Need Some Help

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Halgar
Approved Member

Need Some Help

Post by Halgar »

Anybody familiar with GIMP photo editor? I need to know how to make a pie graph. What I am looking for is basically a circle with three equally sized pieces that I can put images into. The "directions" and vids I've found so far have been clear as mud. #-o :roll:
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

mytimac
Business Member

Re: Need Some Help

Post by mytimac »

Before I get into the text that is probably little help. If you have a recent (last 4 years) iphone or ipad or Mac, use Keynote that comes with it to create pie chart.

I have used Photoshop since the 90's and GIMP is always mentioned as desperate sub for Photoshop. But Photoshop doesn't have a make Pie wedge feature either. You have to get more creative. You need to make circles and then use, probably the selection box, to then delete parts of the circle. Then maybe rotate circle and select more to delete until you have a shape you are happy with. Repeat with other circles. This hard to explain in text. But you can also use "magic wand tool" if GIMP has one to select your first circle but then use that selection on other circles to remove the area in the pie that will be occupied by the first circle you did.

Probably this makes little sense but yeah that is it, you have to problem solve using the tools available.
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

mytimac
Business Member

Post by mytimac »

Halgar wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:29 am Anybody familiar with GIMP photo editor? I need to know how to make a pie graph. What I am looking for is basically a circle with three equally sized pieces that I can put images into. The "directions" and vids I've found so far have been clear as mud. #-o :roll:
Here is what can do in Keynote if you have any recent Apple product. It is real easy.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 2.07.31 PM.png
http://oldrc.com - Find parts for older Losi, Associated, Tamiya and others.
http://vintagelosi.com - Manuals and information on older Team Losi models

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

I'm on a PC and don't have any other electronic devices to work with, so, yeah, gotta work with what tools I have. 8)

Gimp seems to closely follow PS, though not as flexible or powerful. Yes, I have to create a circle first, then using the path selection tool I can draw a single line. By holding the control key I can then bend that line at the start point (center of the circle ). Great! I can even manually move either end of the line, which is nice, but I've yet to figure out how to input a precise angle so that I have 3 equal sections when I'm done, and I have yet to figure out how to create another line, or vector, so that I can divide the circle into 3 sections.

I suspect that this is where layers are going to come in, but since I can't figure out how to create a 120* angle in one layer, I sure as heck am not going to figure out how to sync multiple layers to create the effect I'm looking for.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!