whent to the local indoor track last night

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

integra22t
Approved Member

whent to the local indoor track last night

Post by integra22t »

so i whent down for a drivers meeting and pratice to see if they are going to run the mini class over the winter ..there is little intrest in it but im hopeing that if i run some others will run too

this is the thing .. they where talking about changing the club rules for ther main class so other people from track around us to come .. the biggest arument so that it was too fast of a motor for the track and they would have to buy a new motor, 17.5 brushless ( last motor change for the club was 3 years ago )

it was just strange to see .. when i raced it was always roar rules .. i had 10 battery packs and 8 diffrent stock motors to pick from .. the class im going to be in will run nimh and the tamiya silver can, can't do anything to it motor :roll: i rember i couldnt give one away back in the day

this is going to be diffrent

REMJ666
Approved Member

Re: whent to the local indoor track last night

Post by REMJ666 »

Sounds like the 80's to 90's when I raced...6 cell NIMH and 24 degree motor...But back then the track kept and handed out the motors...That is why my local indoor onroad/oval track closed...To much BS with the rules and other things changing all the time...
Late Edinger Gold Pan # 6010 .....Vintage Blackfoot....Electrix Circuit Stadium Truck ....Kyosho Ultima Pro XL

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

I'm presuming this is an on-road club?

Your experience sounds familiar... my regular Friday night club run Touring cars indoors on a tight & twisty carpet track.. we used to run 27t stock motors back in the brushed days, but when people started to make the switch to brushless, it was considered that a 13.5bl was about the equivilent & it proved that there was a slight advantage with the brushless motors providing a bit more punch but about the same top-end, everyone eventually converted to brushless (& LiPo) technology, swayed mostly by the promise of almost maintenance free running (the stock motors needed almost weekly re-builds & skims to keep them at peak performance).

Since then our rules have not changed - its still 27t brushed or 13.5 brushless but it must be said that with the advent of timing advance & 'turbo' speedos our cars can now travel much faster than the 27turns ever could, to the extent that you can 'dial-in' more speed/power than is really possible to use fully on our little track. Other clubs in our area with similar sized tracks keep trying to slow the 'stock' class down (which is normally the only class ran for touring cars) firstly by restricting the motors to 17.5 timed or 13.5 non-timed (blinky)..... & now 17.5 blinky... its now slowed the class down so much that its now slower than the old brushed class & its put me off travelling to those clubs... simply because its boring going so slowly!

People at our club have realised that whipping up their esc's to max timing/boost doesn't make them faster around the lap... just crash sooner/cause more damage so people have been de-tuning their cars to suit their own abilities & driving style... but what you don't get are those rumours of using illegal motors or re-tweeked 'blinky' modes or the requirement to keep buying the best spec batteries to get that little advantage.... like I hear happens at the 'other' club!

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Integra22t -

We used to dip the silvercan´s in water when breaking them in.
That should give You the best contact between the brushes and the comm.
Gone fishing

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

Clubs can't still run 27t stock class, where do you get new race spec motors for it these days. You can still do some work on a silver can, water dip it to bed in the brushes and polish the bushings to get the most out of it. BTW due to the brush spring design as the brushes wear they advance the timing slightly as the brush springs pivot. It means that if you keep the motor clean and don't let it overheat it can get faster as it wears.

You've got to love the zero maintenance on them though, no more regular rebuilds and plenty of people are giving them away so cheap to replace.

integra22t
Approved Member

Post by integra22t »

thanks for the tips .. i sware you guys where at the track the other night lol

DerbyDan
Approved Member

Post by DerbyDan »

terry.sc wrote:Clubs can't still run 27t stock class, where do you get new race spec motors for it these days.
Yes, 27t is a bit academic.... basically it covers for those occasions when someone turns up with some old equipment (perhaps an old racer making a return)... in reality we never turn anyone away no matter what they are running, T.C, Mini, GT12, Buggy or even a monster truck... so long as its electric powered!

fredswain
Approved Member

Post by fredswain »

We've got a new indoor carpet track here and it is exclusively 17.5T blinky mode. It is very popular and definitely not too slow for the track. If it were a large outdoor track it would feel slow.
Raborn Racing Originals Shapeways store