Became a first time Dad

Feel free to discuss anything NON-R/C related that is on your mind.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Became a first time Dad

Post by TokyoProf »

I became a new dad to a newborn son. Strange for me to say it after all these years. I was THAT guy thinking it wasn't necessary, that it would be okay unmarried and without kids. No looking back now lol! Typing this as I try to figure out the basics of holding, changing, burping, balancing work, being sleepless etc. Any fatherhood advice, your fatherhood journey comment's welcome.
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

TRX-1-3

Re: Became a first time Dad

Post by TRX-1-3 »

TokyoProf wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:10 am I became a new dad to a newborn son. Strange for me to say it after all these years. I was THAT guy thinking it wasn't necessary, that it would be okay unmarried and without kids. No looking back now lol! Typing this as I try to figure out the basics of holding, changing, burping, balancing work, being sleepless etc. Any fatherhood advice, your fatherhood journey comment's welcome.
Blessed with my first at 40 and the third at 46 (all girls). Just embrace it. Everything else will figure itself out along the way. Got one in the bath right now hoping she doesn't do a number 2 while she's in there. Dad pun: can't be a doctor without any patience.

Gonna need plenty of that!

I should have opened with CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Was initially indifferent to the whole thing, myself. Then it seemed like a now or never thing. I kinda kick myself sometimes for not doing it sooner in life, but I believe that is a "normal" feeling and anybody that tells you they have it all figured out is full of baloney. It's definitely a challenge. It really is a selfless endeavor, but I struggle with selfishness sometimes. You'll be fine. All the stuff and stereotypical Dad life mumbo-jumbo is mostly made up from worst case scenario Hollywood garbage. We're not idiots who can't fix a leaky pipe or change a diaper. Just ride the ride!

There're five "S's"....something like..
Soothe
Swaddle (some babies no likey the swaddle)
Shhhh
Sway...
I forget the 5th.....Anyway sounds like that phase right now....Oh, and never wake a sleeping baby. Unless it's an emergency.
Hope you're doin' something fun.

Dadio
Approved Member

Post by Dadio »

I'll get the congratulations in straight away .
Advice
They are not made of glass , baby's are quite resilient really .
You'll try not to make the mistakes your parents did but in doing so you'll make all new mistakes , forgive yourself .
You are not superman and you'll need help sometimes .
NOBODY IS READY :!:
If a jobs not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well.
A problem shared is a problem halved but an advantage shared is no advantage at all.

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Congratulations!

Infants sometimes accidentally scratch themselves with their fingernails. A pair of baby socks over the hands takes care of that pretty well.

Unscented baby wipes and A&D gel do a good job preventing and recovering from diaper rash.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

mikea96
Approved Member

Post by mikea96 »

Congratulations!

All I can say is do your best and spend as much time with them as you can because they grow up fast.

jwscab

Post by jwscab »

Congrats!!!!!!

Biggest challenge in the first year is SLEEP. Take turns working with your wife as much as you can. Walking rocking works awesome. The football hold works great for gassiness. Lay their belly on your forearm, the pressure helps their systems process.
They cry for three reasons. Hungry, gassy, or tired. We always did the leg exercises, like basically fold em up to help get the gas out.

There will be blowouts. You will be in awe at how someone small can explode and get poo everywhere. Those days you just dunk right in the bath.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

TokyoProf wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:10 am I became a new dad to a newborn son. Strange for me to say it after all these years. I was THAT guy thinking it wasn't necessary, that it would be okay unmarried and without kids. No looking back now lol! Typing this as I try to figure out the basics of holding, changing, burping, balancing work, being sleepless etc. Any fatherhood advice, your fatherhood journey comment's welcome.
Congratulations!

Everyones kid is different so most advice is rubbish. So here is mine ready for the bin.

There is something magical about carrying a screaming baby outside. I found that going outside the front door was like a portal to calm.

The kids will hit milestones long before you realize.
I used bed time as an excuse to a read book I wanted to outloud. It put them to sleep and kept me entertained.

Talk out loud about everything you are doing, take them places, stores etc. The begin to understand long before they speak.

Keep your toilet spotlessly clean. When you have item with poop on them rinse them in the toilet before the sink to keep contamination to a minimum.

Pick a go to song(s) to calm them down. I sang the "battle hymn of the republic" to my sons. Really anysong you can repeat a few hundred times will work.

Go to everything you can with your kid while they are young.

Take lots of pictures, Be sure to cull them. You can have so many pictures it's like having none. Also take videos of daily life and little.

There were some sounds that my kids made while getting bigger that have faded. I wish I had them recorded.

TokyoProf
Approved Member

Post by TokyoProf »

Thank you all! I really appreciate the practical advice around infant fathering too...your stories and suggestions are so helpful! Lot of trial and error, dividing roles to make the process efficient. Taking a simple shower and eating a quiet meal suddenly became a small luxury haha.

In Korea, the government subsidizes post partum care facilities--immediately after birth which from my experience is a game changer. Imagine two weeks of constant 24-hour care (baby in a separate room), mixed in with morning and afternoon visits with our newborn brought to your personalized "hotel like room". They prepare and deliver three meals a day, pick up and fold your laundry, clean our room, give two snacks a day and provide massage for the mother, and "caring" workshops during the week. It's like a retreat/hotel stay, but filled with professionals whose aim is to help the mom heal and baby adapt to parenting. Yes, dads can stay at the facility as well. This has been part of Korean culture for a while, but doesn't seem to make a difference since it still has the lowest fertility rate in the world. Pics from my post-partum car facility. Had a choice to deliver in Japan, but dang Japanese homes are too cold...she said no thank you. Korea has the famous "ondol" heated floors.

Some pics below from my stay...
Attachments
0926C176-00DC-438B-BE00-AC321801B1D5_4_5005_c.jpeg
0926C176-00DC-438B-BE00-AC321801B1D5_4_5005_c.jpeg (77.78 KiB) Viewed 167 times
0926C176-00DC-438B-BE00-AC321801B1D5_4_5005_c.jpeg
0926C176-00DC-438B-BE00-AC321801B1D5_4_5005_c.jpeg (77.78 KiB) Viewed 167 times
6CE040A0-A59F-4444-9F8F-D2A0D0D2DD59_1_105_c.jpeg
13249244-7645-4790-A193-2AC27CF70726_1_105_c.jpeg
"Everyone is capable of so much more than they think they are." - Johnny Kim - Navy Seal, Doctor, Astronaut

TRX-1-3

Post by TRX-1-3 »

TokyoProf wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:08 pm Thank you all! I really appreciate the practical advice around infant fathering too...your stories and suggestions are so helpful! Lot of trial and error, dividing roles to make the process efficient. Taking a simple shower and eating a quiet meal suddenly became a small luxury haha.

In Korea, the government subsidizes post partum care facilities--immediately after birth which from my experience is a game changer. Imagine two weeks of constant 24-hour care (baby in a separate room), mixed in with morning and afternoon visits with our newborn brought to your personalized "hotel like room". They prepare and deliver three meals a day, pick up and fold your laundry, clean our room, give two snacks a day and provide massage for the mother, and "caring" workshops during the week. It's like a retreat/hotel stay, but filled with professionals whose aim is to help the mom heal and baby adapt to parenting. Yes, dads can stay at the facility as well. This has been part of Korean culture for a while, but doesn't seem to make a difference since it still has the lowest fertility rate in the world. Pics from my post-partum car facility. Had a choice to deliver in Japan, but dang Japanese homes are too cold...she said no thank you. Korea has the famous "ondol" heated floors.

Some pics below from my stay...
We had our third at Houm up in Seoul. Similar but not as "resorty". First two in the states were very nice hospital that serves rural community. Best part of that was the steak dinner on discharge day.
Hope you're doin' something fun.