1/10 Scale On-Road - Chassis Options in 2024

For all things R/C, post '90s to today.

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GreenBar0n

Re: 1/10 Scale On-Road - Chassis Options in 2024

Post by GreenBar0n »

The '67 Tribute Vette to my late Stepfather's actual '67, is almost done. Going to finish the decals and mount the body magnets.

This paint job was done with Tamiya PS-55 Flat Clear as a primer, and then automotive paint, 976 Chevy Marina Metallic Blue, on top of the primer; more on the paint here: https://www.rc10talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=49044

Starting off with the worst mistakes on the paint job, of all of the body. The window trim decals bailed me out a bit, but I know what I did wrong. :oops:

This is the song that immediately went through my mind when I stepped back and took a hard look.

Going to finish this all up tonight, and go match the color to the real one tomorrow.

The HPI body only comes with the black or red hood stinger decal. Really want the white stinger to match, that's a rarity in that they are almost always black for '67. The white stinger is because this is 976 Marina Metallic Blue, over the Bright Blue interior. I think Goodwood Green also got the white stinger if the interior was also green, not certain about that though.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Too late to suggest using the HPI stingers as masks inside the hood so you can have white painted stingers... :?

$1.50 Hobby Lobby 8.5x11 white vinyl sheet, stick the HPI stinger to it, cut out around it, peel the HPI decal away... instant white stinger.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Dangeruss wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:58 am Too late to suggest using the HPI stingers as masks inside the hood so you can have white painted stingers... :?

$1.50 Hobby Lobby 8.5x11 white vinyl sheet, stick the HPI stinger to it, cut out around it, peel the HPI decal away... instant white stinger.
There's a really thin pin stripe that accompanies the stinger, that would be really hard to get right with a blade. MCI currently has the HPI Corvette decals, and they will change the color for a fee, been considering that, or a custom order from https://callie-graphics.com/. Thanks as always @Dangeruss!

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Turns out my Mom recently got Covid from her dentists office, and was still not feeling well today, so I didn't go over there and make any noise. Will go over there soon and match the color.

Took a moment today to finish the decals, minus the hood stinger and emblem which goes on top of the stinger.

Also finally got the magnetic mounts in order. This body has a weird shape, and it took a long time to get this to work. I'll get rare earth magnets for one side if this proves to be too weak for 25+ mph.

Kydex support.

Magnets located according to body mounts.

A lot more convenient than clips.

Rear on this model is never right.

Got the new full length body mounts for the Apex2, time to mount the other body.

Dangeruss
Approved Member

Post by Dangeruss »

Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she's feeling better today.

Ah, gotcha, didn't see there was a little pinstripe. Must look closer next time. Image

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Thanks @Dangeruss, really appreciate that! Mom is back to feeling well again, but needs another day or so for the contagious part to pass. I'll get over there soon and take pics of the color match, looking forward to it.

GreenBar0n

Post by GreenBar0n »

Getting back to the Tamiya M-08 VW Bus, I spent one hour separating the decals from the sheet, and rough cutting them.

Looks like two more hours of decals, 23 windows that have to be assembled in pieces, it starts to get painful after a while. Can only do one hour sittings for decals, my least favorite chore, but so important to the overall project, can't mess up.