09 Vonats entry buildup of a Supershot

The place for all things Tamiya.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Brandon G
Approved Member

09 Vonats entry buildup of a Supershot

Post by Brandon G »

Won this yesterday:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160295710022&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=006

Always wanted a Hotshot type buggy. Nice thing about this car is is that most the re-re Hotshot stuff is a direct bolt on....

I will take more pics when it gets in, and progress along the way....

highwayracer
Approved Member

Re: 09 Vonats entry buildup of a Supershot

Post by highwayracer »

Nice score Brandon. If you plan to run this, make sure that you pick up an extra chassis (upper). The weak point of this buggy is where the rear gearbox connects to the chassis.

Regards,
highwayracer

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

highwayracer wrote:If you plan to run this, make sure that you pick up an extra chassis (upper). The weak point of this buggy is there the rear gearbox connects to the chassis.
Yes!! another HS to race! :lol:
I ran a fractured chassis (the little ear the top bolt goes thru snaps all the time) for the entire VONats. CA glue is a wonderful thing.... :wink:
The only problem I encountered is that once the chassis is broken the HS relies on the rollcage to keep the backend attached to the buggy which in turn snaps off the rollcage mounts on the rear gearbox. :roll: It's still on the shelf in need of a rebuild. :(
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

OK, will the Kyosho ZX-5 wheels fit on the Hotshot with the 12mm hex adapters installed on the axles?

I really like the black Dark Impact wheels, but it seems Tamiya doesn't like to make replacement parts for these things for more than a few weeks after they are released.
Does anyone know if they are hex front and rear?

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

Brandon never crashes though so he's all set, I marshalled for a 25 minute main for him last weekend. I think he only crashed 3 or 4 time in 25 minutes, I crashed 10 times in 5!!! but still qualified 2nd :roll:
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

highwayracer
Approved Member

Post by highwayracer »

civilguy wrote:The only problem I encountered is that once the chassis is broken the HS relies on the rollcage to keep the backend attached to the buggy which in turn snaps off the rollcage mounts on the rear gearbox.
That's good information. I wasn't running the rollcage when I tapped an obstacle and front went one way while the rear went a different direction (pulling the tamiya bullet connectors for the motor apart).

I wonder if the CRP battery door will help the situation...since it's much stiffer than the stock unit.

Regards,
highwayracer

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

highwayracer wrote:I wonder if the CRP battery door will help the situation...since it's much stiffer than the stock unit.
The CRP battery door helps with chassis flex a lot, but once that top bolt's a-rockin' there's not much you can do. The CRP battery door seems to help stop the chassis from breaking in the first place. That said, the CRP front a-arm stabilizer is a must as well.

As far as tires, you can run any 12mm hex buggy wheel with the Tamiya hex adapters, but the axles seem a little short on HPI Super Stars. I just had to use loctite to keep the wheel nuts on. I'm not sure on the DI wheels-- I just went with the affordable and in-stock wheels.

On a side note, all my comments are based on original HS parts-- I don't have any re-re experience, so things may have changed slightly.

Good luck Brandon!

BTW it looks more like a Supershot there to me. I re-read the auction, but that has a SS roof, the SS dogbones and looks like gold wheels w/ pin spike tires- all Supershot. Someone bought a lot of hop-ups bitd. The only thing missing is the underguard-- and the fact that one of the side battery bars looks like it is hinged to open out the side makes me think that this may have had one at one point. It'll be interesting to see when you get this apart. ;)
The preceding contained opinions, beliefs and thoughts that all may not agree with. No offense was intended at any point. Carry on.
Jeff

Mr. ED
Approved Member

Post by Mr. ED »

those black wheels are losi hex for the front and crosspin for the rear; won't be easy to get it to work on a hs or ss.

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

Lots of wheels still available through Tamiya USA, although Tower and Horizon don't stock them.

53880/53881 are 2.2 4wd 12mm hex.

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=53881

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/item.php?product-id=53880

53086/53089 are 2.1 but also 12mm hex.

Got a re-re Hotshot for my bday, had to get some different wheels... :D

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Civil: yeah, it's defo a supershot. one of the reasons I got it. I just refer to them all as a hotshot type.....

I have been looking everywhere for the Tamiya front wheels (white with holes in the outside perimeter) Thankyou for the link!

I was looking at the 3 racing site, and the set of wheels that are on the Blinged Hotshot in this tamiya section are said to be made specifically for the ZX-5. With that said, I believe the ZX5 wheels will work out. Hex is the same, backspacing may be a different story. Price is a little better than the Tamiya wheels at $5 a pair.

Waiting patiently for a box in the mail....

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Oh boy....

I bought this car for the sole desire for the aluminum bits that set this car apart from the Hotshot. With a few exceptions thats what I got.

Obviously wheels and tires are not a concern cause it will have up to date shoes on it eventually. Chassis is cracked all over the place. Rear gearbox is "stressed". front arms need replacement. Missing center driveshaft. It will need new bearings all around. A body too. Like I said, the aluminum bits are all in good shape along with the rear shock tower, but almost every other plastic part will need replacement with exception of the roll cage and the rear a-arms.

And so the fun begins. I will get some before, during, and after shots posted soon.

I'm thinking of yellow for the body color. Hotshot body will be used due to sheer availability of it. I have a new set of the TRF buggy dampers for suspension duty.

civilguy
Approved Member

Post by civilguy »

Welcome to Hotshot ownership! ;)
Like I said before I don't have re-re experience, but every time I work on my runner it seems like I find more 'stressed' parts! :lol: It's never ending-- that's why I keep all my worn parts in the event that something breaks I can use an almost-broken part rather than a new one.
Good luck & looking forward to more!!

On a side note I'm waiting on a DF02 to arrive here-- I am interested in Tamiya's more modern take on the 4wd buggy. Mine is less of a nail-biter though as I know the seller and am sure it will be a fine runner. 8)
Jeff

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Here are a few "as received" pics

It's rough, but fixable.

I just finished going through the whole car last night. In my reuse pile exists all the aluminum bits that only come on the Supershot, the dogbones, the front knuckles, rear hubs, and trans outdrive cups. I could save some of the bearings, but I will just replace with new.

Everything else will be new. I'm sure some of the parts could be reused, but why take a chance relying on 15 yr old used gear to get the job done....
Attachments
DSC00870.JPG
DSC00871.JPG
DSC00874.JPG
DSC00875.JPG
DSC00876.JPG

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Parts are trickling in. I should get the remainder of them on Friday, if USPS runs. Just assembled the TRF aeration dampers. Very nice.

Can't wait to start building!

Brandon G
Approved Member

Post by Brandon G »

Some updated pics.....
Attachments
DSC00883.JPG
DSC00882.JPG
DSC00881.JPG
DSC00880.JPG
DSC00879.JPG