The Samurai

The place for all things Marui.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

JamieB
Approved Member

The Samurai

Post by JamieB »

Just got handed this

Other half will kill me so need to wait until the weekend before I get a good look at what condition its in. Doesn't seem too bad? I have a bag of bits which has the motor in it. Mind you it does stink! You know that old smell like an old book shop.

I have a very old Iphone, so old Steve Jobs no longer supports the dam thing which is why the pics are poor.

DennisM
Approved Member

Re: The Samurai

Post by DennisM »

Congratulations 8) I´ve got a soft spot for the Samurai.
Doesn´t look bad at all - chassis has achieved a bit of tan during the last 30 years but apart from that, it seems to be in good shape.
The gearbox and chassis plastics are very brittle, so be carefull :)
Gone fishing

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Funny you should mention the tan. Possibly not something I would have noticed, however now you mention it the Futaba radio I also received has gone the same colour. I know that should have been white when new. Guessing so should the tanned bits on this car.

I didn’t set out to buy this buggy but spotted it for sale at a price I couldn’t resist so snapped it up. I like buggies that look like proper buggies. I spent five minutes searching the car then bought it. I thought I was going to lose out as PayPal kept crashing on me. I think I love it already, got a few other projects on the go so this one may be stored for a bit but will eventually be cleaned up. I will certainly post some more detailed better quality pics around the weekend when the other half is out!

I have seen a clip on you tube of one of these running, would love to run this one, slowly.. The motor looks like a dud, its got what looks like red wax all over it. I will have a better look another time when I have gloves on. Who knows what’s on this car.

First impressions are good, it is very dusty though and that smell..

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

Smelly and browned plastic... Did it come from a smokers home?
Red wax... Dry rotten or molten balloon to keep the dust out?

Dirtdiver
Approved Member

Post by Dirtdiver »

My Samurai was probably never run (based on the condition of the car and ties) and the red plastic motor cover also looks like it has melted over time.

naushad
Approved Member

Post by naushad »

Nice. A great car to restore!

1. Have a look at the underside of the rear gearbox. This area is thin and has a tendancy to crack.

2. HAve a look at the diffs. They can crack in places too.

3. The shock mounts can also crack.

4. The red wax you describe could be the remants of a motor balloon that protected the motor from moisture/dirt. It probably melted in the heat!

Plenty of parts on eBay if you need to restore.

Enjoy!

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Breaking News - Other half has told me she is possibly out Thursday night. Instead of asking Paris Hilton around I am going to strip the Samurai. What is the best method to clean this gunk (possibly smoking tar) from the plastic?

I will post some more detailed pictures as I go I promise. Just not sure how often I will get to work on this one as its a secret car! I would be working on the Tomy racer but still waiting on parts from the model shop, almost our weeks now!

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

JamieB wrote:Breaking News - Other half has told me she is possibly out Thursday night. Instead of asking Paris Hilton around I am going to strip the Samurai. What is the best method to clean this gunk (possibly smoking tar) from the plastic?

I will post some more detailed pictures as I go I promise. Just not sure how often I will get to work on this one as its a secret car! I would be working on the Tomy racer but still waiting on parts from the model shop, almost our weeks now!
If you change your mind and strip Paris... You know how much we love pictures 8)

terry.sc
Approved Member

Post by terry.sc »

JamieB wrote:Breaking News - Other half has told me she is possibly out Thursday night. Instead of asking Paris Hilton around I am going to strip the Samurai. What is the best method to clean this gunk (possibly smoking tar) from the plastic?
If you have a dishwasher, running it through a low temperature cycle will do the job quickly. The dishwasher detergent is powerful enough to cut through the tar. I'd even throw the transmitter in as well, as long as you leave it to dry out thoroughly before switching it on it won't affect the electronics.
It also means you should be able to get it done in one go so you should be able to get the parts washed, then a short cycle to ensure there is no remains in the dishwasher before the other half gets home. :D

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

That is a great idea, dishwasher it is. Dam I am going to stick a load of bits in there from other stuff as well. Might as well make the most of it.

I guess small bits go on the basket thing and big bits can be cable tied to the racks. I'm going to find it difficult to actually wait until Thursday now.

JamieB
Approved Member

Post by JamieB »

Guys,

I am dipping out of this one. I stripped the car, put most of the plastics through the dishwasher but what I suspected was nicotine has remained. I have decided to list the car on ebay for sale and use the funds for my other two cars. I might be asking too much on ebay who knows any way I will see what I can get and if I get enough get a set of lipos and charger or put the cash towards these.

Plus I need the room.

Here are the pics of the cleaned car mostly back together.

Plus my 3 year old was trying to take it off me last night!

tamiyadan
Approved Member

Post by tamiyadan »

rhyde
Approved Member

Post by rhyde »

love the samurai
was the car that started it all for me, my neighbour had one and i would just run outside when i heard him blast it down the street.
great memories