Raider "Ball Link" Broken - Replacement Options?

The place for all things Kyosho.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Raider "Ball Link" Broken - Replacement Options?

Post by Snaab9-2 »

Today wasn't my day. I was out running my Turbo Raider and making my first narrative video on Youtube and I ran out of memory about 2/3rd in.... figures. I had hit a cone earlier and cracked my "ball link" end so it no longer will stay on the ball joint (4.5 mm). I was looking in the manual and it is Part of R-10 (page 11) https://www.competitionx.com/pdf/vehicle-manuals/kyosho/kyosho-raider-2wd-manual.pdf but of course I cannot find it anywhere. Any ideas? Do you think this might fit?
(https://www.rcmart.com/serpent-ball-joint-set-4-5mm-411206-00035385) IDK, not sure if they will fit the ball or the metal steering rod.

Also, as for the gearing in this car. The manual says it is limited to a 14 or 15 tooth pinion (page 6 in the manual) but I am wondering if I can maybe get a bigger one in there as it appears it has some adjustment in how the motor sits. IDK if I might be able to get a 20 or something in there to get some more speed out of the car. Anyone try going with a bigger pinion in a Raider? Lastly, does anyone know what mesh the gears are? Thanks!

juicedcoupe

Re: Raider "Ball Link" Broken - Replacement Options?

Post by juicedcoupe »

What size rod is it?

My older Kyosho stuff uses 4.5mm ball ends with M3 threads, but have a small 2mm threaded rod. That is going to be a hard find.

If you intend to run it regularly, I'd look for a more viable replacement option. The original ends weren't great when new, so shelling out money for originals might not be the best idea.

Perhaps consider taking a common 3mm ball end and filling the plastic end with epoxy. After it cures, drill it smaller so that the rod can be threaded in. Then attach it with a M3 screw. If you can find a 4.5mm ball cup, the same idea should work.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

Snaab9-2
Approved Member

Post by Snaab9-2 »

juicedcoupe wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:36 pm What size rod is it?

My older Kyosho stuff uses 4.5mm ball ends with M3 threads, but have a small 2mm threaded rod. That is going to be a hard find.

If you intend to run it regularly, I'd look for a more viable replacement option. The original ends weren't great when new, so shelling out money for originals might not be the best idea.

Perhaps consider taking a common 3mm ball end and filling the plastic end with epoxy. After it cures, drill it smaller so that the rod can be threaded in. Then attach it with a M3 screw. If you can find a 4.5mm ball cup, the same idea should work.
I know one guy that is really generous (he fixed me up with a part I couldn't find for my Raider who might have an extra one laying around but otherwise I am 100% with you). No sense in shelling out money for the over priced low quality vintage parts.

I have no idea what size it is. Do you mean length? The lengths are different on each side. I guess I could try to find a kit and bend it to fit.

Interesting, so is it as simple as filling the end with epoxy and drilling it or would I need to tap it before I could thread in a new tie rod?

I had the wrong link in the post before.... I fixed it but here is the 4.5 mm ends I found but IDK.... thinking they night not be the same.

https://www.rcmart.com/serpent-ball-joint-set-4-5mm-411206-00035385

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

I was referring to the diameter of the rods. Mine were 2mm. Most commonly available ends are made to me used with 4-40 and 3mm rods.

And the original ends aren't tapped. They are just drilled a little undersized and the rods cut new threads when installed.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.