Hobbywing QuicRun 10.5 T Combo Really Slow So Frustrated (Correction, it Literally Flies!)

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Hobbywing QuicRun 10.5 T Combo Really Slow So Frustrated (Correction, it Literally Flies!)

Post by Snaab9-2 »

Hey guys. I was excited to go brushless and after a lot of research I decided to install a Hobbywing 60 amp Quicrun combo with a 10.5T motor. I figured this was borderline a little too fast for my KyoshoTurbo Ultima Pro XL but I wanted some good speed. I installed everything and calibrated the ESC and was excited to give it a go! I turned the punch down from the factory level of 7 to 2 to be nice to my gears. I eased into full throttle was really really disappointed as it only went about 15 mph (slower than the 17 turn brushed motor that I replaced)!

I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with it but I am totally lost. I recalibrated it a few times but that didn't help. When it goes full throttle the green light comes on the ESC indicating it is at 100% throttle. I REALLY don't want to have to return it especially as other than being slow it seems to run really good. I am running a 2S LIPO with a 100C rating.... I just don't get it.

Anyone have any ideas? Man..... such a waste of time. Hobbywing support didn't have any good ideas other than to try it in another car (royal PITA as my other cars are brushed) or with another battery and try to recalibrate it.

KidAgain
Approved Member

Re: Hobbywing QuicRun 10.5 T Combo Really Slow - So Frustrated - Any Ideas?

Post by KidAgain »

Does the esc have timing function?
Visit Nostalgic RC in the business section or @nostalgicrc on Facebook for your custom RC10DS parts

Gone: RC10, Jrx-2 and Jrx-t
Current: 3 SC10 first gens, 3 SC10 Street Outlaw's, 12 RC10 DS’s, Carbon RC10T, RC10LSS,RC10L, RC10 Graphite,RC10 B44

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

KidAgain wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:06 pm Does the esc have timing function?
Yes it does. By default it is set to 0. I have not tried to adjust the timing as I figured even at 0 it should be pretty darn quick. :?

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Thats a pisser.....is your sensor wire hooked up?
Tap pic for clarity: Derek

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

coxbros1 wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:49 pm Thats a pisser.....is your sensor wire hooked up?
Best I can tell it is in there good. It seems pretty smooth.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

You mentioned calibrating the ESC but didn't go into detail...what transmitter are you using, and did you make sure the throttle endpoints are set to default? Here's a vid of a similar Quicrun ESC calibration procedure for a FlySky GT3B.

Do you have a program card? You might try resetting it, recalibrating and trying again maybe.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

Coelacanth wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:32 pm You mentioned calibrating the ESC but didn't go into detail...what transmitter are you using, and did you make sure the throttle endpoints are set to default? Here's a vid of a similar Quicrun ESC calibration procedure for a FlySky GT3B.

Do you have a program card? You might try resetting it, recalibrating and trying again maybe.
I am using a vintage Futaba Magnum Sport FB- 2PB. I am not sure if the throttle endpoints are able to be set? I found an old manual (below).

For the ESC I put it into the calibration mode by holding down the set button and turning it on. Once I let go and then hit sit again to set the neutral position. Then I hit set again and did full throttle. Then a 3rd time for reverse.

Yes, I have the programming card for it.

Here is the manual for the remote. I checked and the throttle "servo" setting is set to reverse. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/378314/Futaba-Fp-2pb.html?page=4#manual

RC10th
Approved Member

Post by RC10th »

Is the car faster in reverse?
I was old school - when old school wasn't cool !

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

If it *is* faster in reverse, simply switch two of the 3 wires going to the brushless motor to reverse the motor direction...and change that servo setting. I believe most of these cheap ESC's are intended to be used with modern 2.4 GHz transmitters, I'm not sure how nicely a vintage transmitter plays with these cheap Chinese electronics. Modern transmitters indeed need to have that servo setting set to Reverse.
Completed projects: CYANide Onroad Optima | Zebra Gold Optima | Barney Optima | OptiMutt RWD Mid
Gallery - Coel's Stalls: Marui Galaxy & Shogun Resto-Mods | FrankenBuff AYK Buffalo | 1987 Buick GNX RC12L3

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Coelacanth wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:51 am Modern transmitters indeed need to have that servo setting set to Reverse.
I can't speak for everything made, but all of my vintage stuff requires the esc to be set to reverse. I always thought that sucked, because my first transmitter (Futaba stick) didn't have servo reversing.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

Same here, I don't recall an ESC setup that had the throttle servo set to normal, it's always reverse. The endpoint limits could logically play a part in this, but you'd think if you calibrated your transmitter/ESC with trigger all the way pressed, the ESC would "know" that's maximum throttle. A 10.5T combo would definitely be a helluva lot faster than 20 mph, so something isn't right, for sure. I'm running a 60A ESC/12T Leopard Toro combo in my OptiMutt and it's plenty fast enough, I had to dial down the punch a fair bit. A 10.5T would be significantly faster.

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

Well, I didn't realize the battery I was using was only at 7.2 volts so that was part of the problem (I thought it was higher as when it came out of the Bandit it hadn't hit the low voltage protection yet). The tires I had on there had little grip too so that dulled the performance a little more. Also, I only had about 2 min to check it out really quick when I ran it.

I took it out for a shake down run today and it was fairly quick on the original tires. That being said, even they the motor is called a 10.5T I think that is misleading. It is only 3600 kv. They sell another motor that is 10.5 T that is 4,000 KV (I almost got it but was worried it was too hot). Anyway, once I put some larger diameter tires on it it started to move pretty good (the punch is still set to 7 and that was a bit too high as it was doing wheelies and tearing up my motor guard). I think it needs a bigger pinion as the motor and speed controller were just slightly warm. I have a 22 tooth in there now but I think maybe like a 27 tooth could be good? Maybe I will adjust the timing first. IDK, it gets up to top speed very quickly and it is fast but doesn't seem all that fast. My son's Bandit weighs more, has a 3,550 KV motor (something like that), and is faster up top.

The brakes are set WAYYYY too strong and they are not usable. They just lock up. Also, I am getting terrible range on my remote and it gets glitchy out much past 150 feet or so.... so I need to figure that out. It really jerks the car when it glitches sometimes.

Anyway, sorry.... I guess I was just expecting it to be faster and at 7.2 volts it wasn't very impressive. The 17 turn motor I had in there I think was pretty hot and was rated at 33,000 rpms. 3600 kv x 8 volts is less than that so maybe that is why it isn't as quick as I expected (but it has so much low end torque).

Here is a quick video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4jOxVZ9eEU&feature=youtu.be

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

If you're concerned about overheating, putting larger diameter tires on AND going with a bigger pinion gear will increase the chances of overheating...just saying. You're already pulling wheelies, so try reducing the punch a notch or two, and lessen the drag brake setting. I wouldn't mess around with timing until everything else was running pretty much the way I liked.

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I'd be careful with the gearing. For off-road applications, that esc only looks to be rated down to 13.5 turns.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Coelacanth
Approved Member

Post by Coelacanth »

juicedcoupe wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:36 pm I'd be careful with the gearing. For off-road applications, that esc only looks to be rated down to 13.5 turns.
What he said. 8)