Used Technacraft aluminum wheels...

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

Bent
Approved Member

Re: Used Technacraft aluminum wheels...

Post by Bent »

No problem, but if there is alotta oxidation on them you will have to remove that first. It will get rid of some of the oxidation but not alot of it so keep that in mind. Also its not a wax on wax off deal you will have to "scrub" and use some pressure. May take two rounds to get them really shinny. I've been on my 16 inch wheels for 2 days now but it'll be well worth it when done, just like your wheels.
RedScampi wrote:metal polish will make them shiny, it's the smoothess of the finish that really makes them stand out.
Scampi is right as well depending on the look you are after. If you want some shiny bling polish if you want smooth liquid metal mirror finish go with what scampi said.
You run me in the grass imma run you in the wall, drive like a racer not a flippin idiot

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!

CUDDZILLA
Approved Member

Post by CUDDZILLA »

RedScampi wrote:I'm not sure I have pics but I bought some beat up old aluminum wheels for cheap that were heavily oxidized and spotty. I used scotchbright, 0000 steel wool, and the dremel to polish them to a mirror finish. Aluminum is very forgiving. You just have to bite the bullet, scuff them and go through progressively finer media until you get the finish you like. Any metal polish will make them shiny, it's the smoothess of the finish that really makes them stand out.
Yes, you covered my concerns completely. I knew Scotchbrite would remove the stained/discolored material. I just wasn't sure where to go from there to restore the smooth finish.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!

Charlie don't surf
Approved Member

Post by Charlie don't surf »

I missed it if it was brought up already, but what about the centers?

shodog
Approved Member

Post by shodog »

As others have said to polish them nicely you need to spin them otherwise you'll get arthritis trying to polish them. I'm fortunate enough to have access to a lathe to do my dirty work. Depending on oxidization, you may need to use some 1200-1500 grit sand paper. These rims had a lot of oxidization. I used 1200 grit paper them the finest steel wool then mothers polish.

as for the centers you could paint them .

murphy3428
Approved Member

Post by murphy3428 »

If you do not have acess to a lathe this is your next best option for polishing them use these in drill press this will work just aswell as on a lathe just make sure to wear gloves while holding the wheels they will get hot http://www.ebay.com/itm/120377337780?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2648

CUDDZILLA
Approved Member

Post by CUDDZILLA »

Thanks for the info guys!!! Shodog...chucking them up in a lathe would be my first choice as well. Yours turned out INCREDIBLE!