I had a bad day!

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

slotcarrod
Approved Member

I had a bad day!

Post by slotcarrod »

Lost 1/2 my collection to a basement fire! The bad thing is it's all my good ones! :cry: My entire mancave is gone. The only good car I have left is the Worlds car that I took to work to put on display to help sales of the rere!

The fire was confined to the basement but the whole house has smoke damage, no water or electricity as all the wires and pipes are melted! I have insurance but will never replace some of my items! They say could be months to repair! :cry:

Cause? E-flight charger! My old one died this morning (my day off) so I had a bag of them from all the RTF's I purchased over the years. Pulled one out, charged a lipo that I have charged many times with no issues!

Went up stairs to load new maps on my GPS, after 10 min there was a soft bang, never thought much about it, dogs must have pushed something over! After 10 or so min Garmin says I need a 4g card for all the maps. So I go down stairs to go get one, smell smoke, nothing in or on the stove, so I open the basement door and bang plumes of thick black smoke and flames shooting out of the kitchen vents! In that split second of me opening the door the room was filled with so much smoke I could not see, but rushed to open the back door for air. I tried to go down the basement to try to out the fire but it was so bad I could not see or breath! Called 911 (this all in seconds) got out name, fire and address to 911 and the land line went dead, cell phone was not possible to find!

Wet a towel with the garden hose and went back in to get the dogs 2 times and could not get them to come to me (all the time blind and can't breath). Finally the third time went feeling to the front door got out side and yelled COME and Ricky and Bubba came running out of the smoke! I was so happy but when the Fire engine came Bubba was scared and ran off. After a few hours we found Bubba. 6 fire engines, 2 ems and one chief!

I'm ok and the dogs are ok, wife was at work, son at school at the time. They rushed home though! :oops: Sucks that my hobby has destroyed their house! :oops: Staying with daughter and son in law! Will be cramped for a few months!

Yes the Edinger,Cadillac, CE, Graphite, TQ's,Team, B2, B3,B4, 10T,2,3,GTs, about 12 NIB Tamiya and Yokomo kits all gone! :cry: You guys would cry if you could see all the damage! I do have some pictures but they are poor because it is dark and all blackened! Life just keeps dealing me bad hands, not sure how to play them? :cry:

Seabass
Business Member

Re: I had a bad day!

Post by Seabass »

HOLY COW!!! Dude I am so sorry to hear about this and I don't know what to say other than, at least no one was injured in the deal. Rod you have always been a great friend and I am saddened by this news. If there is something I could do for you, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jake

Typicray@rainmans
Approved Member

I had a bad day!

Post by Typicray@rainmans »

I am so sorry for you man. I would not wish that on my worst enemy.
Almost all my posts will be edited because I know what I want to write, but my fingers always hit the wrong keys.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

My God, so sorry to hear that, Rod...I saw your man-cave, you had so many neat gems stashed there. I hope you had insurance, at least? And please tell me the RPK survived??
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

terrible news rod, so sorry to hear this....

THUNDERSTRIKE1
Approved Member

Post by THUNDERSTRIKE1 »

Im sorry for your hobby loss but damn glad all of you are ok and doing well.Don

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

A house fire two years ago is what got me back into this hobby. I know that smoke you speak of- and if you are like me you will be coughing it up for days. Our fire was similar in that it was mostly one side of the house but the smoke damage was everywhere. No matter what they try to tell you, the smoke won't come out of plastics or woods. It also is very acidic on electronics. We ended up with a total loss

I feel really bad for you. Know that we are all here for you. Everyone is safe- toys although valuable can be replaced- life cannot. Stay strong, and rebuild as you can. Please don't hesitate to ask for any help
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

RC10resto

Post by RC10resto »

Damn Rod, wish it was still April 1 and this was a joke.
I am in shock, this is a real bummer - don't know what to say.
Wow, this is horrible and very sad.
As already stated we will be here for you.

DennisM
Approved Member

Post by DennisM »

Glad You and Your family are okay - darn shame about the collection
Gone fishing

ChisaiKuso
Approved Member

Post by ChisaiKuso »

Holy @#$^#%! There really are no words...

I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we're glad you are OK. If there is anything we can do, please let us know.
Something clever goes here...

j-sou
Approved Member

Post by j-sou »

Geez Rod, that's terrible! So glad your family and pets are ok though!!
-I never said I knew what I was doing, I just said I was gonna do it!"

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

When you get all cleaned up, and the shock is over I'm sending you a new-built Team Car to get you started back up again. Sorry to hear about the fire, I'm glad you didn't lose the entire home or lives.

Reggie-

myfordcnc
Approved Member

Post by myfordcnc »

sorry dude. fire, uhgh lost my grandma to one when i was ten jumped out the second story and snaped my ankle ran to get help but it was too late. i really feel for you. At least no lives were lost.when things are better put up a wanted list and if i have any thing on that list it is yours, no$. fair well man.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Sorry to hear the news Rod. It sucks being out of your home. We were out of ours for 3 months after a lighning strike in 2010. Had to stay in an extended stay hotel. It sucks, but it taught me that families can get through anything. Just think of the news stories where families lose loved ones and that will make you feel a little better. Just take peace in knowing that no one was hurt.

It will be a long road rebuilding, but take advantage where possible to change some things that you may have wanted to do anyway. Our house was much nicer after the renovation and insurance paid for most of it.

Sucks about the collection though. It's a stressful time. Just go with the flow and just think that by this Fall it will all just be a bad memory. :wink: Glad the dogs made it out!
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

uniquenamehere
Approved Member

Post by uniquenamehere »

Oh that sucks... i'm sorry to hear that... :(