Inaugural 2023 Tamiya Vintage World Classic - Thunder Alley R/C, Lucama NC - Jan 13-15

Post about upcoming or past events.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

scr8p
Administrator

Inaugural 2023 Tamiya Vintage World Classic - Thunder Alley R/C, Lucama NC - Jan 13-15

Post by scr8p »

Screenshot_20221112_125952_Facebook.jpg

dldiaz
Approved Member

Re: Inaugural 2023 Tamiya Vintage World Classic - Thunder Alley R/C, Lucama NC - Jan 13-15

Post by dldiaz »

Very interesting - Thanks for posting this!
- I am not sure I can make it, but I am looking into it - we'll see.
- Anybody else planning to make it??

So the handout motor will be a Torque Tuned, instead of the Sport Tuned.
- And looks like Classics will be divided into 2wd and 4wd?!
-dldiaz

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Inaugural 2023 Tamiya Vintage World Classic - Thunder Alley R/C, Lucama NC - Jan 13-15

Post by scr8p »

I know 4 guys that attend the vonats are going. Joe and I have been talking about it, along with Mark that came the to '21 vonats...... kind of with us. We run races together in our "area". I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it happen yet. Trying though.

An old friend of the forum may make an appearance also. :wink:

dldiaz
Approved Member

Post by dldiaz »

I am planning to make it to North Carolina for this event - I scheduled the Leave time from work this week.
- Hope to see you guys there!

I plan to bring a couple RC10s, Dirt Thrasher, and Comical Hornet.

-> I will bring an extra RC10T, in case any old friends want to run something! :D
-dldiaz

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

Sounds like a fun event. Hope you all can upload a youtube video of the race. Maybe next year an "Insect" class can be added (Grasshoppers, Hornets and the like)?
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

What are the "classics" for this event? I am failing at google. Love the idea of hand out Tamiya motor.

In that vein, would anyone actually care at VONATS if someone just used a Torque Tuned or whatever the handout was for the plastic chassis class in all their cars in all classes? So just swapped the silver can say into a JRX Pro SE and ran it in 17.5T class? I'm not a top contender and will be yelled to get out way if I run a silver can or nuclear reactor anyways. They're cheap, reliable and can use a cheap Hobbywing 1060 ESC to get fancy.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

Rules - http://vintageoffroadnationals.com/rules/

At the Vonats 2wd and 4wd run together in the Classic handout class. At this NC race they're splitting them up.

You're not going to want to be swapping a motor between 2 cars. Good chance you wouldn't have time to do so between heats, with running multiple classes and corner marshalling.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Got it, yeah I was more thinking what if someone just outfitted all their cars with sport tuned motors for cheap simplicity, wold it technically be allowed I guess. Even a cheapo 17.5t and esc is over $100, 540 sport tuned and whatever brushed esc is practically free. Just spit balling.

Thanks for the link.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

You wouldn't be able to use the sport or torque tuned motors in the 17.5 / 27t class. They are 25 and 23 turn motors. A stock silver can isn't gonna cut it. You would need a hot 27t stock motor at the very least if you didn't want to get some kind of 17.5 combo.

Keep an eye on ebay. You can sometimes find nice, used brushless esc/motor combos for a decent price.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Well if nothing else I am educated. All these years for some reason in my head I thought a SIlver can was 27 turn! Duh.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

A standard silver can that typically come in the Tamiya kits are 27t. The tuned ones are a little more spicy.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

That makes sense. So one could run that motor and meet the 17.5T or 27T rules I suppose. There was some video recently of a guy here who ran a silver can in his modern buggy. If I recall he was darn near on pace at his club race with his 17.5T times and was a good driver. Can't recall his name at moment.

morrisey0

Post by morrisey0 »

Any chance of a little rc10t booth / table set up? Have a few cars shown proudly with a banner or something? I am thinking about heading down for the weekend, and could bring a few display cars. Either way, I will probably show up anyway as I haven't seen vintage RC cars on a track since the vintage days.
I build RCs like people would have done back in the '90s ..................................... if they had 3D printers.

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

morrisey0 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:14 pm Any chance of a little rc10t booth / table set up? Have a few cars shown proudly with a banner or something? I am thinking about heading down for the weekend, and could bring a few display cars. Either way, I will probably show up anyway as I haven't seen vintage RC cars on a track since the vintage days.
I've never been there, so I don't know what kind of room they have. Not even sure they're having a concourse.

For me, this year, I'm just trying to make the event. :lol: It was kind of short notice when you look at the Vonats and have almost 5-6 months to prepare. It sounds like it's gonna be an annual thing, so maybe we can prep for a booth or something next year. But if you're planning on coming regardless and have the room, bring a table and some cars along and we'll see if there's room for you to set up a display.

RCveteran
Approved Member

Post by RCveteran »

Out of curiosity, would Rustler's and Bandits be allowed at these type events, they came out in 1994 so meets the 1995 standard.