Scratching Off Another Desire Of My Youth: Clodbuster

Welcome to the new home of ClodTalk!

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Forum rules
Keep it all things Clod!
morrisey0

Scratching Off Another Desire Of My Youth: Clodbuster

Post by morrisey0 »

There is a long story about me constantly begging a friend of mine to use or borrow his CB back when I was 14 or so, and him never doing it for the longest time. He never played with it, and it just sat there. Then a one point, he needed a favor from me, so I negotiated a deal and got his rig for the weekend. And what a HUGE disappointment it was! :( Slow, no turn radius, about 3 minute run time, etc! I had hyped that thing up in my head as the greatest RC on earth! And wow, nope.

But all these many years later, I don't remember the poor performance of the truck. I remember how great they were in my head! I remember eying Peter's every time I went to his house! I remember all the pics in RCCA! I remember wanting one so bad, but for the price, they might as well cost a million dollars!

So, I finally found one locally for a reasonable price, so went for it. The point of this one is 80%+ stock. Nothing crazy, just maybe a couple of mild improvements. I am still lacking a few parts, but hopefully they pop up soon. It would definitely be easier to list the parts that are original than the parts that have been replaced. I keep going back and forth on the wheels. I like the bling of the chrome, but the originality of the white. I may wait to see what the final body color looks like with the chrome and make that call. New tires are already on the way.

No real build pics. Pretty easy build overall, until you forget to "pre install" that little nut in the axles and have to tear them apart later to install it. Finishing off the body is going to be my first experiment with airbrushing, so that is going to take some time. I have a pretty neat trick in my head for a printed tonneau cover, but it is being difficult right now.

Only changes from stock so far:
bearings
twin twisted scorpion motors (they were already on it)
dual motor HW ESC
chrome wheels
hood scoop
Attachments
clod 1.jpg
clod 2.jpg
clod 3.jpg
clod 4.jpg
clod 5.jpg
clod 6.jpg
clod 7.jpg
clod 8.jpg
clod 9.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Re: Scratching Off Another Desire Of My Youth: Clodbuster

Post by MarkyDents »

Sweet Clod ! Looks like it cleaned up to like new.
I too had a similar story of my childhood neighbor having one and I was never given the chance to drive it. All I had was my lowly (in my mind at the time) in comparison Monster Beetle.
Fast forward 20 years later and I finally purchased another one off a good friend. Man talk about disappointment…
Lack luster performance would be an understatement :lol:
Yet still I couldn’t have been happier to finally had one of my own. I picked up a couple more over the next few years and finally stopped when I found a nicely setup ESP Clod, now that was a real performer 8)
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

I've been keeping my eye out for a Super Clodbuster kit. They look like they would be a hoot to drive, but I've never seen one in person.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Frankentruck wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:57 pm I've been keeping my eye out for a Super Clodbuster kit. They look like they would be a hoot to drive, but I've never seen one in person.
They had a class for them at the track I grew up on. I could never afford one, but saw them run a good bit. Built one for someone else as part of my job at the shop. Very cool. Lots of parts. :lol:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

I knew I wanted the clod-busting guy on the truck somewhere, but I really didn't want to run the stock stickers on the doors. I also knew I didn't want to run the stock roll bar and lights, so I figured I needed to cover the bed with a tonneau cover. Figured that would be an okay place to put the buster. I learned many ways of how not to bring 2D images into a 3D environment before figuring out a way that would work in Sketchup.

Now I need to print up some magnet holders for the rear because I kinda lost access to the body posts.
Attachments
clod 10.jpg
clod 11.jpg
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

That cover looks AMAZING!!

While it's just a simple surface modeler, Sketchup can be incredibly versatile - especially if you're willing to invest the time needed to learn the software.
tamiya beetle body 2.jpg
Doug

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

MarkyDents wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:58 pm Sweet Clod ! Looks like it cleaned up to like new.
Not much cleaning on this rig ...................... just a lot of replacing! :mrgreen:

The leftovers on this build so far fill a gallon bag, and that does not include any body parts or wheels and tires. :shock:

But that is one of the reasons I kinda love this truck, and one of the main reasons I wanted to do one. IMO, 80%+ of this truck has not changed in 35 years! You can go to the "Big A" right now and buy a 2022 Super Clodbuster (SC), and when you flip the body over, it will be stamped "TAMIYA 1987." And I think I am correct (not an expert by any means) that all of the parts of a 2022 SC are backwards compatible to a 1987 CB. That is crazy! Clods are like the Checker Cabs of the RC industry! Aesthetics changed (red parts became blue and Chevy engravings vanished), but functionally, a 2022 Clod is the same as a 1987 Clod. And they didn't have to re-re it, it just kinda never went away.

I walked into the local HTUSA and bought 2 of the main 6 six parts trees, plus a smaller parts tree, that are original to my 1987 Clod! Literally, there are multiple parts trees that are the same after 35 years, and have the same model numbers! The only vehicle specific parts I have ever bought at the HT are for my [gone] DR-10 and my Infraction. And what weirded me out is that when I asked about CB parts (which online said they had), I expected the +/- 30 year old I was talking to, to look at me like a deer in headlights! First ask me what a clodbuster is, and then look to all those around him and ask if they sold any parts for them. BUT NO! The dude walked right over to the cabinet and pulled the parts, like I wasn't the only one to walk into the store looking for them!

So, I knew when I was looking to do a Clod, that I would probably end up replacing 80%+ of it, so I couldn't justify the $300-600 that so many people feel their original clods are worth. I just happened upon a realistic deal locally, and from a peep that I had worked with before, so it worked out.

Literally, from the original truck, the remaining used parts are:
Chassis
Gears and shafts
Motors (not OEM)
Axle stays
Outer steering hubs
Grille and lower valance
Tailgate

The last two there are the money shots. I have seen these two parts sell for more than I paid for my original rig. And they are just pieces of plastic, but they have the goods that people want. Then there is the red stuff, which is exactly the same as the blue SC stuff, but costs 3-4 times more.

Sorry for the long rant. I just kinda really like this truck so far! :)

MarkyDents
Approved Member

Post by MarkyDents »

Dude that tonneau cover came out Sweeeet 8)
Who do you race for ?
Me……. I race for me.
That’s impossible, I was told you need a sponsor to race.
Hey Cru ! Go balls out 8)

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

XLR8 wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:37 am While it's just a simple surface modeler, Sketchup can be incredibly versatile - especially if you're willing to invest the time needed to learn the software.
Yea, I am a little like a musician that plays but never really got taught how to play my instrument! I would have far less time in learning how to do this correctly than I have in constantly fixing my mistakes. But, at this point, oh well. Every project I do, I run into a challenge, and learn something new to get out of it, so maybe I will get good at it at some point.

My elementary lesson for this evening was planetary hubs. Since I lost so much chrome on the top end of the truck, I figured I would keep the wheels. But, they were too simple, and too much chrome. I plan to insert some threaded brass inserts in the back of these, and the whole thing act as the nut. This is just a first draft.
Attachments
CLOD 12.jpg

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

For some reason, every time I get into the final stretch of a build ..................... stupid work gets all busy like and I gotta do work! :(

Oh well, finalized the planetary hub design and got the parts printed out. They function just fine, and pass the 2' visual test. IMO, they look 100 times better than the solid chrome wheels. I was hesitant to go with the chrome wheels because I thought they may bring too much bling, but the hubs calm them down just enough.
CLOD 13.jpg
CLOD 14.jpg
And then an early delivery from across the pond. For some reason, you can't find these bumpers at any level in the US right now, but they are all over the UK. :? Of course, waiting for them was my excuse to be slow on the body, but now it is time to finish it up. This weekend is airbrush and final decal time ............................ well, hopefully.
CLOD 15.jpg

XLR8
Approved Member

Post by XLR8 »

Those hubs look great and are a big improvement over the stock wheel - makes the truck look more like a 1:1 monster truck. This something Tamiya should have done.
Doug

Benders
Approved Member

Post by Benders »

I always wanted a clod as a kid, but the price tag always prevented me from doing it I didn’t know anybody that had one I never even saw one run. But like you I lusted after it. Later they released the Bullhead which was the same truck with a Peterbuilt body. I never did care for the bullhead personally, and now 30 years later I finally own a clod. A friend of mine has had it since new and it has always been a shelf queen. As a matter of fact, the only run time on it is three laps around my living room! And I was kinda impressed that it would wheelie across the carpet enough to drag the rear bumper Now I find myself looking for upgrade parts and planning my financial ruin.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Wow this thing has dragged out! :shock: But, finally it has come together FOR the most part. I am still waiting on some headlight lenses to come in from across the pond, and still haven't found a new rear axle guard for the price I want to pay. Oh well.

For just a stocker, she came out pretty well I think.
CLOD DONE 1.JPG
CLOD DONE 2.JPG
CLOD DONE 3.JPG
CLOD DONE 4.JPG
CLOD DONE 5.JPG
CLOD DONE 6.JPG
CLOD DONE 7.JPG
CLOD DONE 8.JPG
CLOD DONE 9.JPG

coxbros1

Post by coxbros1 »

Looks Awesome!...

Anyone who doesn't like it can... Well I just can't say cause I will be banned! :lol:
Tap pic for clarity: Derek