Problem with engine

When it's R/C related, but doesn't fit anyplace else.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Tadracket
Approved Member

Problem with engine

Post by Tadracket »

Well, I tore down the "Paris" Picco G1 this evening. I put Paris in quotes because I am taking the guys word for it. There is nothing no where that says Paris on this motor. Someone has been in it, but hard to tell who. It does have a hand scribed serial on the side. Not sure who did that, maybe Picco.

So as I am tearing this thing down, it becomes apparent this is not an engine to be toyed with. The crank was very minimalistic and opened at the carb like a cheap.....well, it was open. It was already fanged in the end, I just smoothed that out some to ease the transition from crank to case. The 5+1 cylinder has 2 extra ports excellently tunneled in under the intakes and the pistons have been drilled to allow transfer. The ports have already been worked. I fanged them a little more and smoothed out some rough edges. Is this stock or the work of a genius or just another bone head like me trying to destroy a very expensive (at the time) motor?

Over all, the engine looks great and has impressive compression. I did notice some discoloration of the rear bearing so I dug a little deeper with the flash light.

I found a crack in the case :cry: It is oh an inch or so long but does not reach the exterior of the case. It runs almost mid line with the left side mounting flange. I pulled this engine from the Hyper 8 I bought off FleaBay. Got the car cheap so I am not overly disturbed.

My first thought is to install it in the RC 500 and tool around the house with it. Buy a new engine for the Hyper 8. My wallet says run the hell out of it at the track and buy a new one IF this one breaks.

My question(z), has anyone:

1. seen/have a Ron Paris motor or know how to distinguish one from just another Picco.

2. had a case break and still ran the motor.

3. What would you do? Keep in mind I have no money and this would set me back another 6 months from running this car if I have to replace it.

Thanks for any help or suggestions on this.

Engines, one more thing added to the list of stuff I will not buy from eBay.
He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Re: Problem with engine

Post by Erich Reichert »

1. seen/have a Ron Paris motor or know how to distinguish one from just another Picco.
I'm going to assume this is a newer motor not a vintage one since your putting it in a car to run, Paris motors are usually numbered and i odn't know that i've ever seen a Picco that came that way from the factory. It sounds like its certainly been modded and that is where Paris would've come in.

yes and yes... not for more then oh say a minute bc it exploded shortly thereafter. If it looks like its cracked on the inside it could go through and not be visible until things get warmed up and expand. Its cast so i don't konw that you could necissarily "fix" it but if its a new motor you could probably pick up a junker motor and use it for the case

3. What would you do? Keep in mind I have no money and this would set me back another 6 months from running this car if I have to replace it.
What are yo udoing with this? Whats it going in? if your going to race I wouldnt' even put it on the track... you'd be better off picking up a used motor off ebay and driving it into the ground until you can get money together.

aconsola
Approved Member

Post by aconsola »

Tadracket wrote:
My first thought is to install it in the RC 500 and tool around the house with it.
Keep in mind I have no money and this would set me back another 6 months from running this car if I have to replace it.
I'll bet you have no money after buying a house big enough to be able tool around with an RC-500.
Other than that nothing productive to add. 8)

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

aconsola wrote:
Tadracket wrote:
My first thought is to install it in the RC 500 and tool around the house with it.
Keep in mind I have no money and this would set me back another 6 months from running this car if I have to replace it.
I'll bet you have no money after buying a house big enough to be able tool around with an RC-500.
Other than that nothing productive to add. 8)
:lol: yeah, that could easily be taken literally.
Erich Reichert wrote:1. seen/have a Ron Paris motor or know how to distinguish one from just another Picco.
I'm going to assume this is a newer motor not a vintage one since your putting it in a car to run, Paris motors are usually numbered and i odn't know that i've ever seen a Picco that came that way from the factory. It sounds like its certainly been modded and that is where Paris would've come in.

It is a used motor. And from what I can tell, at least 5 years old. I did not realize this motor was that old when I bought the car. I think the owner just threw something in there to get it moving.

yes and yes... not for more then oh say a minute bc it exploded shortly thereafter. If it looks like its cracked on the inside it could go through and not be visible until things get warmed up and expand. Its cast so i don't konw that you could necissarily "fix" it but if its a new motor you could probably pick up a junker motor and use it for the case

After further inspection, the crack run along the bottom of the mounting flange. I can see where torque could put this engine into self destruct mode real quick.

What are yo udoing with this? Whats it going in? if your going to race I wouldnt' even put it on the track... you'd be better off picking up a used motor off ebay and driving it into the ground until you can get money together.
My goal was to eventually race this car. I have never raced before so it is all a new thing for me. It is going in a Hyper 8. I may take your advice Erich on the used motor. But due to the nature of this hobby :wink: , I may just drop a couple Franklin's on a decent new engine. I was going to buy a Revo with some money I got coming but I guess I should get one car going before I move on to another :shock: I bet I am not the only one on this board guilty of that :lol:

Thanks Guys.

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

I've heard good things about the Dynamite Platinum .21, ie reliable, powerful, cheap. stay away from used engines. 1/8th buggies are much easier to drive with a little less HP and a linear powerband...

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Yeah, I was just perusing Tower and $200 will get most engines there. I'm just going to by a new new one when I have some cash. I don't need a crazy fast motor. I'm not very good on the track so speed is my enemy for now.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

A clod buddy put an XTM engine in one of his R/C's and loved it. It was less expensive than most other brands, was a real power house, easy to tune and maintain. Best of all is that it cost him practically nothing after he sold the original engine and a few other baubles not needed when he made the engine swap.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

I have no experience with XTM engines but I have used other products of theirs and am highly impressed with fit, finish and durability. It is on the list. So far, OS is the leader. I have never had a problem with OS engines and I have been using them for almost 15 years.

Halgar
Approved Member

Post by Halgar »

If you want to talk to someone about the XTM, it's 132NHAF, over at Clodtalk. You could probably do a search and find the threads he's talked about the engine in. Just a thought.
klavy69 wrote:... when I give you s&#t its a loan...I want it back!

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Sounds like a plan. I need to show my ugly face over there anyway. I have not logged in but once since I created an account.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Honestly Tad, if you've never race... DON"T spend money on motors... if the 8 came wiht the RTR motor run that unitl you get used to the whole race thing. THere's a lot more to motors getting raced then just running nitro. Keep it simple ya know!

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

Erich Reichert wrote:Honestly Tad, if you've never race... DON"T spend money on motors... if the 8 came wiht the RTR motor run that unitl you get used to the whole race thing. THere's a lot more to motors getting raced then just running nitro. Keep it simple ya know!
I feel ya. I'm not spending crazy money on a motor. The 8 came with the Picco and I am tempted to run it since the damage is below the mounting flange and is carrying the stress of the bottom instead of the top. But it is such a pretty motor. And if it is a Paris motor, I don't want to destroy it.

I will probably go with something in the <$150 range. The track I go to does not have a frequency policy and I still want to upgrade to 2.4Ghz. If anyone tears up my crap, I want it to be me. :lol:

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Go to GShobby.com and pick you up an RB S3 II. Excellent powerband, long lasting motor.
It doesn't have the long legs of a modified 7 port, but you'll outdrive them in the twisty stuff. Also manage 10+ minutes per tank if tuned properly.

Erich Reichert
Approved Member

Post by Erich Reichert »

Ya those are great motors... Radical is a pretty underrated motor too. I had one in my XB8 and it was very suprising for the money.

Tadracket
Approved Member

Post by Tadracket »

I was looking at the RB engines on Tower the other day. They are a good looking engine. I was shocked out how expensive some of them are. But the one mentioned above is within my price range.