Help finding plastic TC shock parts

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

rwordenjr
Approved Member

Help finding plastic TC shock parts

Post by rwordenjr »

Need to find the plastic bits that go inside the team car shocks. Does anyone know where to get them ?

juicedcoupe

Re: Help finding plastic TC shock parts

Post by juicedcoupe »

I think that the 8456 rebuild kit is what they used. There are several on ebay right now.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

rwordenjr wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:17 pm Need to find the plastic bits that go inside the team car shocks. Does anyone know where to get them ?
I just saw that you have rc10t4's from your other posts. Can you take a picture of the shocks? There were 2 styles used on that car. Below is the instructions for the older style kit.

I am not sure that macro vcs kit will work on team car shocks.
Typically Associated part 6440
I don't see any on ebay but the kit is available www.valkyriercmotorsports.com for $16

Is what is used.

Are you sure you need the plastic parts? typically they can be reused and only the seals need to be changed
The Associated o-ring part number is 5407 The gaskets are still available.

rwordenjr
Approved Member

Post by rwordenjr »

Thank you so much ! The shocks are Teflon ones that came with team car. I’m rebuilding the shocks and bought the 6440 rebuild kit you said. When taking the old parts out, I had to use quite a bit of force and the parts are now cracked. On another note, do you know if wheels with this description would fit the stock team car ?

(2.2" diameter so modern tyres fit perfect.

Rear is for 1/4" axle with taper and front uses 3/16x5/16x1/8 flanged bearing).

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

rwordenjr wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:31 am Thank you so much ! The shocks are Teflon ones that came with team car. I’m rebuilding the shocks and bought the 6440 rebuild kit you said. When taking the old parts out, I had to use quite a bit of force and the parts are now cracked. On another note, do you know if wheels with this description would fit the stock team car ?

(2.2" diameter so modern tyres fit perfect.

Rear is for 1/4" axle with taper and front uses 3/16x5/16x1/8 flanged bearing).
can you send a picture of your car? Does it have a metal pan ?That would help out.

rwordenjr
Approved Member

Post by rwordenjr »

It’s in pieces now but this was before that.
Attachments
905B0366-3541-48E3-A8D2-2070E64E5519.jpeg

juicedcoupe

Post by juicedcoupe »

Sorry, I misread the original post on my phone.

I seen the "TC" in the title but didn't see the Team Car part in the post. My above post was for something like a TC3.
Always looking for new and interesting ways to waste money.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

rwordenjr wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:07 am It’s in pieces now but this was before that.
thats a nice looking car. I am not certain of the wheels you need but they exists. As well you can find tires for the original rims and hex adapters for the 1/4" rear axles to fit modern hex wheels. Make a separate thread.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

I found these https://www.jcracingproducts.co.uk/rc10
and the look like they should work, but I never interacted with the company

rwordenjr
Approved Member

Post by rwordenjr »

JosephS wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:04 am
rwordenjr wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:07 am It’s in pieces now but this was before that.
thats a nice looking car. I am not certain of the wheels you need but they exists. As well you can find tires for the original rims and hex adapters for the 1/4" rear axles to fit modern hex wheels. Make a separate thread.
Thank you! Definitely will post pics once I’m done with it. Rebuilding shocks, new turnbuckles, hardware, bearings, wheels and tires

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

rwordenjr wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:28 pm
Thank you! Definitely will post pics once I’m done with it. Rebuilding shocks, new turnbuckles, hardware, bearings, wheels and tires
I did my team car rebuild about a year ago. The avid bearing sets can be quite affordable, but in reality my old bearings were fine after a clean and oiling.

The lunsford turnbuckles are really nice, but the stock ones can be bent back into shape without too much fuss.

The 1/4" mount wheels are going to be much less expensive than replacing the axles, which I did.
J-concepts makes b2/b3 2.2 front wheels that seem to work just fine.

You should look at replacing the stock steering, Factory works and J-concepts both currently make steering kits.

Kidagain makes a carbon fiber replacement for the stock slipper disk. As far as I know that is the only source of slipper pads for the original stealth.

You may want to look in to rebuilding the diff. The diff balls and grease are easy to get and all that is needed for a basic rebuild.

If you notice that the plastic is brittle you may need to soak the plastic parts in water for a few days to re-hydrate them.

rwordenjr
Approved Member

Post by rwordenjr »

JosephS wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:26 pm
rwordenjr wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:28 pm
I did my team car rebuild about a year ago. The avid bearing sets can be quite affordable, but in reality my old bearings were fine after a clean and oiling.

The lunsford turnbuckles are really nice, but the stock ones can be bent back into shape without too much fuss.

The 1/4" mount wheels are going to be much less expensive than replacing the axles, which I did.
J-concepts makes b2/b3 2.2 front wheels that seem to work just fine.

You should look at replacing the stock steering, Factory works and J-concepts both currently make steering kits.

Kidagain makes a carbon fiber replacement for the stock slipper disk. As far as I know that is the only source of slipper pads for the original stealth.

You may want to look in to rebuilding the diff. The diff balls and grease are easy to get and all that is needed for a basic rebuild.

If you notice that the plastic is brittle you may need to soak the plastic parts in water for a few days to re-hydrate them.
Sweet! I got the Lunsford retro turnbuckles with rpm black ends, avid bearings,knk hardware and jconcepts steering assembly. I’ve also sourced a brand new chassis but I’m gonna run it with the used one.

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

You may want to look into the Lunsford black ends. The rpm ends are longer and thicker than stock and can cause some suspension binding on the front end.

I worked around it because I wanted white ends.

rwordenjr
Approved Member

Post by rwordenjr »

JosephS wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:15 pm You may want to look into the Lunsford black ends. The rpm ends are longer and thicker than stock and can cause some suspension binding on the front end.

So you got white rpm and it binds ?

JosephS

Post by JosephS »

rwordenjr wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:11 pm
JosephS wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:15 pm You may want to look into the Lunsford black ends. The rpm ends are longer and thicker than stock and can cause some suspension binding on the front end.

So you got white rpm and it binds ?
Yeah on the front bulkhead there is only a little clearance between in inner camber adjustment and the steering bellcrank ball cups. The rpm heavy duty ballcups are thicker than the stock ones so it can cause binding. I think I used 2 original ball cups just in that area so everything clears. I also had to cut down the ballcups on the link in the center front of the steering as the RPM links are a bit to long.

A bunch of companies make original sized ball cups, but the only white ones are the RPM heavy duty.

My build thread is here. I think I figured out a good enough solution for the RPM ball cups.