Spray Paint types for Lexan

Show off your paintwork, tips/tricks, decals, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GreenBar0n

Re: Spray Paint types for Lexan

Post by GreenBar0n »

Camera flash.

Flourescent light no flash.

Bit of sun on it.

The window masks were shabby on this HPI body, bled through. I already have Tamiya Polycarbonate paint cleaner, so I'll wipe that blue off the windows.

I must've used 4-5oz., or half the can, just hosed it. We'll see if it requires a backing color when it fully dries.

Not sure if it will match the real one, but I do really like the color. This still has the outer wrap on, need to decide if it needs another coat, before removing the wrap.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Awesome. That come out nice. Thankfully the bleed through is at the windows and not on a paint job with another color underneath. If you can't see through the paint in person I'd call it done. 👍

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

How do you attach the back of the body? I have this HPI body but haven't used it because I really dislike that the rear section is separate.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

[/quote]
Dangeruss wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 4:28 pm Awesome. That come out nice. Thankfully the bleed through is at the windows and not on a paint job with another color underneath. If you can't see through the paint in person I'd call it done. 👍
Thanks @Dangeruss!

I used that Tamiya Polycarbonate cleaner, and it took every last bit of the blue off the windows, so easily, I was so happy. And then I looked down and noticed that I had dripped one tiny dot of that stuff, on the rear behind the split glass, and the blue bubbled up and went clear! I was so disappointed with myself. Had to wipe that off, ruining the paint back there, and then go back with PS-55 Flat Clear to put the foundation for the spot back on, and now I'm layering over it with 976. Amateur :x.

Fortunately this automotive paint is solid, no backing color necessary with enough coats. Plus I'm afraid to change the color, with a backing coat.

Frankentruck wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 5:35 pm How do you attach the back of the body? I have this HPI body but haven't used it because I really dislike that the rear section is separate.
That rear bumper section is the only bad thing about this HPI body, that and the first one I got the decals were cut so poorly, that many of them were ruined trying to get them off the sheet. That's why I have reverse lights now.

The rear bumper never looks perfect.

I used 3M DS tape the full length and sides. I see the kit comes with nuts and bolts, but without instructions on where exactly those go. I've seen people use those bolts to hold the rear bumper on, but that looks really bad. The 3M DS seems to be good, but I have yet to take it down the road or into a curb. That's coming soon though, I'll report back on if it holds.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

PS-31 Smoke over PS-55 Flat Clear, goes from see through, to black out, pretty quick. I went a bit father than I wanted to.

The worst of it, the bad and the ugly: 976 Blue overspray in the back window, the strange little PS-31 Smoke runs over the passenger window, and right were the Corvette sticker goes on the rear passenger side is where that nasty spot is where the Polycarb cleaner ate through.

Will report back on the durability of the paint. Seems pretty strong. Color matching in a couple of days. Decals may clean up the bad parts still, hoping so.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Just had the craziest thing happen with an Alclad Chrome lexan paint can, put it in hot water when the room temp was already 84°, shook it for about a minute and poof:

Brand new can and all of that heat and agitation popped the button, felt weird when it happened as I was shaking it, made a pop noise too. Lucky it didn't blow the bottom off, what a nightmare that would've been. I'll only be using the hot water trick on cold cans from now on.