Brown paper + unpadded vintage box = recipe for disaster.

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Lonestar
Approved Member

Brown paper + unpadded vintage box = recipe for disaster.

Post by Lonestar »

[stepping on my soapbox]

Guys - please please please.

Please don't ship vintage cars in bits, in their own vintage boxes, with zero padding and just brown paper around that said box. Most of the times it works, but sometimes the box is crushed, which means the inside gets crushed too. The likelyhood a 20yr-old cardboard box can withstand the abuse of shipping, domestic, let alone around the world, is low...

I recently purchased an (almost) new built ProSE. As soon as I picked it up from the PO, I knew that there was only little padding inside as I could hear and feel stuff rattling inside. It turned out there was none... top shock mounts and wheels had been taken off, and everything, wing including was just loose in the box, which itself was wrapped in brown paper. The whole car was just sitting there in (big) bits, in air, basically.

Don't do this. At least pad the inside, with whatever, toilet paper, underwear (clean, please!), plastic wrappings from whatever you want, but not NOTHING.

Don't do this and don't let your friends do this.

[stepping off my soapbox]
AE RC10 - Made In The Eighties, Loved By The Ladies.
Blue Was Better - now, Blue Is Bankrupt.
Facebook affiliate program manager: "They go out and find the morons for me".
Life is short. Waste it wisely.

myfordcnc
Approved Member

Re: Brown paper + unpadded vintage box = recipe for disaster

Post by myfordcnc »

When I ship things my frame of mind is that the people actually handling the package, hate me, their jobs, and my package. I pack accordingly. I will never put a fragile indication or this side up sticker. As this only taunts them. Basically I package things as if they are going to be tossed off a roof repeatedly. Perhaps even beat or sometimes even raped by a sorting machine.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

Been there, sorry to hear about yours :( people know this stuff is old and charge accordingly, you'd think they would pack it accordingly too. Had a mint unbuilt 12L show up in its original box with a shipping label stuck right on the original box once. Had a radio nib show up the same way.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

bxlt
Approved Member

Post by bxlt »

Couldn't agree more. I just over paid a BIN price to get a box for one of my cars when it showed up it was wrapped in brown paper. Thankfully it survived but I would have been furious if it had been damaged. I also received a car shipped in the box with the label on the box. Lucky for me I was buying just the car and not car and box (box was for a different car anyway) but still I was shocked to see it treated that way.

slapshot1979
Approved Member

Post by slapshot1979 »

I have been using ziploc bags filled with air, cheap and adds no weight.
Sleeps with a night light on, not because he's scared of the dark but because the dark is scared of him...........stay thirsty my friends

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

I collect those zip lock bags too, very useful. it's a win-win
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I've sent packages wrapped in the brown shipping paper before. It wasn't R/C stuff and was only like three times. The last time I did it I was told by the postal worker that they no longer accepted packages wrapped in paper as it has too high of a probability of being torn off. I had to bring it back home and repackage it. This was maybe 3 or 4 years ago.

I hate when things are sent to me in their original boxes with just a label applied. Talk about no privacy whatsoever. Also they might as well just add another label that says steal me to it too.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

I just placed an order at a hobby shop and before I paid I asked if it would be shipped inside on another box. IDE rather make sure its shipped properly and spend an extra couple bucks for another box then to hope the seller figured it out on their own.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

I've sent packages wrapped in the brown shipping paper before. It wasn't R/C stuff and was only like three times. The last time I did it I was told by the postal worker that they no longer accepted packages wrapped in paper as it has too high of a probability of being torn off. I had to bring it back home and repackage it.
Must just be your PO; I ship things in brown paper all the time. I do this when I feel that the box is sufficiently sturdy, and when the box has no value, so crushed corners/gouges matter not. I sell quite a bit on eBay, and one of the box types I use very frequently are brake pad boxes, since they're tough, free and sized just right for small items. But I would feel pretty cheesy just slapping a label on the product box.

If the box actually matters, though, no, one should not brown paper wrap it for shipment.

Package things the way you would want to receive them, and account for any increased size/bulk when you bill for shipping. I have no problem paying a few pennies more to ensure that the item will survive an apathetic handler, and thus far, neither have any of my buyers. One thing you can also always do on eBay or similar sites is bump the shipping just a bit to help offset shipping supplies on cheaper items; I will always list my dirt cheap stuff with a ship weight that is slightly higher than actual, as it really sucks to have an item sell at $0.99 and then spend $0.75 on a box/envelope and bubble wrap, plus the 10% Paypal fee. OTOH, I don't mind spending $3 or $4 of my own money to ensure that a $150 item arrives to the buyer in the same condition it left here.

Remember, even though technically damage in transit is the carrier's fault, if you did not package sufficiently, it can come back to bite you, especially in the feedback. I have not maintained a 100% positive seller rating by packaging things inappropriately or haphazardly.

Also, it will serve you well to communicate with your buyers. If the package will not ship within one or two business days, send them a quick note telling them when it will go out. I list a 48 hour handling time, but usually ship in less than 24 (discounting Sundays/holidays).
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

It seems this problem has been getting worse lately. I have had to give a few sellers a piece of my mind lately when I received poorly packaged items. I have also started leaving neutral feedback for poorly packed items. A proper packing job is part of the deal, of you don't package things properly you are not fulfilling your end of the deal.

badhoopty
Approved Member

Post by badhoopty »

also, make damn sure that no cats pee in the box.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Sixtysixdeuce wrote: I have no problem paying a few pennies more to ensure that the item will survive an apathetic handler, and thus far, neither have any of my buyers.
If it's only a few pennies, then I agree... but I've had some real horror stories recently with international postage. Like selling decal sheets.... I always back them with cardboard, and usually can send one sheet properly packed for $2.60 (competitive enough that I can generate sales). However, once that combined weight (item plus packaging and protection) goes over 50g, postage goes up to $6.45! I'll admit, that's still pennies, relatively.... especially compared to the Kyosho kit I sent to Norway a few months ago, that cost $80 to post..... or the old 1:8 all metal Kyosho Datsun 240z that I recently posted to the US, which cost $110!!!!!!

Unfortunately, OS is where the sales are...... damned if you do, damned if you don't.

That's my rant done for a few minutes.......

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

Jay Dub
Approved Member

Post by Jay Dub »

I think the last shipping issue I had was an original new never used RCPS Turbo Mirrage body I paid $75 USD shipped from Australia Bastard shipped it in a plastic bag. No box, no packaging, just a label!

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

This was the nib kit that sent me over the top with the seller
I was so pissed I actually built it :shock:

Factory Works website

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

here's another.... do not turn a kit box inside out to ship.

now granted, i didn't necessarily care about the box, but it would've been nice to have. but now the lid is cut in 2 pieces.