Comfortably numb.... after uncomfortably dumb :(

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

MelvinsArmy
Approved Member

Comfortably numb.... after uncomfortably dumb :(

Post by MelvinsArmy »

Well, I'm not comfortable and slightly numb. Kinda. Tonight I went for a bike ride on my favorite bike. It's a Welham Bikes 24" BMX cruiser. I was just out enjoying the nice weather and riding like I do about every other night or so. I was going up the street and was bored, I decided just to skid the front tire left to right to left again, like if I was trying to avoid some dog poop, but there was no poop in sight. I don't know what happened next, but things got slippery and painful. For some reason my front end totally broke loose and I totally lost control of my bike. Next thing you know I hit the ground.

I hit the ground HARD.

It was a dump off the right side in the street. Luckily a no traffic having street. My arm hit and left some road rash on my elbow, my thigh hit (weird huh?) and my keys were between my thigh and the pavement, so that cut my thigh open pretty good. Luckily my arm was outstretched, because my head hit like a ton of bricks down on my upper arm, I felt and HEARD every joint in my neck crack as my head slammed onto my upper arm. I'm very lucky my arm was there, or my face would be f-ed up bad right now, probably bloody and with a few less teeth for sure. Somehow I managed to smash my left pinky and hit my thumb pretty good. I don't know how, they were on the other side of the fall. My pinky is still a bit numb. Luckily my best bike only got a little scuff on the left front of the bars and on the brake lever.

So, I'm two beers into recovery and feeling better already. Still feeling beat, but very lucky at the same time. Lucky that there was no traffic in the street, and even luckier that my face is still intact thanks to my arm that took the major blow. I know tomorrow's gonna suck, cause that's when I'll start to feel the result of what I heard happen to my neck.

Anyway, just wanted to share with someone. I know beer probably thins the blood and is not so good for clotting, but I haven't lost much blood and the beer helps numb the rest.

This kind of thing seems to happen to me about once a year. Last year it was a trip over the handle bars, resulting in some shaved down palms. Ouch.

Ride to live, live to ride. :twisted:

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

damn, i'll bet that hurt a little. the last time i bailed off a bike, i was on my haro group 1a, and missed a triple on a bmx track my friend and i built in a field behind his house. i buried the front tire into the third jump, and it was ALL OVER from there. thank god for full face helmets, that's all i can say.

Asso_man!
Approved Member

Post by Asso_man! »

maybe you felt because there was no dog poop, next time try the same with a pooper scooper, it's safer :wink:

Halgar
Approved Member

Re: Comfortably numb.... after uncomfortably dumb :(

Post by Halgar »

MelvinsArmy wrote:So, I'm two beers into recovery and feeling better already.
Use stout works best for bumps and bruises, Pilsners for light pain relief, and Mai Bock for mental anguish... :lol: :lol: :lol:

knucklebuster
Approved Member

Post by knucklebuster »

I too enjoy taking out the old school bikes now and again. The most recent crash and burn was when I took the Mongoose out to a local grand prix race. The planned on having to park a great distance away and then tool around the race course in search of the best free vantage point.

Because I wasn't planning on really riding I only wore flip flops. Mistake number one. I have severely worn Ame grips that are not easy to hold on to. I cleared a curb, lost grip while out of the saddle, lost footing on the trusty KKTs and grinded the top of several toes on the sidewalk. Nice.

I know what you mean MelvinsArmy. Recovery times seem to be ever increasing these days. I can pull a tendon turning a wrench. Add a bike to the picture and I may need to consider better health insurance coverage. This is exactly why I have yet to rebuild the Hutch Trick Star. I might try and pull a lawn mower, maybe even a cherry picker on that ride. The temptation is not so great on the brakeless Mongoose.