Can you I.D. these?

Need something identified? This is the place.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Winger
Approved Member

Can you I.D. these?

Post by Winger »

I think I overpaid a bit for these, but curiosity killed the cat (I'm the cat). Anyone know what these are? Thanks for any help.
20230205_110044.jpg
20230205_110037.jpg
20230205_105744.jpg
20230205_105657.jpg

TravelinTravis
Approved Member

Re: Can you I.D. these?

Post by TravelinTravis »

No expert here....others will be able to add more....but...I think that's an OG Revtech modified motor 1987-89ish maybe. The blue caps and painted can are a dead give away. I'd say you might actually have a 12 turn Sizzler there! The number of winds is burned into the endbell of the second photo of the motor you posted, just not 100% clear in your photo. The cars....look like an Associated truggy with Andy's front arms and Houge rears + an RC10 with Andy's arms all around. Both look like Composite craft chassis. Just my .02 cents.....NICE SCORE!
279922145_391815059337596_3259068877395392840_n.jpg

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

Thanks for the response. Did some checking and Revtech Sizzler sure seems right to me. It is marked with the "12" like you mentioned.

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

Still digging on these.

Red wheel chassis has Andy's front and "Houge* Enterprise" rear arms. Does this one have the RC10 Stealth front shock tower? Can't seem to ID the shocks as they are not the typical gold of the RC10-more of a bronze color. Rear bulkhead and shock tower seem standard RC10, but I am not the authority on these parts. Out of my price range as a 12yo. :cry:

Pink Wheel ("Trinity") chassis has Andy's on front and back. Fronts tires embossed with "Dynamite Racing". Front wheels have no markings so am assuming it was a tire/wheel combo. Front shows appear typical RC10 where rears are idk what. do you?

Seems both have some sort of carbon composite chassis. Neither have the graphite texture.

I have no idea where to start on these, but something must be done with them. I can't just leave them in this state.

*Thanks Scr8p for this correction below.
20230207_103628.jpg

klavy69
Location: Fulton, IL (Land of one stop light but we DO have a windmill!)

Post by klavy69 »

Got a couple nice projects there 8)

the red wheeled rc10 looks like maybe someone started a truck conversion. Looks like front tower may be a JG truck conversion tower. Shocks look like kyosho golds but could be duratrax golds. The duratrax will have a bevel on the bottom of the shock body and usually a darker color gold. Chassis could be composite craft, duratrax, trinity. Can't tell by the pictures of what the edge looks like for what its made out of.

the 'trinity' car I'm assuming you're talking shocks when you ask about them. The reats look like someone tried de-annodizing kyosho golds or duratrax golds once again. Better pix of the shocks will answer that. front wheels are proline or trinity.

both are worth tearing down, cleaning and finishing. A seperate build thread for each will get more information for you.

Todd
Peace and professionlism.....Kabunga signing off!!!

Retro rc

Post by Retro rc »

Yep shocks on the truck are definitely kyosho golds,

The rear shocks on the buggy look to be kyosho platinums with different ball joints/ spring cups on the bottom

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

The trailing arm chassis is Houge, the arms and the chassis. The slotted chassis most likely Composite craft.

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

Thanks for the replies! Took a few more specific pics to help better determine. Will do some digging and see if they are Kyosho or Duratrax golds. Lower spring retainers on the bottom of the gold shocks do match the W5002 Kyosho Golds and the silvers do seem to match the Kyosho W5004s. OK, the chassis on the car does match the Composite Craft 10026 RC-10 Slotted Chassis. Truck tires on red rims are proline Striker II 22AC50.
20230207_135217.jpg
20230207_134556.jpg
20230207_134547.jpg
20230207_133656.jpg
20230207_133644.jpg

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

The silver shocks look to be the kyosho platinums as mentioned above.

But yeah, the gold shocks look like they got the bevel/chamfer on the bottom of the shock body. That would make them duratrax. The bottom of a kyosho shock body will be sharp where the duratrax shock will have a slight bevel. The duratrax shocks when you take them apart only have one o-ring where the kyoshos are 2 o-ring setups. I can't get my pix to load but there are some definite pictures on the site here somewhere. But the more I look at your pictures the more my eyes are messing with me. If it has a chamfer on the bottom edge it would be a duratrax though...

Todd

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

klavy69 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:32 pm The silver shocks look to be the kyosho platinums as mentioned above.

But yeah, the gold shocks look like they got the bevel/chamfer on the bottom of the shock body. That would make them duratrax. The bottom of a kyosho shock body will be sharp where the duratrax shock will have a slight bevel. The duratrax shocks when you take them apart only have one o-ring where the kyoshos are 2 o-ring setups. I can't get my pix to load but there are some definite pictures on the site here somewhere. But the more I look at your pictures the more my eyes are messing with me. If it has a chamfer on the bottom edge it would be a duratrax though...

Todd
Easy enough so I tore one down to see 1 or 2 seals and... :lol:

20230207_190145.jpg
NOTE: FR
Although I did get a tighter shot... The tapering extends about 6.92mm.
20230207_190223.jpg

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

Lol. About the seals but not surprised.

Had to get my phone out to get the picture enlarged enuf to see that its duratrax.

Todd

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

klavy69 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:19 pm Lol. About the seals but not surprised.

Had to get my phone out to get the picture enlarged enuf to see that its duratrax.

Todd
NOTE: RR Shcok :lol: But wait...THERE IS MORE! :lol: So I pulled off another shock (same chassis):
20230207_192024.jpg
20230207_192010.jpg
Seems this one is missing the clip and ?is? a Kyosho Gold?

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

This is the chamfer…
Attachments
BD03A95B-C7CE-4253-92A7-2EBEEA1D6D0F.jpeg
380D1435-EEAF-40E3-B650-EB9AEB729864.jpeg
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Winger
Approved Member

Post by Winger »

Shock 3 (RL)- This one was actually complete when I tore it down:
20230207_194015.jpg
20230207_194007.jpg
Not tearing down the fourth shock as I am quite clear now on which is which. It has Duratrax on the front and Kyosho Gold on the rear.

Duratrax shafts are 3.05mm and the Kyosho shafts are 2.96mm.

I wonder if the depth is different in the two shocks for the seals since Duratrax seal compartment only uses one rubber o-ring and Kyosho uses 2 o-rings. I didn't think of checking until after I put it all back together. This third shock body kinda forces the question since it appears to have a bit of bevel at the bottom,but perfectly accommodates the seals as shown this post.

Primarily, it seems I am need of a transmission to get started with this mess. See what trans this chassis will work with. I would guess a 6 gear, but does anyone know for sure before I start spending on the "truck" chassis? Suppose I leave it a truck since I am digging these tires/wheels and I would not have any other place to use them.

klavy69

Post by klavy69 »

cool, makes me feel less crazy looking at your pictures now :lol: .
Winger wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:42 pm I wonder if the depth is different in the two shocks for the seals since Duratrax seal compartment only uses one rubber o-ring and Kyosho uses 2 o-rings. I didn't think of checking until after I put it all back together. This third shock body kinda forces the question since it appears to have a bit of bevel at the bottom,but perfectly accommodates the seals as shown this post.
While looking for the pictures on the board I did find a member who had some duratrax shocks that he milled enough room out of the shock body that he could use two o-rings. More information in his thread Modified Duratrax shocks.

Both your chassis looked to be only drilled for 6 gear but not knowing how you feel about drilling them for stealth its really up to how deep you wanna go down the rabbit hole to where these will be in the end. That 'truck' would look great back to buggy with an lethal weapon in it but thats just my opinion.

Good luck with the builds.

Todd