ROAR bans Trinity d3.5 17.5 spec motor

Brushless, lipo, spectrum, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Re: ROAR bans Trinity d3.5 17.5 spec motor

Post by templeofspeed »

Let's go back in history a bit. Just for fun...

Dipped, zapped, lubed, bitch slapped... and fully ROAR legal...from 1979 or so. Typical Ernie product...the only modified part was probably the package label. I'd guess the 17.5 debacle is all related to manufacturing at the lowest level. Just my opinion. Brushless stock racing is kind of a joke in this day and age.
Burchjr replica.jpg

templeofspeed
Approved Member

Post by templeofspeed »

Funny, when I raced superstock HO cars I would use a modified/restricted open (15ohm...or so) resistor in my controller...basically the low band was for the slowest corner. It was fun to pull full trigger on the short straights and cause the other guys to crash because they were using 45 ohm resistors and could not control that fine resolution. This was back when an unlimited car was still based on a 440X2 chassis...and I would use a 3.5 ohm resistor for the Unlimited cars with a Beedle "two turns of coat hanger" arm with glued in neo magnets. That takes me back, I guess.... We used 18V from 3x 6v forklift batteries.

That was some fun times.

Charlie don't surf wrote::lol: I was on "study break" :wink:

There's way more still.... one of the best tricks in 27t stock racing besides re-wound 21t motors :evil: were home made speedos. basically like drag speedos, only one option- all stop, or all go- (these haven't made it into BL just yet) one of my greatest tricks that brought me a State Championship and two Summernationals wins in 06' was to apply this to Modified racing using a LRP ipc SR with no resistor block, a relatively high wind mod for oval (10x3 H/V split wind Checkpoint) and when setting my transmitter to the ESC I would dial in about 50% drag brake at the transmitter, then go through syncing them together. After that was done you would bring your transmitter ATL back to 0, and your throttle was light switch- 2mm pull and you were full throttle instantly.
The warm-up race before the Nats was at the home track of Multi-National Champ Pete D'Agnolo who was also the track record holder. I went to the race, qualified 2nd out of 60 and Pete was about 4/10ths faster than me overall. I'm outside front row, Pete is on the inside (both of us are really quick to start on the tone, non of that wait for the tone to finish sounding then go thing) tone starts and I lay into it, cross in front of Pete and apex the corner at full wood and I'm entering the next turn before anyone else is off the first turn, led the race for the next 3 min on Pete's tail trying to lap him, and we were 2 laps up on everyone else. L/F upper shock mount self adjusted up by 10mm and the car went to hell, but the trick worked.

Orange
Approved Member

Post by Orange »

All these tricks are really old news. Reggie brings back memories of when I worked at Hacker. :)
Sean Sanchez
Gallery:
The World is Orange! Latest Update: 03/31/16
My feedback

mmdm4

Post by mmdm4 »

Charlie don't surf wrote:
Lonestar wrote:
Charlie don't surf wrote:It's really a 15.5 by wire length, thats the Issue
Good Ol' Ernie... he really can't help himself, can he... :mrgreen:
This was Deiters trick, but no....Ernie never could :lol:
Would that be James Deiter, who used to race at the JOROCC races in the Plainfield/Joliet area?

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Yup, I believe he's still in that area.

GoMachV

Post by GoMachV »

is that the same Deiter as the old Deiter-bilt cars I drooled over in the magazines back in the day? Very innovative person
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

Yup, Jim is, and was still very innovative.

AscotConversion
Approved Member

Post by AscotConversion »

Funny about the "dipped" motor...I was at a race last weekend with a long time Associated driver (like since 1980) who was telling me that he may have accidentally discovered water dipping dropping a used motor into a water cup to clean it. It was so much better, he tried it with a new motor and it worked there too. Later on, everybody started using Pepsi after one guy used a half finished cup of Pepsi and melted ice at a race where no water was available....the Pepsi worked even better than the water LOL

jayman24
Approved Member

Post by jayman24 »

If I remember correctly I was at CRC's pre-birds race. I wanted to go to Snowbirds so bad, and the Cleveland race too. I have two little ones and an 8 year old stepson. Couldn't leave the wife with all that commotion. I would've never raced again!