Vintage AE Team / Worlds build thread

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

jcwrks
Approved Member

Vintage AE Team / Worlds build thread

Post by jcwrks »

I acquired a new build buggy from mikea96 several years ago. I was very pleased with his vision, but the purist in me decided to strip it down and make it an AE parts car only. The pic below shows some of the original parts that were sourced. Neon yellow chassis is an original B stamp. Other parts were scr8p's Flashback RC towers and braces, Conklin aluminum outdrives, Hydra-drive, MIP shock bodies, and Lunsford Ti turnbuckles.

mikea96_parts.jpg

Since I already have a few all white nylon builds I figured a zebra would mix things up a bit. I opted for 6037 World's towers, battery, and trans brace. The turnbuckles are the late B2 style, so I'll use them along with white ball cups. Shocks are from a 6037 Worlds kit. Nose tubes were black, so I sanded them down with 600 grit along with the wing tubes. Caster blocks are 25 degree. I didn't really take any pics of it disassembled or the years that it sat in limbo.

IMG_5038 (Large).jpg
IMG_5039 (Large).jpg

Wheels, tires, body, and electronics are already set aside. I'll post some updates once more progress has been made.
The official TX SKUNK

Shane301
Approved Member

Re: Vintage AE Team / Worlds build thread

Post by Shane301 »

I think we’ve recently spoken about this build🤔 it’s about time this thing gets some love. Nice to see a nice clean build using AE parts sprinkled with some hop up. Excited to see it come together
Collecting all Vintage Associated Offroad and DS
Specific Tamiya
Losi Trucks

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

I finally set some time aside to do some more work on this build. I passed on the B2 style turnbuckles and stuck with the same style used for the earlier Team/Worlds. AE Ball studs are all the later stainless variant. I wanted to keep my Worlds shock kit intact for another project, so I sourced color matching .71 hard ano bodies to the 1.32's I have had for a while. Unfortunately I only have 4 new black metal shock caps. I need to decide if I want to use those or the 6428 2nd gen plastic caps in the USA flag header packaging. I planned on using the metal caps on MIP shock bodies for my Andy's Pro Race, so I still need to mentally sort that one out. I don't recall ever seeing a Team or Worlds kit with plastic caps though. Even my nib 6035 Team with all black parts and literature marked "Winter 1995" has metal shock caps.

IMG_6149.JPG
IMG_6150.JPG
IMG_6151.JPG
The official TX SKUNK

jcwrks
Approved Member

Post by jcwrks »

Shocks are finally built using 1.02 rear and .71 front hard chrome shafts with the recommended spacers. Time to finish up the small details such as a few missing e-clips and roll pins, then I can move on the wheels and electronics.

IMG_6233 (Large).jpg
IMG_6234 (Large).jpg
The official TX SKUNK