Team car / Stealth RC10

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

nicefrog
Approved Member

Team car / Stealth RC10

Post by nicefrog »

I used to race this sometime in the early 90s it's been in the shed ever since but I thought I'd digg it out and show it to you guys, it hasn't been run in over 15 years I think and maybe one of the oldest all black stealth bomber themed cars that exsists. I can't remember exactly which car of Masami's the chassis mods are copied off but back in the day I modified the chassis to be pretty much an exact copy of Masami's car. It used to be the quickest car in 27T class at the local club when I ran the slot machine motor and was only a couple of grams over the legal weight limit. The spring setup is exactly how it was whenI last raced it and as far as I can remember was also copied from Masami's car (I was obessed) so there maybe something in that for someone into the history of these things. All the rods and arms on the car are titanium.

I allways wanted to upgrade it to the wider front arms that was a option for this model not long after it was released so if anyone knows about that kit and if there's any new old stock laying around I'd like to get hold of those parts to finally make the car how I wanted it

P.S I'm not sure how it ended up with the blue battery holder, it had a black one when first built :)
stealth1.jpg
stealth2.jpg
stealth3.jpg

scr8p
Administrator

Re: Team car / Stealth RC10

Post by scr8p »

most likely, the front end your talking about would be the rpm "worlds" conversion. which has been discontinued for quite some time. and when you find them, they bring some serious coin.
rpmworlds7077kit.jpg
rpmworlds7077kit.jpg (46.19 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
rpmworlds7077kit.jpg
rpmworlds7077kit.jpg (46.19 KiB) Viewed 3091 times
but, you can piece a kit together, although it won't be all that cheap, neither. first you'll need a 10t noseplate, 10t front bulkhead, 10t inner front hinge pins, and 10t nose brace tubes. the worlds conversion had a special front shock tower, but you could use the tower from a 10t/t2 if need be. it'll bolt right up, but the top of the shocks lean in more. you'll also need a pair of 1.02 shocks for the front now, too.

then you'll need to get these arms. they're a copy of the rpm worlds front arms. they are sold individually at $8.00 a piece....

http://dynotech-racing.com/partDetail.php?RefNum=2701

dynotech also reproduces the worlds front tower in carbon fiber for i think $40. there's a thread about them somewhere on the forum.

nicefrog
Approved Member

Post by nicefrog »

Thanks for the info scr8p,
There's a old video of the car running here http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=wNQUKp9GTHk
It wasn't setup at all for that 80% concrete track I went to visit but it's the only footage I have of the car running

scr8p
Administrator

Post by scr8p »

ahh....... the good old days of flags on the antenna tubes. :mrgreen:

nicefrog
Approved Member

Post by nicefrog »

Hey I'm almost ready to take this thing for a drive but I can't find a pinion gear, are they available anywhere? can I use one from a b4?, I can't even remember how many teeth I used to run but I had it geared for a bit more top speed than stock as I had a pretty good stock motor in it, now I don't so if I can just find out what was the typical pinion for a 27 turn i'll be happy

markt311
Approved Member

Post by markt311 »

20 to 22 tooth 48 pitch pinion, any one will work
Mark

Aaaaahhhh crap! I'm about to get passed by that orange truck!

a01butal
Approved Member

Post by a01butal »

Nice wing, looks like a Tecnacraft aero-foil painted black.

This is all very interesting!

nicefrog
Approved Member

Post by nicefrog »

I found the associated pinion gears on towerhobbies before: ) thanks. Yeah I believe that's what the wing is (that sounds right to my memory) and yes it's just painted black. I kind of wish I still had the original wing on it. I bought a complete rolling B2 team car on ebay a couple of days ago, it'll be a while until I have it but I bought a few b3 parts for it so I can drive it without worrying about breaking the rare(er) b2 stuff, I'm interested in seeing what gains associated made over those years.

I also need to post a picture of a modified gold pan I had in a box in the shed. It's got an aftermarket carbon chasis and carbon shock towers, needs a few little parts but hopefully I'll be able to get some videos soon of Alloy Team car VS modified Original vs B2/3 vs Losi :)

nicefrog
Approved Member

Post by nicefrog »

Went for a spin with this today first run in about 16 years, the tires were slipping badly on the rims but still managed a picture. The car only has 1-2 hours run time on it since new so it still drives like a new one
iPhoto-4.jpg

nicefrog
Approved Member

Post by nicefrog »

I'm finally converting this car to the wide front end, using the Truck front end and tower for now. Not sure if I'll use the Klien arms or something else yet. I'm also converting an original gold tub I have that was converted to the later arms and aftermarket carbon chasis back into a gold tub. I don't know the entire history of that 6 gear car since I bought it in 1991 after it was modified but since all the plastics are yellow other than the front end it's pretty safe to say it was one of the early cars. Anyway I'll just update this thread with pictures of both cars as I go along :). The cheapest way to get the parts to convert the team car was to buy 50% of a team truck so I guess at some stage I'll be obliged to bring a truck back to life now also

nicefrog
Approved Member

Post by nicefrog »

The old team truck arrived, I also ended up ordering a worlds tower from fibre-lyte so now I have all sorts of towers arriving. I had a play with some B3 arms and they seem like they would be a good fit on the back. but I guess there's resistance to using parts quite that modern :0 on these old is new cars. B2 arms look like a bolt on job on the front, but if I ever do find some new B2 arms (not easy) they are going on my B2 :p (it's running B3 front arms right now:(, the only non B2 parts on it). Anyway I'll end up running the Klien arms like everyone else, but I was just seeing what fits where.

I'm hoping the Team C shocks from the truck (or maybe back of the buggy) will be the right size for the worlds conversion, since I like those shocks better than the Associated ones and they are a similar colour too so that's all good. I ended up ordering some original RC10 offset JCracing wheels too, he told me he still makes wheels for the B2 also, If anyone is interested in those?

nicefrog
Approved Member

Post by nicefrog »

Today I got the 2.2 inch jcracing wheels in the mail, those are some seriously straight and good wheels, very high quality, I'm going to buy another set for the other car. Tomorrow I'll take some pictures of the stuff I've collected so far and where I'm up to with the car/s so at least the thread looks pretty :), most of the other stuff I need should be here next week

nicefrog
Approved Member

Post by nicefrog »

Still no pictures to to my slackerness. But today I found front and rear Worlds car towers NIP :D. I will assume that's rare stuff (asc6232 and asc6377) but I'm going to use them on this team car to make it a bit more crash proof as it will be my vintage racer and I'm keeping it in the spirit of vintage racing without the wide front end (I'm also building a replica team car with the wide front end)

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Don't use those stock NIP towers on a runner, let me buy you some of Atlas's towers and you can send them to me, especially the 6232-

damn Al, nice catch on the Tecnacraft wing, I was sure it was a Yoke molded :oops:

nicefrog
Approved Member

Post by nicefrog »

Charlie don't surf wrote:Don't use those stock NIP towers on a runner, let me buy you some of Atlas's towers and you can send them to me, especially the 6232-

damn Al, nice catch on the Tecnacraft wing, I was sure it was a Yoke molded :oops:
Once they arrive (comming from the UK) I might take you up on that, I was thinking about getting those towers, but then these come up for around the same price so I figured I'd go for the associated parts. But if you want them for a shelf car then I might have to give them up. Especially if I can buy some klien arms and send them to your house and get you to forward them to me if we do the tower deal (they don't have any international shipping on the site:S (I'm in Australia))

The tecnacraft wing I don't need, it was only ever sitting on the car as I broke the original wing the last time the car raced. Since it's never been on it's lid, apart from being painted that wing is 100% perfect. (the paint might be removable I don't know:?) , anyway maybe someone wants to swap me something for that because I wont be using it. I've got a big wing on the car right now and I like it much better like that. I also have a unrestored Tamiya bruiser that is pretty much complete that I don't really want anymore, I think I'll stick that on ebay one day and turn it into a modern buggy :0