So who also collects Lego?

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

ROH73
Approved Member

So who also collects Lego?

Post by ROH73 »

This came up in another post and I didn't want to hijack that one even more, so I started a new one here. Any Lego fans out there? I got back into Lego 7 years ago when my son became interested. I'm not sure which one of us has more sets :D .

Here's some of my Lego, under some vintage RC:

20190320_215920.jpg

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Re: So who also collects Lego?

Post by LoboNYC »

Im not going to say i collect Legos because that would mean i have a nice number of them, however i can say i have two Lego sets. :lol: :wink:

Two Lego Sets and about 40 RC's.

My daughter gifted me a Lego VW micro bus that contains 1334 pieces. I purchased the VW bug to go along with the bus, which contains 1167 pieces.

All i need now is TIME...for both the Lego and the RC's :mrgreen:

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

Those VW sets are very nice! I don't have either, but they're on my want list for someday.

I too struggle to find time for my hobbies. I can't do them all at the same time, so I just migrate from one to the other, and then back again. Right now I'm trying to spend more time with RC.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

I had Legos when I was younger, and some pretty sweet ones too. Original Benny and all of the space guy colors. Mysteriously, the big bin is gone nowhere to be found and no one has fessed up to where they may be. Although you can find a Lego in pretty much any drawer in my mom's house.

My children have about 100 thousand now.

Lowgear
Administrator

Post by Lowgear »

I mainly had Lego In the 80s to early 90s. I still have a bunch of it stored away in a 40 gallon tote. The last Lego kit I built was an R/C Monster Dino (4958) around 10 years ago. :)

R Cane
Approved Member

Post by R Cane »

When I was growing up, Legos were my absolute favorite toy. Once my son got old enough to enjoy them, I started picking up Legos wherever I saw them... yard sales, Goodwill, etc.
His favorite are definitely Star Wars sets, he's got about 15 different ones, and I have about 20. Then we've got another 50 or sets between us. It's awesome, like a second childhood!
:P

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

ROH73 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:57 pm Those VW sets are very nice! I don't have either, but they're on my want list for someday.

I too struggle to find time for my hobbies. I can't do them all at the same time, so I just migrate from one to the other, and then back again. Right now I'm trying to spend more time with RC.
These are the Lego kits. for the VW bus i purchased a light kit that even has a light for license plate....cool stuff.

I migrate myself from hobby to hobby, however now i find myself narrowing my hobbies down to just a few. RC being one

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

Very cool stuff! The light kits are a nice touch.

My son loves the Star Wars and Marvel superhero lines. I tend to purchase the Creator series for myself, particularly the large modular buildings. They're expensive, but always a fun build with really great results. I don't have it yet, but this year's modular has an automotive theme:

10264.jpg

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

My daughter was into them briefly when she was younger. Her sets weren't nearly as cool as the ones mentioned here. A lot of pink in there... :|

A friend of ours in the neighborhood we grew up in had a huge tote full of them that we used to play with a lot. Mostly a soap box derby type situation. The only downfall was that there was one set of wheels that had much less rolling resistance than all the others so we were always fighting over them! :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

You might call me a Lego collector, though I don't really buy that many sets for myself. I mostly try to preserve and complete the models which I've had since I was a kid. There are a few sets from that era which I would like to have, but I have not come across them at reasonable prices; mostly sets which my friends had. I live in Argentina, and Lego here commands exorbitant prices, even used.

I keep a database of all the sets I have owned on Brickset.com and Rebrickable.com. I've spent countless hours scouring set inventories for an obscure part I have and don't know the origin of. That's how I connected set number 480-1 (on the first row in the attachment below) with my first Lego memory of my dad bringing home a red helicopter, and us building it on the rug in my parents room. There are few pieces from this set remaining in my bin, but there are a couple which can only be traced back to this set. I have another helicopter, which, for a time, I thought had been the only one I had had, but it didn't match my memory of that day (plus it's too modern). Might sound silly, but figuring all this out, by process of elimination, was an eureka / butterflies in my stomach moment; nostalgia at it's maximum.

I'll post some photos of the sets I have assembled over the week end.
This one you may have already seen in my RC10 post (and in my avatar).

Lego 948_02.jpg

And this is an inventory (as closely as I've managed to reconstruct) of all the Lego sets I have owned, even if I only have one or two parts still with me.

Lego Inventory from Rebrickable.jpg
Chris

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

You guys probably already know this, but there is a documentary series on Netflix called The Toys That Made Us. Season 2 has an episode on Legos that you may find interesting. The entire series is actually pretty interesting. Especially season 1.
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Bakauata
Approved Member

Post by Bakauata »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:17 pm You guys probably already know this, but there is a documentary series on Netflix called The Toys That Made Us. Season 2 has an episode on Legos that you may find interesting. The entire series is actually pretty interesting. Especially season 1.
Yes, I've watched quite a few episodes. The Star Wars one: What a cock-up that first release was! Barbie: Amazing story. And G.I. Joe: I had 4 of the first, larger ones. Played them to death. Mine were actually Action Man Eagle Eyes, from England. They had the stubbly hair, gripping hands (which did not stand the test of time with a kid that had them hold fire crackers for dynamite), and the directional eyes controlled from behind the head. Incredible outfits they had.
Chris

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

That is a really good series; I haven't seen the Lego one yet, however. It's dangerous, though, because it makes me want to collect more toys :mrgreen: .

Bakauata: You own or have owned some great vintage Lego!

Brickset is a fantastic resource. It's helped me immensely with my collection. I love the older Pirate and Castle sets and I've bought many piles of used bricks on eBay (for next to nothing) and assembled some great vintage sets from them, primarily using Brickset as a guide to determine what is what, download manuals, etc.

LoboNYC
Approved Member

Post by LoboNYC »

ROH73 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:42 am That is a really good series; I haven't seen the Lego one yet, however. It's dangerous, though, because it makes me want to collect more toys :mrgreen: .

You definitely have a point on the dangers...

Walked into the Lego store and picked this up, even though i had said i wasnt going to.

Unfortunately they had the Mustang on a turntable on the window and i was drawn to it. I was like "they wont have it, its probably out of stock".

I asked if they had it and the lady said YES....

Okay so this is the last kit...no more LEGOs for me....Wait, thats what i said about the Mustang :lol:

ROH73
Approved Member

Post by ROH73 »

That Mustang is a fantastic set. It's on my list too; hopefully by the end of the year.

Lego sets are like potato chips...and vintage RC...you just can't have a few! :lol: