounds better. Lots of car people respect the moggie for what it is.
GARBO 1/8

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

I guess we´re not the target here. Preteens is the word these days, if You want to make money :-)
For them it´s Tractor Tom or whatever.
Gone fishing

markbt73
Approved Member

Post by markbt73 »

This is actually the only new Tamiya kit I'd consider buying right now (until and unless they re-release the Fox or the Porsche 959). Yeah, it's a bit of a parts-bin special, but in a sea of everyone else trying to copy Traxxas, you can't deny it's unique. Lots of painting and detailing possibilities that haven't been explored before. And the chassis it's built on is just about nuclear-bomb-proof.

And from what I've read, the reason for the proliferation of "wheelie" models is the popularity of a special racing class for them in Japan. Which actually sounds like a lot of fun; these things are really hard to drive with any degree of accuracy while carrying any speed.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

What you need is a servo to control a sliding weight so that you can activate/deactivate wheelie mode. This old RC trike I got back in the 80's had a battery pack that you could slide either vertically up into the seat or down in a more horizontal position to enable wheelie mode or speed mode. It's just not as fun or controllable when you're always in wheelie mode or you have to reverse/forward to get a wheelie happening.

http://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=29026

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

markbt73 wrote:This is actually the only new Tamiya kit I'd consider buying right now (until and unless they re-release the Fox or the Porsche 959). Yeah, it's a bit of a parts-bin special, but in a sea of everyone else trying to copy Traxxas, you can't deny it's unique. Lots of painting and detailing possibilities that haven't been explored before. And the chassis it's built on is just about nuclear-bomb-proof.

And from what I've read, the reason for the proliferation of "wheelie" models is the popularity of a special racing class for them in Japan. Which actually sounds like a lot of fun; these things are really hard to drive with any degree of accuracy while carrying any speed.
Well If anything, I'd buy the Jimny version. That one looks the best to me.

slotcarrod
Approved Member

Post by slotcarrod »

Farm King looks like crap to me! The creators must have been drunk at the time! :lol: :lol:

If they had just done the Re Re Ford Ranger, since they have all the parts, they would have had more time to drink saki! :lol:

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I like it for no other reason than it looks kinda cool.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !