Hobbywing XR10 Pro G2 Failure

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Basher67
Approved Member

Hobbywing XR10 Pro G2 Failure

Post by Basher67 »

I've been using various Hobbywing esc's for a couple years now and have been a big fan of their products. My No prep street eliminator drag car is powered with the latest hobbywing XR10 Pro G2 with the wifi module I purchased and installed it less than 3 months ago and absolutely loved it. It's powering my Fantom 4.5t Icon V2 motor. Everything performed flawlessly until our last list race about 2 weeks ago. During one race, at the launch, the car had a "hiccup" off the line. Amost like the 2 step you get when a sensor wire has gone bad. I checked the sensor wire and the throttle response of the car as soon as I got back to the pit and everything appeared to be fine. I finished out the day of racing with no more issues. As many of you know, we've had some serious fires over here in Oregon and the air quality has been horrible. It finally started clearing up a bit here in Medford and I took the opportunity to do some test hits with my car at my favorite spot. My daughter was doing super slo-mo videos of my car at launch to test the grip of various brands and tire compounds. On the third set of tires, after a short carpet burnout, I set the car at the line, pulled the throttle, and------nothing. I took the car back to my tailgate pit area and inspected everything. Nothing was obvious except there was some kind of major failure with the esc. I unplugged everything until I got home and started to go through every type of test I could think of. Replaced the sensor wire, wired up a different motor----no change. Also the esc problem was not consistent. At one point, after resetting all the throttle end points, it refused to turn off with the switch. I had to unplug it. After coming up with no solution, I decided to take it to my hobby shop which is a hobbywing dealer. When I soldered back up the fantom motor and tried to turn it on, it made a horrendous noise out of the motor and a small wiff of smoke. I yanked all connections immediately. Now, apparently, hobbywing only has a 30 day warranty on their electronics now. My lhs is putting in the return claims. They happened to have one on the shelf, so I bought another one. Installed it the next day, only to find that the previous esc meltdown had fried my wifi express module. No light came on and the unit became hot to the touch after about 20 seconds. After installing a mild tune in the new esc and verifying there was no damage to the motor, I returned to my spot to do some passes. Everything looked really good and after installing my second battery for the night, I did a short burnout, set it on the line, pulled the trigger and--------you guessed it, NOTHING! This time it would still work depending on where the motor was rotated, so I thought maybe a motor problem. After talking with Fantom, I ran the motor through all the tests on an analyzer and it tested perfectly. The problem was a second burned out esc. $500 worth of hobbywing electronics burned up within 3 days.
Now I know I've been long winded here, but I wanted to eliminate the questions of how, why, what I did wrong, etc. Here are the facts. Nothing was ever wired incorrectly, neither esc or the motor ever got anywhere near hot (usually around 90 degrees for the esc and 105 for the motor, although the motor got up to about 150 when the first esc burned up), the overheat safeties for motor and esc have never been changed from the factory setting, I only run quality 2s batteries and a flash pack, And the motor is well within the rated capability of the esc. Both esc's and the wifi express are in the process of being sent back to hobbywing. I can only hope that their customer service is as good as I've heard they are. Anyone else heard of anything like this?

GoMachV

Re: Hobbywing XR10 Pro G2 Failure

Post by GoMachV »

Sorry I don’t have experience with that one but I have had that same thing happen multiple times with the motors where it won’t start unless it’s in a specific spot. On my Maclan motors each time it was a blown solder joint at the stator causing it. Once it blew all three joints lol. This was only after a run as well, not during it. After the car cooled and we went to make another pass is when we discover the issue. Very disappointed in these Maclan. With what they did to their own team driver up here, everyone is dumping them anyway lol.

I hope you find your answer on the speed controls.
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

I would not run that motor again. If you got smoke out of it, something is shorted. Did you disassemble the motor and inspect it? You should inspect the stator for any discolored or melted varnish on the windings. Running a burnout in a car is far more stressful than spinning a motor up on an analyzer, the load may have shown the problem.

I have seen escs burn up, and take the motor with it. Then the motor can hurt a new esc.

duckhead

Post by duckhead »

I wouldn't rule out a bad sensor board on the motor, which might explain why it would only work on a certain phase.

However it is worth mentioning a 4.5T motor is pushing it for that ESC:

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/collections/xr10-pro-esc-g2
Motor spec recommendation:
With 2S LiPo: 1/10th Touring Car≥4.5T
1/10th Buggy ≥ 5.5T 3650 Motor

It is possible during your burnouts you are overloading/overloaded the ESC.

Odd problem, and sucks nonetheless :cry:

What model is your no prep car?

KidAgain
Approved Member

Post by KidAgain »

That really sucks to hear bud I was in the same boat with my R1 Digital3 the actual sensor port on the esc came out (im not the only one) with the sensor wire, same as you no heating issues make one hit cool off go again with fresh battery.

Havent contacted R1 yet I put in a Reedy 510r lets see how she does........The Arizona boys love this esc along with the R1 ive seen the 510r run 2.0's :shock:
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44