10th scale my @$$

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

10th scale my @$$

Post by yellowdatsun »

Who moderates and sets these scale standards anyways? Is it like womens pants, where they just put on whatever size they feel like? All four of these are "10th scale", and there is a HUGE difference between the Ultima and the Axial Score. Like a 10 inch difference. All of the back wheels are lined up to match, if I lined up the bodies it's be even worse. The axial is more of an 8th scale vehicle, while the Slash is more of a 1/9th scale, the two buggies are close enough to be considered the same 10th scale.

Phin
Approved Member

Re: 10th scale my @$$

Post by Phin »

A Toyota Tundra is longer and wider than a Fiat 500 but they're both 1:1 scale. ;)

Scale has always been more of a loose guideline rather than a requirement. However, when Traxxas puts a Fiesta body on a Slash and still calls it 1/10 scale that's too much. :|

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

Yeh, but in real life the size between a dune buggy and a off road truck should not be that grossly exaggerated. The Proline buggy and associated SC10B are far closer to the trucks in scale. The traditional buggies are way too little to be considered the same scale. When my slash, on slicks, can easily drive over a B4, there's a problem, because that would not happen in real life.

Just look at it, that's absurd.

romulus22

Post by romulus22 »

Like phin stated. Scale is a general guideline on size. But you'll also notice these cars aren't 1/10 the weight of a full scale 4500 lb truck.

Incredible_Serious
Approved Member

Post by Incredible_Serious »

Just to muddy the waters somewhat.... the picture below is of two 1:10 scale Celicas.... green one is Kyosho, white one is Tamiya.
GT4.jpg
Awesome, hey?

:roll:

Alex
Osiris is the key.

"The world looks so much better through beer goggles... except Farmer in his underwear" - Ken

Look out for Todd K. - he's a convicted serial killer!!!

yellowdatsun
Approved Member

Post by yellowdatsun »

There should be some sort of standardization out there. HPI is now making a "1/10th" scale Trophy Truck, which is very noticeably smaller than the Axial Score TT. It'd be very hard for them to compete.

Edit, ahh wait a second, the HPI is now classified as a 1/12 vehicle. Really, it's probably closest to a true 1/10'th scale vehicle, but since it's noticably smaller than the erst of the trucks, they probably had to stick a 1/12 size on it. It's narrower than a short course truck, but about the same length. Still a lot smaller than the Axial Score. Initially I was hoping there'd be some competition for the Axial, but since the HPI won't be it, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Phin
Approved Member

Post by Phin »

HPI's Mini Trophy Truck was released a couple of years ago. It's already been discontinued.

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

On our wedding night my wife looked like this :( . I said "What? It's 12th scale..."
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Diamond Dave
Approved Member

Post by Diamond Dave »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:On our wedding night my wife looked like this :( . I said "What? It's 12th scale..."
Why would you be talking RC on your wedding night Ken? There are far more important things you two should have been doing. :mrgreen:

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:On our wedding night my wife looked like this :( . I said "What? It's 12th scale..."
L
O
L
!
!
!
:lol:

DMAT
Approved Member

Post by DMAT »

Its like how traxxas considers the maxx and revo's as a the "Big 10" scale.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I know this has been brought up on here in the past as I've ranted on the subject myself. The bottom line to me is that scales used to actually mean something, but now it's all just marketing jargon.

Mark Westerfield
Approved Member

Post by Mark Westerfield »

well, a vw based dune buggy (especially a single seat) is kinda small compared to a desert truck.
Attachments
dunebuggy.jpg

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

yellowdatsun wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:09 pmIs it like womens pants, where they just put on whatever size they feel like?
Women's dresses are no better. I can try on a Tory Burch in one size and pick out a similar Liz Claiborne and have to go up as much as 2 sizes... :?

Sorry, it seems I missed that joke in 2016 and didn't want to lose the second chance. :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I think this all goes way back. Tamiya made 1/10 scale models (replicated accurately I'd guess) and 1/12 as well. Then we started racing them and a rule book was written. The rules started dictating the wheelbase rather than it being a scale model. We still use 1/10, 1/8, and 1/12 to describe the formula but it's little to do with real size anymore.
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.