Anyone with electric motor experience??

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Seabass
Business Member

Anyone with electric motor experience??

Post by Seabass »

Hey guys I am interested in building my own foam tire truing machine. I am not impressed with the current tire truing machines on the market. After looking at videos of many of the current truing machines, they look severely underpowered. Many of the motors seem to bog down while taking light cuts.

I am certain I can build a machine that would be much more rigid and with all the electric motors on the market, I am certain I can find a motor for the project that could easily have all the power needed to chomp through foam donuts.

I have no clue about electric motors, so I figured I would ask throughout our small community on some input regarding electric motors. Any advice would be appreciated.

Jake

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Re: Anyone with electric motor experience??

Post by Charlie don't surf »

So with very little argument, the gold standard tire truer was made by MaxMod mini-sports. They made a large version with a 1/2 HP (10,000ish RPM) A/C counter rotation motor, and carbide truing bit that's the size and weight of a car battery. They also made a smaller trackside truer, same RPM range but with a much smaller A/C motor. The large one will run through a Purple compound 1/8 scale donut from 3.95" to 2.50" in one pass, with lots of burnout smoke and dust, the trackside will do it in 4 passes.

The issue with building you own is going to stem from the reverse rotation AC motor with that kind of power and RPM. Granger carries replacements...but only with 1 to 2 of the needs, ie- yes 1/2 HP 10,000 RPM standard rotation or 1/8 HP 10,000 RPM counter rotation or my favorite....1/2 HP, counter rotation.....2k RPM. If you build it with a normal rotation, then the dust covers your face, or the shield and you can't see what your doing...

I can post pics of both MaxMods for reference if you'd like-

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Not too helpful, but when I was about 14 I tried to build my own tire truer. I wish I had a picture of it. It was the stupidest looking POS you've ever seen! It looked like a kindergartener built it! :oops: :lol: Seriously, you'd laugh your ass off. Too bad digital photography wasn't around for me back then. I have a feeling yours will turn out killer. Can't wait to see what you come up with.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

The shop I raced at had a truer that worked great. Homemade by someone other than myself... :lol: It was simply a large motor about the size of a coffee can. I'd say in the 8K RPM range, but very powerful. It was mounted to a heavy piece of plywood and had a hub attached to the shaft that was fairly universal. I can't remember exactly what they used for the adapter. Then it had a paddle with sandpaper that was on a hinge and you simply pressed it into the tire. I got a similar motor to replace the aerator on our septic tank. I can't remember what I paid, but it wasn't much. I got it at Rural King.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

Ok that gives some great insight to the motors.

Reg I would be interested in the pics if you have the time to post them.

Thumbs - thanks for the info. To be honest, a tire truing machine is a pretty basic tool that should not be too difficult to build. For the money one of these baby tire truers cost, I can probably build a foam eating machine.

Jake

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Here is the big one-
IMAG2928.jpg

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

That looks like a pretty beefy machine. What I have in mind is a bit different, I am looking of a more traditional lathe style with the motor on the left.

On a side note, I found this motor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAYTON-2M145-Universal-AC-DC-Motor-1-2hp-10-000rpm-115V-/330943347931?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d0dc2bcdb

It has a CCW shaft direction which would be good for what I am looking to build. Regardless, if the rotation was incorrect, I could always use a pulley to change up the direction I am looking for.

I want to build a monster of a tire truer since there isn't much out there.

Jake

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Jake,

I think you might want to look into a DC treadmill motor. probably CW rotation, but rated at over 2HP usually with a nice flywheel built into the pulley. the controllers are cheap and adjustable rpm. Rated at something like 4500RPM, if you really need 10K rpm or close to it, you can step up 1:2 ratio and still have 1hp at the tire spindle.

pretty cheap to find used on ebay.