A stamp nitro

General discussion, builds/restorations, etc...

Moderators: scr8p, klavy69

GoMachV

Re: A stamp nitro

Post by GoMachV »

The problem area is at full left lock, it's not pulling/pushing on the crank at the right angle and may have a hard time returning to center under a load

Try holding the wheels at full left lock and push the arm with the ball end. It's force is pointing to the pivot screw
It's time to stand up to the bully. Support the companies that support the industry, not the ones that tear it down. Say no to Traxxas
Factory Works website

clm
Approved Member

Post by clm »

That left full lock looks like if you hit a small bump it might overcenter and lock when the steering tries to center.

Chris
Losi - Jrx2, Pro, Jr2, Pro SE, JrxT, JrT, LXT, NXT, XXKE, XXTG+
Mini - T, LST, LST2, Crawler
Micro - Trekker, SCT, T
Crawlers - Trx4 Defender, Bootleg Bruiser Shelf Queen
-Bashers under contruction- Jrx2

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

The problem area is at full left lock, it's not pulling/pushing on the crank at the right angle and may have a hard time returning to center under a load
It has no problem doing so sitting static and running it with the TX. In motion, the caster angle will further assist.

It's angle of thrust is almost in line with the bellcrank fulcrum, but the ~5* it has at full lock is plenty to facilitate initiation of proper movement. This is a 3.8 lb buggy with little front wheels, not a 1/8 monster truck.

That left full lock looks like if you hit a small bump it might overcenter and lock when the steering tries to center.
It cannot go any further; if you look closely, you'll see that the servo saver is contacting the pan.

I appreciate the input, but trust me, if this arrangement were problematic, it would have been corrected already.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Well, it lives!

Gearing is way too steep, topping out at probably ~30, 35 MPH, but it runs! As well, the TRX pipe I had laying around is overly restrictive, meant to be used on weeny TRX .12 & .15 motors. It's choking this CV-R .18; no matter how much I played with the HSN, I couldn't get it to fully rap out. But that's OK, I'll find a pipe that works. Still have proof of concept and successful execution!

Haven't TIG welded the pipe yet. For now, it's just a double coupler.

We'll see if I can find some body posts at the hobby shop tomorrow.

As for gearing, probably go from the 15T/54T combo it has now to an 18T/48T set.
"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead; It is difficult only for others. It is the same when you are stupid."

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Oh man! :shock: Video please! :mrgreen:
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

Diggley
Approved Member

Post by Diggley »

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB wrote:Oh man! :shock: Video please! :mrgreen:
X2! :D
Projects and shelfers:
Late Edinger, RC10B2, Dual Sport, GT, Kyosho Turbo Ultima, Triumph, Tamiya Sand Scorcher, Blackfoot/Monster Beetle, '67 Beetle, Nikko Rhino, Traxxas Fiero, Slash, Hand-built Dune Buggy..all on here somewhere...

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Oh man! :shock: Video please!
Ask, and ye shall receive!

Sorry for the quality; battery in the good camera is dead, charger location unknown.

We did get the manifold TIG welded last night, in addition to shortening a 10GT pipe & making it rear exit.

Wish I could show better speed runs, but the blow sand on the roads out here makes it nigh impossible to control the 2WD stuff. It runs pretty good, probably topping out around 35 MPH with the current gearing (way too steep). Still playing with tuning, and might enlarge the exhaust outlet a little. I'm gonna change the clutch springs for sure, though; This set up came from an HPI WR8, and it's way too slow to engage for a 3.8 lb 1/10 scale car.

Anyway, here ya go:

(Link to youtube vid if photobucket buffering is taking too long: http://youtu.be/tnAOnvzkVvY)

Seabass
Business Member

Post by Seabass »

"You need to understand how small that thing is on here, about ten times smaller than what you see in real life"

what she is actually saying

"If the video turns out bad, don't blame me" :mrgreen:

Cool video, and yes that road is super slick.

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

Swapped in an HPI 20T clutch bell, mucho better! Will try to get it out on black top for a speed run, but obviously a notable increase going from 15T to 20T. Also cleaned what seemed to be some kind of residual oil seeping out of the clutch shoe material, and I have better engagement now.

This OS .18 was an eBay score; clearly low use, but per my communication, the seller had no idea about break-in & proper care. You can tell it's not as peppy as it should be, but still runs pretty good. However, it likes to run on the warm side, ~255, 260. I don't like that, but if I fatten it up, it bogs and won't rap out. So, time to start watching for a good price on a piston & sleeve. Can't really complain, though, since I won the motor for $43. Maybe I'll swap in the OS .15 CV I just rebuilt for the time being.

As an aside, if anyone has a good set of used or NOS 1.7" buggy tires they want to sell, please let me know. I keep missing the auctions, and I can't get these damn Tamiya tires to stay seated on the jelly beans.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Looks great, do justinspeed79, and your self live near each other, because that picturesque ranch looks the same :P

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

do justinspeed79, and your self live near each other, because that picturesque ranch looks the same
Nah, he's in Texas, I'm in Eastern Colorado.

You're actually seeing several properties there; most of the lots in my neighborhood are 5-8 acres.

marlo
Approved Member

Post by marlo »

Cool build, I've never done one, but will the battery pack not fit behind the rear shock tower?

Sixtysixdeuce
Approved Member

Post by Sixtysixdeuce »

will the battery pack not fit behind the rear shock tower?
Yeah, it would. I put it where I did because

-I omitted the on/off switch, so needed close proximity to the RX

-I wanted to offset engine weight as much as possible

-I didn't want wires running all the way up from the rear

THEYTOOKMYTHUMB

Post by THEYTOOKMYTHUMB »

Pipe sounds killer! 8) I'd love to see it on a smoother surface. Looks fun as hell!
"The world looks so much better through beer goggles: Enjoy today, you never know what tomorrow may bring."
Ken

justinspeed79
Approved Member

Post by justinspeed79 »

marlo wrote:Looks great, do justinspeed79, and your self live near each other, because that picturesque ranch looks the same :P
That's funny. I guess the angles I use to take pics of my cars without getting my embarrassingly crappy little old trailer that I live in in the pics are working. :lol:

But hey, I have a huge secluded yard right in the middle of town a half mile from work and all other bare necessities, and the rent is cheap, so I can buy lots of rc stuff with the money I save. It's not bad for a bachelor. :mrgreen: