RC10 Classic 40th anniversary

Everything pertaining to the RC10 buggy re-releases.
Classic, Classic Clear, World's, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

azone

Re: RC10 Classic 40th anniversary

Post by azone »

thanks for the reply. I actually love to color of the 40th parts and the shiny gold chassis which is pretty far off any old RC10's - even the deeper gold ones. As for my kits they were purchased brand new in the box, I built them. So they are as good an example as one may get - kind of why I bought the question up. Also, if you do peroxide the parts get yellow again quickly and more yellow. It's been almost two decades there's no chance they were messed with they were still in original bags. I'll try to post it soon.

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Ok, so now that we’ve hit the 40 year anniversary - Will someone please explain what the two holes are for on the top of the motor plate :lol:

- limestang
Attachments
IMG_5310.jpeg

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

I should have known the answer was here somewhere:

https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=45530
Attachments
IMG_5312.png
IMG_5312.png (163.91 KiB) Viewed 388 times
IMG_5312.png
IMG_5312.png (163.91 KiB) Viewed 388 times

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

same as some of our trailing arm parts, like the shock mounts with the 1/8" holes that are used to jig them up for drilling
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

1300GT

Post by 1300GT »

limestang wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:17 pm Ok, so now that we’ve hit the 40 year anniversary - Will someone please explain what the two holes are for on the top of the motor plate :lol:

- limestang
Speed holes.
:lol:
Chris.

Toys.............they are!

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

Top Conspiracy theories:

1) weight reduction
2) rain drainage ports
3) chassis harmonic resonance tuning
4) aluminum conservation society requirement
5) top secret aerodynamic enhancement
6) 70/30 wt distribution
7) holy grail requirement
8) improved motor cooling
9) mounting holes for future super charger
10) make people ask “what these 2 holes for”

- limestang

EmptyHand
Approved Member

Post by EmptyHand »

fotomatt1 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 2:06 pm I'm a few steps into my build when I came to the transmission. One of the few tools I don't have are snap-ring pliers. I'm probably going to grab a set later, but just curious if there's a trick to installing snap-rings (c-clips) without them? Thanks in advance.
Send me a PM if you bungle one/both up. I did and have a bag of 50 (!) rings from McMaster that match the kit part perfectly in dimensions and materials. Would gladly mail you a replacement if you’re in the USA.

The bearing kit requires 2 bearings in this step where there is a single bushing. I mistakenly installed a single bearing amd quickly realized I needed to pull the ring out. I got it out but bent it. Oh, and the snap ring pliers from McMaster worked beautifully. A bit spendy but worth it if you ever think you’ll open the drive gears up in the future.

Good luck!

fotomatt1

Post by fotomatt1 »

Thank you....I got it done. Ordered a pair of snap ring pliers last night on Amazon and they showed up today. Took 2 seconds with the right tool. I had forgotten what a royal PITA the fastners are on the RC10....C-clips, E-clips, and roll pins! Would it have killed AE to throw in a few extras the way Tamiya and Kyosho always have? It's a miracle I haven't lost one of the small e-clips...although I did spend some time looking for one on the floor.

My build is almost complete....but still haven't decided on a motor / esc....

Brendan2904
Approved Member

Post by Brendan2904 »

fotomatt1 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:08 pm Thank you....I got it done. Ordered a pair of snap ring pliers last night on Amazon and they showed up today. Took 2 seconds with the right tool. I had forgotten what a royal PITA the fastners are on the RC10....C-clips, E-clips, and roll pins! Would it have killed AE to throw in a few extras the way Tamiya and Kyosho always have? It's a miracle I haven't lost one of the small e-clips...although I did spend some time looking for one on the floor.

Which ones did you order?

EmptyHand
Approved Member

Post by EmptyHand »

fotomatt1 wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 10:08 pm Thank you....I got it done. Ordered a pair of snap ring pliers last night on Amazon and they showed up today. Took 2 seconds with the right tool. I had forgotten what a royal PITA the fastners are on the RC10....C-clips, E-clips, and roll pins! Would it have killed AE to throw in a few extras the way Tamiya and Kyosho always have? It's a miracle I haven't lost one of the small e-clips...although I did spend some time looking for one on the floor.

After a few flying e-clips I finally decided to assemble inside of a 1-gallon ziplock bag :P Waaaay too much time on hands and knees with flashlight looking for those little buggers.

Had the same thought about throwing in a few spare like Tamiya. Literally costs them like $0.50. I’m new to AE and now understand the complaints about how poorly they’ve managed their re-re program.

limestang
Approved Member

Post by limestang »

I found the old style E clips are much easier to install. I used them on the shocks after having the chrome ones fly into never never land :lol:

- limestang

EmptyHand
Approved Member

Post by EmptyHand »

Just noticed that one of my rear stub axles is NOT threaded while attempting to install the rear tire lock nut.
3 of the axles are threaded, this one is smooth.

I opened an AE service request for a new axle and roll pin... will keep everyone updated on what they say.

VERY annoyed as this was the final step in the build and here I am removing e-clips and a roll pin and probably waiting 3 weeks for parts. :evil:
IMG_0970.jpeg

Frankentruck

Post by Frankentruck »

Do you know anyone with a tap and die set? Adding a 1/4-20 UNC thread (edit: actually 8-32 thread. Thanks Joseph!) wouldn't be too difficult. Very annoying though, yes. Someone else here had that happen with a Tamiya or Kyosho kit not long ago. I'm surprised this happens, but apparently it does. If AE doesn't get back to you quickly, I'm sure I have a stub axle I could send your way. Just PM me a shipping address.
Frankensteined RC10T3 / Franky Jr RC10GT-e (x2) / A+ stamp / Toy Story RC / Graphite replica / B1.5 BFG 5LTi / Clonewald / Hyper Hornet

"I love the effort, but it sure looks like you took the long way around to a tub again"

EmptyHand
Approved Member

Post by EmptyHand »

Frankentruck wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:15 pm Do you know anyone with a tap and die set? Adding a 1/4-20 UNC thread wouldn't be too difficult. Very annoying though, yes. Someone else here had that happen with a Tamiya or Kyosho kit not long ago. I'm surprised this happens, but apparently it does. If AE doesn't get back to you quickly, I'm sure I have a stub axle I could send your way. Just PM me a shipping address.
Really appreciate that! Not tap and die set handy unfortunately. I'll give AE an opportunity to make things right first.... hope to report back with some good news.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

Frankentruck wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 2:15 pm Do you know anyone with a tap and die set? Adding a 1/4-20 UNC thread wouldn't be too difficult. Very annoying though, yes. Someone else here had that happen with a Tamiya or Kyosho kit not long ago. I'm surprised this happens, but apparently it does. If AE doesn't get back to you quickly, I'm sure I have a stub axle I could send your way. Just PM me a shipping address.
The thread would be an 8-32 not a 1/4-20

The threaded part of the axle is far less than a 1/4.