1993 RC10GT Black Tub revival

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

LoboNYC
Approved Member

1993 RC10GT Black Tub revival

Post by LoboNYC »

Well here is a restore project. A 20 year old RC10GT

I got this in auction. a 1993 white parts, black tub RC10GT. At first glance is was grimy...when i got it in the mail...IT WAS GRIMY but there was something cool about it...there where no scratches...all it needed was some TLC and a front nose plate. THANKS ROMULUS22 for the original black noseplate; he saved the project from an unwanted blue chassis upgrade.

I wanted to keep as many original parts as possible. The fuel tank, however was upgraded to the newer design as my personal preference. Rear tires in photo are original but will be replaced by fresh rubber. The engine is a restore project as well. It is a .12 OS engine. its GRIMY. Not sure if it runs but will clean up and find out. Traxxas 2075 servos have been installed. Transmission has been upgraded to ball bearings as well as the rest of the truck. The yellow body is temporary...I have an an old school painted body that i might want to use....just to keep it original and old school. Hey its a 93 early model.

Some Grime

A Little Elbow grease and de-greaser and we start bringing this one back to life...

Turns out the original nose plate was tweaked badly. Guess the GT took a mean hit as a new kit and was laid to rest somewhere for a long time. The parts cleaned up very nicely and have no scratches. Anyway here are some photos as it was getting mounted to an upgraded chassis...My goal was to keep things original but i didnt have a nose plate.

Thanks to Romuluse22' noseplate the project got back on track with original black tub chassis. "thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup"

On the restore list is the .12 os engine that will be dropped into this GT...that is if it runs...

Oh joy...when to start cleaning?:oops:

marlo
Approved Member

Re: 93 RC10GT black tub revival

Post by marlo »

That came really nice, the before shot's almost looked like moss was growing on it, now, it look's right out of the box!

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Looks minty fresh Alex. I had no idea it was that dirty when you got it. For some reason I thought it was an unassembled kit. Looks fantastic all cleaned up. Very well done.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

marlo wrote:That came really nice, the before shot's almost looked like moss was growing on it, now, it look's right out of the box!
LOL, Thanks! Whatever was it was...i made sure it was sealed and contained within two bags till it was time for cleanup. Since it had bushings it was easy to throw in the tub and get first layers of dirt off. Then i took it apart and cleaned again with toothbrush, WD40 and de-greaser afterwards. I was going to try the hydrogen peroxide method of whitening but it cleaned up well.
romulus22 wrote:Looks minty fresh Alex. I had no idea it was that dirty when you got it. For some reason I thought it was an unassembled kit. Looks fantastic all cleaned up. Very well done.
Minty fresh like a york peppermint patti, lol. I think you are confused with the Factory Team truck that was partially assembled (the 57 chevy panel wagon) or the NIB 7072 blacktub GT.

I saw this on auction and figured i would get it for the white parts....but after looking past the grime i realized this kit was in superb condition and was worthy of bringing back to life. Looks like it took a big hit (enough to tweak the noseplate) early in its life and was abandoned soon after.

These were the pics from the auction (not my pics)

This is the Factory team panel wagon....a slow moving project.

The .18 OS motor for the panel wagon

This is the New in Box GT with included .12 OS engine.

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Re: 1993 RC10GT Black Tub revival

Post by justinspeed79 »

Cool trucks, and great job on the resto! 8)

Fyi, that os cv motor is a .12.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

justinspeed79 wrote:Cool trucks, and great job on the resto! 8)

Fyi, that os cv motor is a .12.
Thanks Justinspeed79. That truck cleaned up extremely well. And to think i was got it as a "car for parts". Hope the intended motor cleans up good as well, lol.

Thanks for the correction on the motor; Thread has been corrected. :mrgreen:

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Man I love these trucks, I want to do another one but need to finish a few other projects first.

They look great !
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

RC10th wrote:Man I love these trucks, I want to do another one but need to finish a few other projects first.

They look great !
Thanks! The white parts truck will be getting the black nose tubes soon so it wont look odd anymore. im still up in the air with regards to an exhaust pipe. MIP 360 stinger is out of the question; i want to keep original show tower. Maybe a Paris turbo ring pipe or a stock blue Associated pipe. We will see soon.

Hope to see your finished projects soon!!!

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

I've got I think 2 tub trucks that are pretty much finished, maybe 3? One FT blue pan thats never been run and another blue pan that I'm trying to convert to a black tub, but I'm having difficulty finding a good chassis for it.

I really want a white GT as I've wanted one for the last 10 years but have never "stumbled" across one. I'm itching to buy one now if I could find a decent one outside of ebay.

Personally I'd stick to the stock pipe or FT pipe. The only other one I'd consider is the Paris pipe like on the box art.
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

RC10th wrote:I've got I think 2 tub trucks that are pretty much finished, maybe 3? One FT blue pan thats never been run and another blue pan that I'm trying to convert to a black tub, but I'm having difficulty finding a good chassis for it.

I really want a white GT as I've wanted one for the last 10 years but have never "stumbled" across one. I'm itching to buy one now if I could find a decent one outside of ebay.

Personally I'd stick to the stock pipe or FT pipe. The only other one I'd consider is the Paris pipe like on the box art.
Nice collection GT's you have going...I love the Factory Team GT's just for the blue chassis and lack of nose plate. It also has a little more room within the chassis than the tub edition.

My first GT purchased as soon as they were in stock at my LHS 20 years ago. The box contained all white parts with the exception of the front and rear arms which were black.

it was then redone and upgraded about 5 to 6 years later. The only white part left from the original kit was the front body mount brace.

Here is the FT GT (my 2nd GT) that i have on its first run. The engine is short one tank of being broken-in (I was asked to leave by the Park Rangers when i was almost done).

Both these are runners. I have a blacktub version n the box and another FT GT still getting built, not to mention the white parts GT. Its cool to have both the white and black part version to compare. As far as pipes...I guess it will be the stock blue FT pipe. I have a Paris Stilletto(chambered pipe) which looks a bit like the box art but i'm saving that for a Factory Team NTC3 (unbuilt as well).

I need a full week to look like this...Sat, Sun, Sat, Sun, Sat, Sun, Sat, so i can finish my projects.

Good luck with the search of "the white whale" GT, lol

MrBreeze

Post by MrBreeze »

Nice GT's. I miss mine and regret trading it off, had lots of fun racing
it till the track closed.
"They call me the Breeze,.....I keep rollin' down the road."
Early six gear CE, black & white Stealth CE, RC10 classic, SC10 kit version.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

MrBreeze wrote:Nice GT's. I miss mine and regret trading it off, had lots of fun racing
it till the track closed.

Thanks MrBreeze :mrgreen:.

I hope eventually you are able to pick one up, get it running and start enjoying that fun again.

Feel free to post a pic of your GT here if you have one.